Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dovestones
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I heard that there are some good trails in the Dovestones area. All I know of is the boring family trail around the reservoirs. Anyone know a map or GPX with the good stuff on?

Will be riding there from Greenfield (from Diggle/Standedge direction)

grannyjone
    Free Member

I mean Dovestones in the Saddleworth area. I heard theres some good stuff there. Whats the best descent from Greenfield down to Dovestones?

qtip

The descent off Alphin is great (see Strava for location, don’t think it’s on OS maps), but it’s an absolute pig to get to from pretty much any direction. More of a push up, ride down type affair.

jonnyrockymountain

See below my ride last Sunday dovestones if it helps
    https://www.strava.com/activities/380853534

mcnultycop

Ride, push, ride a bit and push up Chew Valley Road to Chew Reservoir. There is a little sort of rock cutting/quarry in the left. Push up the side of this, pick up Techincal Traverse trail as it’s known on strava, when you feel knackered pick a sheep trail and drop down back to the reservoir.

Also Ethel or Edith, I always forget which it’s called, is an ace jumpy, droppy push up and ride back down that’s over the wall, just after the gate after the boathouse.

dazh

I’ve always wondered if that sausage singletrack section is do-able, looks ok on google maps but the top bit looks like a bog-trot.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Didnt realise it was all pushing, might give Dovestones a miss

mcnultycop

It’s not pushing, Chew Road is just steep and long. I’m fat, it involves pushing!

The other trail I mentioned is a jumpy Trail, so I’d session and push up. It’s rideable up if you wanted.

There’s ace riding up there. It’s steep and the flat bits on the top are rocky

888trojan888
    Free Member

There is some good stuff left or right of the chew ressy.

Long drag up the chew road but all rideable. To the left you can do chew and long which is a reasonable techy route with 3-4 options for a descent back to dovestones and to the right you will eventually get to Alphin which is one of the best descents in the areas or if you peel off before Alphin you will pick up the secret sausage which will drop you out towards Tintwistle/Stalybridge way. The first bit is a bog fest but after that is an awesome singletrack…..follow the stakes!!!

if we have had some heavy rain I would give these routes a miss

Garry_Lager

There is some good stuff left or right of the chew ressy.

Long drag up the chew road but all rideable. To the left you can do chew and long which is a reasonable techy route with 3-4 options for a descent back to dovestones and to the right you will eventually get to Alphin which is one of the best descents in the areas or if you peel off before Alphin you will pick up the secret sausage which will drop you out towards Tintwistle/Stalybridge way. The first bit is a bog fest but after that is an awesome singletrack…..follow the stakes!!!

if we have had some heavy rain I would give these routes a miss I went up that last trail you mention, exploring [no one do this, go down it], and that is some serious bog on the top. Go up there in winter and you might not come back.

To the OP – the climb up to Alphin via Buckton quarry is a good one. Not on the OS map, but it’s easy navigation on the ground and a nice pull to the top. Decent effort but no hard gradients. You then have the choice of dropping all the way back down on a fine descent, or traversing across to Chew.

Pennine way over Black hill looks to be a good way of making some loops up there – must be busy with walkers though at the weekend? I know people are less up tight at the Peak top end compared to Edale etc, but the Pennine way must be one of the busier routes.

Harry_the_Spider

At a slight tangent… I’m related to the guy who the monument is dedicated too.

James Platt MP, he was out hunting and got the butt of his gun caught in his cape, he tripped, KA-BLAMMO, monument.

aazlad
    Free Member

Shhhhh! There’s absolutely no good riding at all in Saddleworth.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dovestones’ is closed to new replies.