Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Deliveroo , Uber Rush, Streat Stream and other cycling jobs
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

What do you think?

For anyone out there who may need some extra money or motivation to cyle or a way to burn off that christmas meal you had in 1996.

Deliveroo Cycling job locations

You are self employed so sort your own tax out and the rate is per hour so you are going to get money, no matter what. England is not known for being big tippers though.

Looking on the web i see that clothing/rack (if wanted), bag, helmet (depends) are provided. I have seen a cyclist up my end with a box bag on his back (he didn’t look happy but it was raining)

Other Cycling Jobs

street stream

Self employed couriers. Cycle,bike, car etc

Kerbi

Mobile cycle flat fixer self employed

Uber Rush

Do you have the need for speed? Become a uber self employed cycle courier

So what do you chaps think (because your opinons mean so much to me :roll:)

😉

footflaps

Deliveroo, serving up low paid insecure jobs to the masses…

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/17/deliveroo-gig-economy-human-cost

mrsfry
    Free Member

I guess you missed the comments that point out a few facts 😉

You get paid the wage advertised on the site. No one is forced to work at that pay.

Read the comments on the link you posted and see how dodgey the link you posted is

Redit reply

poly
    Free Member

England is not known for being big tippers though.

It will be worse than that! With deliveroo the normal (only?) mode of payment is in advance (with c/card etc) therefore when the package arrives there is no transaction to complete where 28.50 just gets rounded up etc. I would expect no tip at all.

footflaps

You get paid the wage advertised on the site. No one is forced to work at that pay.

Which is still low waged insecure work.

If you think it’s the Bee’s knees, by all means work for them.

chewkw
    Free Member

How much do they charge for other delivery for a small business? Say within 5 miles radius? Item is perhaps a box of chocolate? Do they do that?

Northwind

It’s insecure work, sure, but that also makes it good for people who don’t want regular fixed hours etc. Casual work isn’t all bad, I know a few of my students work for deliveroo and are very happy to pick up a few hours here and there for pocket money without much commitment for either side.

footflaps

Casual work isn’t all bad, I know a few of my students work for deliveroo and are very happy to pick up a few hours here and there for pocket money without much commitment for either side.

Which is all good and well, except that most of the new companies getting all the PR and funding only create these types of jobs e.g. Uber etc. It’s great if your the founder / VC funding Uber / Deliveroo etc, but we’re slowly migrating from a society of secure middle class careers with pensions, sick pay, progression etc to one of low paid, insecure jobs with no sick pay, no pensions and no progression, which is pretty depressing if you think about it. One great big race to the bottom.

Northwind

I don’t disagree but some jobs just naturally suit this business model. Deliveroo probably isn’t turning many permanent jobs into casual ones. I guess you’d need some analysis of how much they’re taking away from traditional take away delivery or for that matter from restaurant sitting in, but it’s not necessarily a direct competitor.

There’s a lot of places where work that really should be contracted and fixed hours is being turned into zero hours/casual, and that’s a different matter but I’m not convinced deliveroo is one of these.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted by Deliveroo because I’m a student, I like cycling and the flexible hours really appeal. I haven’t done it yet because a) as above, credit card = no tips and b) I’m a lazy student, obvs

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just didn’t like the look of that massive box the deliveroo guy I saw the other day had on his back.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Does look un comfy. Seen a few up my end on bikes. Seen ads on Gumtree and student boards. Think the main market is people looking to make some spending money. The area a person works in is around 2.2km so not bad for bike. They also offer bike racks as well, but that box is a donkey of a size. I may take this up for extra money. I thought if anyone out there needs to get some cash quick to get them buy, this may help

Another bonus is that you are not responsible for payments as that is all done via app. £2.50 charge if the orders are £15 or more if under there is a extra £2.00 charge. The only money a person would deal with is any tips (if that ever happend) a person can also tip via card when ordering.

No i don’t work for them i was just checking them out to see how they run

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aaahhhh.. I can still hear the syren call of my Motorola… “116 where the **** are you”

Probably sitting in a doorway thumbing through the A2Z while smoking my 12th singleskin of the day 😀

I often made about £20 but got well fit for my impending cycle tour 😀

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^

You haven’t changed much

😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Deliveroo probably isn’t turning many permanent jobs into casual ones.

Yeah but it is intensifying the degree of casualisation. You might have been going from week to week in the past for scheduling – now you’re going from task to task where the carpet can be whipped away at any time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Deliveroo , Uber Rush, Streat Stream and other cycling jobs’ is closed to new replies.