Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Do I have a drink problem?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

My wife thinks I’ve got a drink problem, I don’t think I do but I can see how it could get worse so I see where she’s coming from.

Basically I have 1 alcoholic drink about 4 times a week. Very occasionally, and I mean occasionally, I have 2 drinks in one night. I will have a beer, or a port/whiskey/amaretto of an evening at home when I’m watching tele or messing with the bikes. I go to the pub with mates about once a month and will have 4 or 5 pints.

Like I said, I will do this about 4 times a week, not every night. Is this a drinking problem?

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 I think you’ve got a wife problem.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Sounds more like you have a wife problem tbh lol

edit: dammit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Coyote
    Free Member

Seriously? That’s very moderate drinking in my opinion.

I’d be more inclined to ask your wife what she thinks safe drinking levels are. Maybe she has encounered alcohol abuse in a negative way?

johndoh
    Free Member

She is just being very silly if you ask me. Ask her why she is concerned.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have 3 or 4 tins of beer most nights if that helps. Possibly more on a weekend.

Schweiz
    Free Member

This is not a typical pattern for problem drinking.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

@JohnDoh -snap, my mrs thinks I have a drink problem though :/

ads678

Stella is the answer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Don’t do it for a week, if you’re climbing the walls on day 3, you’ve got a problem, not a big one, but one worth keeping an eye on.

If it’s no bother, then no.

It seems like you’re having 8 units a week, below the NHS recommended 14 max.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/alcohol-units.aspx

binners

I think you’ve got a wife problem.

Beaten to it!

Dear god!I have only one word of advice…

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!

She’d have bloody heart failure if she saw how much I put away in an average week 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Are these pints of amaretto? If not you’re clearly soft.

Coyote
    Free Member

This thread is making me thirsty…

jimdubleyou

How many units in your 1 drink?

2 = sounds fairly normal.
    4 = bordering problem
    8 = see a doctor.

+ I need a pint now 😉

swavis

Yes, your wife is the problem.

cranberry
    Free Member

Definitely a wife problem.

The only “drink problem” you have is that you were sober enough to have paid attention.

lunge

Am I right in interpreting that as 1 beer, 4 times per week? And sometimes that beer is replaced with a Port or such like?

Or are you having 1 alcoholic drink, 4 times per week. But are also having a Port every evening in front of the TV?

If the former, I’d say it’s a wife problem, if the latter I’d say that some would say she has a point.

fasthaggis

OP my wife drinks more than you .
    Do I have a Wife problem?

rickmeister

Are you spilling any?
    No ?

Carry on..

martymac

I don’t think you have a problem.
    I don’t think you drink a lot.
    However my wife would be constantly on edge if I drank the same amount, because her dad is a raging alcoholic.
    (He’s also an arsehole, whether drunk or not)
    Perhaps there’s a reason it makes your wife uneasy?

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

You are to alcoholism what homeopathy is to medicine. Sort yourself out and have a proper drink!

GrahamS

Has anyone reported you to Social Services…

RustySpanner

Our house plants drink more than that.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Not drinking enough imo.
    Double your efforts!

Kryton57

I’d be more inclined to ask your wife what she thinks safe drinking levels are. Maybe she has encounered alcohol abuse in a negative way?

This and…

Don’t do it for a week, if you’re climbing the walls on day 3, you’ve got a problem, not a big one, but one worth keeping an eye on.

I have exactly the same drinking habit as you, with my 4-5 pints being a once a month meetup with friends. But I regularly abstain for a week, once a year a month sometimes longer to test the theory.

Re the first para Mrs K had a drink abusive father. She gets concerned but I told her that until I behave like him on the booze which I never have, their isnt an issue.

deadkenny
    Free Member

swoosh – Member 
    Like I said, I will do this about 4 times a week, not every night. Is this a drinking problem?

Yeah, sounds like you’re not drinking enough. Way below the recommended allowance.

Cougar

One thing to watch out for: are you drinking because you fancy a drink, or because the calendar says you should?

A while back I got into the habit of having a drink whilst cooking tea. Over time I caught myself one evening thinking, “I’ve just poured this, I don’t actually want it.” If you’re drinking habitually for no real reason that’s the time to start doing something about it before it gets out of hand.

However my wife would be constantly on edge if I drank the same amount, because her dad is a raging alcoholic.

I wondered the same.

johndoh
    Free Member

Over time I caught myself one evening thinking, “I’ve just poured this, I don’t actually want it.”

I don’t quite do that, but I do sometimes get halfway through one and think ‘I don’t want this’ and bin it.

I usually drink whilst cooking then, once I have eaten I don’t want any more. I usually eat at around 11pm 😉

convert

A while back I got into the habit of having a drink whilst cooking tea. Over time I caught myself one evening thinking, “I’ve just poured this, I don’t actually want it.” If you’re drinking habitually for no real reason that’s the time to start doing something about it before it gets out of hand.

Not sure about that. Drinking because it’s 6.45pm but don’t want it is easily stopped. I got worried when although I don’t drink massive amounts I really ‘wanted’ drink at 6.45. Wanted was not so far from needed. Needed is a slippery slope.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I find it difficult to disassociate wine/beer with food. Easy to get into the habit of having “a drink” that accompanies a particular meal and more so as I make the meals from scratch so it becomes a reward. “a drink” easily becomes a few, especially with wine.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Depends on the person – the difference between Tony Blair and John Reid shows that the same amount means different things to different people (see the bottom of this article):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-says-he-used-alcohol-as-a-prop-2067328.html

I don’t (usually) drink after 9pm but probably have a beer or a couple of glasses of wine about 5 times a week.

plyphon
    Free Member

Just become a wine snob, talk about how you’re pairing your wine with your meal to enhance/compliment/harmonise the flavours and how “her palette isn’t refined enough” to catch the “notes of oak and beech” and suddenly you’re cultured and revered and wearing turtle necks .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Absolutely not.

This is on the basis that one drink doesn’t mean a bottle of spirits 😉

As above and sorry to be harsh but your wife is being unreasonable / worse words

ThePinkster

I usually eat at around 11pm

Kebab?

miketually
    Free Member

The guidelines given by the NHS relate to the statistical likelihood of getting some diseases associated with alcohol consumption, not whether you’re an alcoholic. They’re also relatively arbitrary.

bikebouy
    Free Member

She’s right to be concerned, any partner would be IMO.

However, I personally don’t think you drink anywhere near enough for “it” to be a problem. So I suspect your wife’s concerns are based in either family or historic issues.

steve-g
    Free Member

Reading the OP was the STW drinking equivalent of having a size zero model ask me if I think she’s too fat.

taxi25
    Free Member

Your a very moderate drinker, I thought you were going to say 4-6 pints a night 4 or 5 times a week, with a large brandy/single malt night cap most nights. Not because I need to but because I bloody well enjoy it 😀
    But enough of my drinking habits, have a proper chat with the Mrs, try and get to the bottom of her concerns, they aren’t reasonable IMHO.

smell_it
    Free Member

I wish my drinking habits were as cheap as your’s op, unless the alcohol you drink is causing issues with your behaviour or the like, you need to put your back into it and actually get on the ale!!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

whether you do or no i won’t get into, but i will comment that by asking you will get a million answers.

that said if you want to try without dry january (look for it on facebook) is coming up and i found that an excellent very easy way to give it a break… though as of 31/12 i’m up to 2 years not drinking not just 1 month.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Do I have a drink problem?’ is closed to new replies.