Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • doctors, sports physio's, chiropractors, experienced knowledgable types
  • yunki
    Free Member

what muscle in my back could I have damaged without really realising it that has now caused a position dependant, dull ponderous ache, that feels as if my kidney is a distended and throbbing beachball on the point of explosion..?

any ideas..?

geoffj

Kidney infection.

mightymule
    Free Member

Hmmm – yes, could be kidney. Maybe best pop to the doctors.

bwaarp
    Free Member

chiropractors….. experienced knowledgable types

Hahahaharrrrrrr

nice oxymoron. :mrgreen:

DrP

A back muscle?

£60 please.

DrP

Edit- I refute my original diagnosis. I wonder if you’ve caught a chill in your kidneys? It’s almost as fatal as going out with wet hair….

mulv1976
    Free Member

Hahahaharrrrrrr
    nice oxymoron.

No. You’re just a moron 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

Well.. I woke in the night for a pee, and afterwards started having spasms in and around the effected area that were painful and strong enough to stop me breathing.. the pain came in waves and with me gasping for breath in between each wave it was a scene not unlike the delivery suite at the maternity unit..

The doctor arrived about 6am, by which time the pain had eased off a little..
    His diagnosis is that it’s probably either back pain or kidney problems

What a relief, I’m glad that’s settled then

🙄

Helios
    Free Member

Try a voodoo witch doctor… As reliable as a chiropractor, as many hours education, as likely to suceed, and more goat entrails – so you get a nice BBQ when he’s finished…

My back problems manifest as either an inability to breathe and severe pain in my left chest or the collapse of my right knee… So back pain, in my experience, doesn’t have to hurt your back… Hope the doctor comes up with something a little more helpful…

mulv1976
    Free Member

Genius. Did he do a simple urinalysis to test for infection? What was his plan?

It could be spasm of the quadratus lumborum muscle but from the history you’ve given i would ask for blood, urine tests and a possible ultrasound scan for stones. Any history of cholesterol issues? Have you got sweats/temp/fever?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Helios – Member
    Try a voodoo witch doctor… As reliable as a chiropractor, as many hours education, as likely to suceed, and more goat entrails – so you get a nice BBQ when he’s finished…

Another idiot who knows nothing about chiropractor education but feels free to slag it off. Come and see me – you might learn something 🙄

Helios
    Free Member

You’re just a moron

Another idiot

Nice. Do you talk to your “patients” like that too?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Nice. Do you talk to your “patients” like that too?

No just people in forums who have no idea what they’re talking about 😀

Apologies, but it does rile me somewhat. And I haven’t been out on my bike today cos of the crappy weather!

Cougar

Another idiot who knows nothing about chiropractor education but feels free to slag it off. Come and see me – you might learn something

Conversely; another arrogant alternative ‘medicine’ practitioner who assumes that everyone else is ignorant.

Tell me, do you practice straight chiropractic or are you a mixer?

What complaints would you recommend chiropractic for?

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’m not arrogant at all, anything but. I just don’t like being denounced as a ‘witch doctor’ by people who clearly know very little about what modern chiropractors go through to qualify. A four year full-time masters degree, with 1 year mentored post graduate training before you are a full doctor of chiropractic. Very similar subject matters to medical doctors in the first three years plus a year treating patients in a training clinic. Anatomy, neurology, physiology, radiology, clinical diagnosis, psychology, functional management to name a few. Not just manipulation.

Fair enough there’s some dodgy chiropractors out there not doing any favours to our profession but that doesn’t make us all like that. You get good and bad health practitioners in all areas.

Fwiw I am a ‘mixer’ – I take a multidisciplinary approach and will refer when needed. I don’t claim to treat ‘subluxations’ or anything there isn’t evidence to support. I am trained in soft tissue techniques that most physios will use, including functional rehabilitation and I recommend chiropractic treatment for most musculoskeletal complaints.

DrP

I’m baffled as to why you would be wanting to buy a new build. I’ve not seen anything built in the last 10 years that was anything other than pokey, badly laid out, poorly constructed and on marginal land in the unknown end of town.

Actually sounds like renal colic (kidney stones) rather than an infection….

Drink plenty, if it continues I’d pop to the GP to ensure your kidney function remains sound (blood test)….they should follow local kidney stone guidance…..

DrP

DrP

Well, that was an old clip board item that pasted there……!!

DrP

yunki
    Free Member

made perfect sense to me..! 😀

gonna head down to the GP tomorrow and ask for some tests

glupton1976
    Free Member

See if chiropractors stopped calling themselves doctors, even if it is doctor of chiropractic, they would probably gain a lot more respect. They only use Dr as it is not protected in law – it should be.

Dr GLupton1976….

Cougar

mulv1976 – Member

I’m not arrogant at all, anything but. I just don’t like being denounced as a ‘witch doctor’ by people who clearly know very little about what modern chiropractors go through to qualify. A four year full-time masters degree, with 1 year mentored post graduate training before you are a full doctor of chiropractic. Very similar subject matters to medical doctors in the first three years plus a year treating patients in a training clinic. Anatomy, neurology, physiology, radiology, clinical diagnosis, psychology, functional management to name a few. Not just manipulation.

Fair enough there’s some dodgy chiropractors out there not doing any favours to our profession but that doesn’t make us all like that. You get good and bad health practitioners in all areas.

Fwiw I am a ‘mixer’ – I take a multidisciplinary approach and will refer when needed. I don’t claim to treat ‘subluxations’ or anything there isn’t evidence to support. I am trained in soft tissue techniques that most physios will use, including functional rehabilitation and I recommend chiropractic treatment for most musculoskeletal complaints.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve been out all afternoon.

Well, your opening gambit was to call someone a moron, and you followed up by making presumptions about the knowledge of another “idiot.” Hence, I felt you came across as arrogant.

I don’t doubt there’s a lot of training. Lots of things require training, homeopathy for one. A friend of mine has been training for a couple of years now to be a reiki practitioner.

If you don’t claim to treat ‘subluxations’ and ignore all that vitalistic nonsense (which I applaud, incidentally), surely what you’ve got left isn’t actually chiropractic? You’re basically offering, what, therapeutic massage and physiotherapy under the guise of chiropractic? Isn’t that a little misleading?

We’ve had this discussion on here before. One of your colleagues made the assertion that historical chiro is, and I quote, “about as relevant as pre-antibiotic era medical practice is to todays level of allopathic medicine.” I asked what defines a chiropractor in modern day as opposed to similar practices, and never got a reply. Perhaps you could clear this up?

If you don’t treat anything that isn’t backed up by evidence, ie anything where efficacy of chiropractic isn’t proven beyond placebo, then presumably you only treat lower back pain? What other “musculoskeletal complaints” are you treating?

I do wonder if “modern” chiropractic needs a new name which is more appropriate to what it is they do. If you want to distance yourself from woo-peddling bone crackers, it seems a bit self-defeating to be practising something different in their name.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Actually the doctor title should only be used if you have a doctorate i.e.. a phd

Medical ‘doctors’ shouldn’t use it either but its largely due to historical public perception/convention.
    I don’t use the title ‘dr’ btw in anything in case it misleads people. Others do but its personal choice. The BCA has advised against it for the reason I have stated.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Also – what is people’s fascination with “sports” physios? I work as a physio. I work in elite sport. I would never call myself a sports physio. I know the physios who work for the SRU, PFA and Institute of Sport – they do not call themselves sports physios either.

Riding a bike slowly to a cafe and back is not sport either….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mulv1976 well said about the Doctorate thing!!!
    Mind you I would put physiotherapists into the same bracket as chiropractors!! Or at least the one’s I have met! And I have checked out qualfications prior to visiting .. oh and GP’s! Now they are idiots … I have a lump Dr: “so what do you think it is?” mmmm why the f*** am I hear? Cancer, blood clot, bruise?? give me a clue..

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why would you put physiotherapists in the same bracket?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Maybe I didn’t explain I put them in the same bracket (for me) as “rip of merchants who don’t do anything”. Those are just the one I have experienced and I’ve seen 4 or 5 in my life. I appreciate there are good ones out there but it seems anyone half intelligent can get a qualification (like most uni courses) and set up a business with referrals. JMO (from experience) not trying to pi** people off.

cinnamon_girl

I for one have received better treatment from a chiro or physio compared to any of the numerous GPs I’ve dealt with.

Personal recommendation is best for chiro and physio.

glupton1976
    Free Member

For the course I did you needed 5As at Higher or 4As at A-level to get anywhere near an interview. I appreciate that the route to qualification in England is a year shorter, has lower entry requirements and produces less able graduate physios though.

DrP

oh and GP’s! Now they are idiots … I have a lump Dr: “so what do you think it is?” mmmm why the f*** am I hear? Cancer, blood clot, bruise?? give me a clue..

I’ll let you into a little secret of my profession:
    90% of the stuff I see day to day is absolute crap. Benign,pointless, no-meaning-whatsoever crap. I couldn’t give a damn if I never saw your lump again – nothing bad would happen. Never Ever.

But…if when you came in and said “what’s my lump” and I were to say “it’s nothing you moron*, pi$$ of and come back when you’ve got cancer” That wouldn’t go down very well, AND (here’s the money shot…) plenty of people worry deep down about stuff like cancer/tumours etc, and they don’t really care What the lump is as long as you can reassure them it’s not cancer (or any other worry they may have).

Hence the key to being a good GP is to have these ‘consulting skills’ in order to identify people’s worrys and concerns.
    Granted, some people do get annoyed by the ‘direct approach’ your GP adopted, but on balance they probably find it works to identify Why somebody may be coming to see them with what the text books would label as ‘absolute tripe’…….!

DrP

*im not labelling YOU as a moron here, btw!

IanMunro
    Free Member

But…if when you came in and said “what’s my lump” and I were to say “it’s nothing you moron*, pi$$ of and come back when you’ve got cancer” That wouldn’t go down very well, AND (here’s the money shot…) plenty of people worry deep down about stuff like cancer/tumours etc, and they don’t really care What the lump is as long as you can reassure them it’s not cancer

Yes, that what a friend’s GP did. She died of it 6 months later.

DrP

Not nice news.
    Of course the above only applies if you’re in a position to rule out cancer as a cause of said lump….

DrP

mulv1976
    Free Member

Mind you I would put physiotherapists into the same bracket as chiropractors!! Or at least the one’s I have met! And I have checked out qualfications prior to visiting .. oh and GP’s! Now they are idiots … I have a lump Dr: “so what do you think it is?” mmmm why the f*** am I hear? Cancer, blood clot, bruise?? give me a clue..

To be fair, there are shocking GPs, chiropractors, physios, nurses etc all over the place. There are also some bloody good ones too.

Well, your opening gambit was to call someone a moron, and you followed up by making presumptions about the knowledge of another “idiot.” Hence, I felt you came across as arrogant.

I know. I did apologise for that 😳
    My kids got me up at 6.30 today and no ride due to the weather = grumpy.

I just get fed up with the Chiro bashers though who don’t realise how much training we have to do. I already had a Maths degree (no-one can call that easy) when I trained as a chiropractor and I found the chiropractic masters far more difficult due to the long hours and sheer volume of work. No disrespect but I’m pretty sure reiki doesn’t involve four full-time undergraduate years of study.

Tbh I don’t really want to get into a big debate about chiropractic on here – I’ve done it all before and I got an earful for spending too much time on my phone. Have a read of this: http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2012/11/the-royal-college-of-vestigial-victorian-fairground-mystic-bone-setters.html

If you read all the discussion (there’s a fair amount) there’s plenty of argument, but also some good cited evidence for some of the conditions we treat as well as some comments from a guy I graduated with (and myself).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ok I did say I appreciate I am generalising but unfortunately that is what humans do when they have bad experiences. The amount of peopls on here who think coppers earn too much and are corrupt aare down to negative experiences.

DrP I agree to point but maybe 4/5 GP’s in my surgery need bedside manner practice. I completely appreciate you see lots of morons with ridiculous ailments but a GP will see from my records on their computer I barely go to the Dr so should possibly deal accordingly. I dont actually know why I am bothering writing rhis as I appreciate their are good and bad eggs in every walk of life unfortunately when it comes to GP’s, chiros and physios I have had bad experiences.

DrP

I completely agree that more doctors/medical staff need to up their interpersonal skills – its (in my opinion) more of a ‘modern’ thing in the shift from ‘doctor cented’ consultations, to more ‘patient centered’… However,when trying to come across patient centred it can sound a bit “tell me want you want, and I’ll give it to you”, which an also be damaging to health…..

Anyway – how is the lump?!

DrP

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I have used chiropractors, does the job for my back problem when it occurs– but like all things, some are much better than others– if you find a good one, you know it …

lister11
    Free Member

unfortunately when it comes to GP’s, chiros and physios I have had bad experiences

If you are having this many bad experiences of a variety of health workers is it not possible that the common link is at fault in some way?

Your expectations perhaps?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks for asking Drp still there and still sore!
    Lol at Lista that would be my stock response but no as moved on, and got treatment elsewhere which cured relevant affliction.

Cougar

I don’t really want to get into a big debate about chiropractic on here

Understandable.

there’s plenty of argument, but also some good cited evidence for some of the conditions we treat

Would you care to cite some in particular?

Greybeard
    Free Member

My knowledge of chiropractic is from reading the leaflets at my mother’s chiropractor while I was waiting for her treatment session to finish. The emphasis was all about “energy flow” and such mysticism – it put me right off it. But from what you say, mulv1976, there’s some medical science behind it? In that case I might reconsider.

yunki, a mate of mine had something similar – I would say a kidney problem is strong possibility. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Cougar

Well quite.

Traditional chiropractic is based on nonsense, its original creator was toying with starting a religion based on his theories.

Modern chiropractic, I’m frequently told, has no bearing on its roots. Which begs the question, “well, what is it then?” and I’m still waiting for a sensible answer to that. If there’s “medical science” behind it, I’m sincerely all ears. Far as I can tell (based on what actual chiropractors have said on here) it’s a combination of physiotherapy, massage, and telling people everything’s going to be ok.

zilog6128

The emphasis was all about “energy flow” and such mysticism – it put me right off it.

Just my 2p. I thought all that stuff was bollox too until I started doing tai chi and realised that it’s really just a metaphor. What you’re really trying to do is work on alignment, posture, balance, breathing, relaxation, etc. Seemed to me it was valid science that was figured out by people who had no idea about science, hence dressing it up with all the mystical crap (it does feel “magical” when it starts to work).

Cougar

Aka, the placebo effect.

Tai chi is a different animal. I don’t really want to derail the conversation (further) here, but woo aside there’s a clear benefit to exercising.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘doctors, sports physio's, chiropractors, experienced knowledgable types’ is closed to new replies.