I moved out of a purpose built flat 2 months ago, which I stayed at for 2.5 years, and have been chasing the landlord ever since to respond to my Deposit Protection Scheme claim for the deposit back. I did not have any contact with the landlord as he does not reply to emails/ phone calls/ letters until today when I received an email from the landlord claiming the move in for the new tenant has been as "nightmare" and there are several issues he will deduct for from the deposit.
The landlord claims:
1) I, the tenant, switched off the boiler causing the boiler to shutdown from which it would not restart leaving the flat without warm water for 5 days. Apparently this required a new immersion heater, pump and electrical board at a cost of £300
2) 1 out of 3 storage heaters did not work so had to be replaced at a cost of £100
3) The new tenants felt the flat was "dusty" and the fridge was dirty. There were also apparently dirty marks across the sofas requiring cleaning. The total for this is £180.
4) Living room blinds have a red mark on and curtains were dirty at the bottom. £50 for the blinds and £50 for the curtains.
5) As a gesture of good will he only wants £180 (cleaning) + £50 (new blinds) + £50 (new curtains)