Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • digi cam Q: M4/3 zoom lenses
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I got a GF2 w/14mm lens which I want to flog for a 14-42/45 zoom.

It seems both Olympus and Panasonic make 2, the former a tiny wee one which would help portability. OK, I’d lose IS, is that a big deal and are there any other considerations?

molgrips
    Free Member

For me, IS is a big plus – it really reduces how much you need the flash, and that is a big plus imo.

However, I THINK there are interoperability considerations. It may be the case that with a Panny camera and a Panny lens it can automatically correct barrel distortion, which is a good thing.

If you can avoid it don’t flog the 14mm though, you will find it harder still to take pictures without a flash without it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK Ta, will look into this a bit more.

I’d heard the 14mm had no IS tho, negating the extra speed?

bazwaldo
    Free Member

Panasonic have a new 14-42 coming out this month which shrinks to the size of its 20mm lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082615panasonic14-42Xpreview.asp

maybe what you’re after?

grum
    Free Member

IS is very handy IMO. If you have the cash and can handle the zoom control I’d probably go for the new Panasonic 14-42x.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well.. the Panasonic 14mm is f2.5 which isn’t all that great – perhaps a stop more than the zoom. IS will give you 2-3 stops more light capability BUT that is only in terms of camera shake. You may be able to take photos at 1/8 with IS but your subjects aren’t stabilised, so they will still blur if they move 🙂

However if you had a f1.4 lens then that would result in an actual shorter exposure which would help stabilise your subject.

Bez

I have the original Panasonic 14-45 and it is an excellent lens – I’m sure the software correction will be doing some of the work but the output is spot on. Excellent sharpness. From reading t’internet the newer 14-42 seems to be regarded as a step down, but not a large one.

OIS doesn’t bother me much on shorter focal lengths. It’s vital on longer ones since you can’t hold the camera to your face to steady it, but the times it’s useful on shorter lenses tend to be marginal to non-existent.

That said, I don’t use my 14-45 much because I like primes – I’m half tempted to suggest swapping/PXing it for your 14…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d keep the 14mm. It’s compact and you’ll find it’ll focus better in low light. As for the zoom I’d get a panasonic. No point having an unstabilised lens when you can have a stabilised one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all – useful info re IS… and Molly, the cam has a flash.

Sounds like IS will be worth it then so I need the Panasonic zoom. Bez…feel free to get in touch, I an currently scouring ebay and about to put my unused 14mm on there.

IA

I’ve also got a panny 14-45 and would consider swapping for the 14.

Al – are you in Edinburgh? I seem to think you are for some reason. I’m too, so if you wanted to do a swap, could be dead easy…

(or even want to just try out my 14-45).

Feel a bit like I’m pissing on Bez’s chips here, but you say you’re “half tempted” so maybe not? I’m also dithering… but I’ll have a think if it’s of interest.

Bez

Al, drop me a line on bez AT konaretro DOT com if you want.

I’m mainly hesitant because I also have a Ricoh GR, which is 28mm and very good it is too – the 14 may be a bit pointless alongside that.

IA, feel free to pollute my chips, it’ll save me the bother of having to make a decision that would probably end up as “nah” anyway 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gents: I think I am now after a 14-45, it’s slightly shorter than the 14-42 and better.

AFAICS a straight swap seems fair, I don’t mind who I swap with, and yes I am in Edinburgh, making “chip-polluter” IA easier to deal with than Bez…my email oneofmanyals at hotmail dot com.

IA

OK, I’ll have a think about if I want to do the swap for sure and get back to you… I’m out of town straight after work tomorrow over the weekend tho, so might have to be next week if I decide I want to swap. I work out at HWU which is probably inconvienent I’m guessing…

Need to have a think, cos if I get rid of my zoom, i need to replace it with something else at the longer end, need to consider my options.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No worries – I am east of town but come up into town now and then. I may take a punt on some on ebay in the interim…

Conqueror
    Free Member

The 14-45 is supposed to be optically better than the 14-42

I’ve got the 14-45 and it does seem good

However this is a good price on the 14-42.. 79 squid

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/4570/Panasonic-Lumix-G-Vario-14-42mm-F3-5-5-6-MEGA-OIS-Lens—UNBOXED.html

molgrips
    Free Member

and Molly, the cam has a flash

Yeah but flash pics are not nice compared to non-flash ones, especially if you are using a flash that can’t tilt or swivel. So a wide aperture is a good thing to have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye I’d seen that Conqueror, ta.

Mol – the flash does tilt 😎

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘digi cam Q: M4/3 zoom lenses’ is closed to new replies.