Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dartmoor Full Moon Sub-Zero Night Ride – Bad Pictures
  • slugwash
    Free Member

Three intrepid South Devon bikers set off for a moonlit high moors trundle tonight. We followed the old tramway up from Bittaford to Redlake, eight miles up hill, then eight back down. There was no need for lights for most of the journey thanks to the clear skys. We saw a couple of shooting stars, one was probably a giant meteor or something ‘cos it lit up the sky :0) It was minus 10 degrees at least up (well probably) on the highest bits and my Camelback hose froze solid. You can’t capture the feeling of standing on a torr in the middle of the moor and seeing the frosty moonlit vista spreading out all around you, but these dodgy pictures possibly might help a little bit.

STWer pagan Shinythings hails the moon

Tesco torch & helmet showing hoare-frost accumulated on 8 mile descent

nickc

You were right about the pictures

Taff
    Free Member

looking at the picture of the helmet just puts me off riding tomorrow

Christowkid
    Free Member

Wow – that must have been seriously epic – what an experience.
    Bows head in respect!
    My rss feed for Bovey Tracey ( nearest town to me ) is still giving -4C at 9.40am today.
    That must have been stunningly cold. Thank god you didn’t have an ‘off’ it could have been…..well you know!
    ( huddles round radiator )
    Q

Shinythings
    Free Member

Brilliant ride that, Cheers. My boots were still frozen when I got home.
    Particularly enjoyed the inbound Alien Spaceship looking for Wind turbines!?
    And how cool were those stone skimming ice noises?
    Could not have asked for better light and conditions. What a month this has been, eh?

jam-bo

it got to about -7 up at powdermills last night..

dartcom weather station

scraprider
    Free Member

outstanding , hope your helmet thaws out ok, oh and well done

slugwash
    Free Member

hope your helmet thaws out ok, oh and well done

The helmet in the photo’s thawed out okay. The other one took an hour or two in a long, hot, bath ;0)

Thank god you didn’t have an ‘off’ it could have been…..well you know!

I think that we all skidded off on frozen puddles on the trail at various times. I’ve decide that when that happens just curl up in a ball otherwise your limbs and the bike all go in different directions and you risk tearing the inside muscles on your thighs.

BTW silk glove liners are the business. I highly reccomend them. Also, next time it’s that cold I’m going to take neoprene overshoes for the descent back down ‘cos my feet were freezing.

Brilliant ride and I’m still basking in the endomorphin afterglow fourteen hours after it finished!

Shinythings
    Free Member

My knee hurts from doing that comedy cartoon run on the spot when we hit that long ice stretch. Northwaves’ are lethal on ice!

If we get similar conditions next month we should get back up there and maybe come back across Avon Dam?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor Full Moon Sub-Zero Night Ride – Bad Pictures’ is closed to new replies.