Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do I need UST tyres for ghetto tubeless?
  • mtb_matt
    Free Member

I'm going down the ghetto tubeless route because I want to be able to run low pressures and I'm not ready to fork out for a new wheel set yet.

I bought a wire beaded Maxxis High Roller for this purpose, but am now wondering should I have bought a UST version. I'm not intending to use rim strips instead I'll be using the packing tape method. Will this do?

Cheers

Matt

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

UST tyres will make it easier, since their bead is tighter and better formed for making an air tight seal. This may reduce air burping, although a steel bead is stiff enough to help with this anyway. a UST tyre will also help to make inflation easier, but they're not that light.

pinches
    Free Member

should be fine as long as you run sealant. the steel tyre should be easier/better than a kevlar one.

firestarter
    Free Member

no ive standard maxxis on my ghetto set up and it went straight up and stays up

mtb_matt
    Free Member

What kind of pressures do you run at? I normally run about 35psi on my tubed setup, but ideally I'd like to run at around 25psi. Is that going to make it liable to burp or come off completely?

Matt

devs
    Free Member

No! I use normal single ply wire bead Maxxis and I've never had a single problem with my ghetto set ups.

mboy
    Free Member

The Maxxis High Roller you've bought should be fine, Maxxis are pretty reliable tyres to use when converting to tubeless. I've run one before in a setup with some sealant, and it worked just fine.

Pressure wise, don't get too carried away trying to run mega low pressures straight away. Dropping 10psi in an instant could lead to lots of dinged rims potentially! Best to start at the same pressure you used before IMO, then once you've ascertained that you could go lower, maybe try 2-3psi less, then if you feel you could go lower still, try another 2-3psi less. Don't just jump straight in with a 10psi drop, you will likely knacker your rims!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do I need UST tyres for ghetto tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.