Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • Dance music genre help
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

:SIGH:

doves

😛

i've still got a custom screen printed t-shirt with a dove on it in (naturally) UV paint

it no longer fits

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I used to have a t-shirt that had 'Mitsubishi Powered' on it and my mum said when she saw it "you don't even drive a Mitsubishi", bless.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that's it, we've become our own ultimate anti-heroes, talking about how the drugs/music/clubs were better back in the day. I'm going to watch Human Traffic tonight and laugh at people like what i used to be mocking people like what i have become.

and maybe Clubbed to Death as well.

mboy
    Free Member

this time was different, the bass lines weren't speedcore or harcore and it wasn't fast enough for gabber. There weren't the breakdowns or melody of Goa/psy-trance and it wasn't funky enough for Techno. Basically (at 5am as i lay awake wondering what the best way of killing crusties was) it was just a real tone generated kick, never off the 1/4 beat, no 'hoovers' but plenty of fairly evil sounding mid range tone and it was about 130 bpm. There may also have been a few distorted evil spoken bits over the top.

If you're guess of 130bpm is right, sounds like a bit of Deadmau5 (or similar) to me… He's a Canadian Producer that's been so genre defying, people refer to his style as "Deadmau5 House" (Say DeadMouse)…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKPQQMSC7s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV3m8joK1Cw

Check him out… If you like his stuff, then check out a guy called Wolfgang Gartner too…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOcUdL2Dj4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk75SSdiqc0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3DchfavrME

Having said that, I could be completely wrong! The favourite 130ish BPM music without breakdowns, much melody and not much happening was/is always Prog House… And from what I'm told, sadly it's still got a bit of a strong following! Always used to bore the arse off me, still all the Coke and Ket heads I knew loved it… Made them think they were too cool for everyone else…

BoardinBob

He's a Canadian Producer that's been so genre defying, people refer to his style as "Deadmau5 House" (Say DeadMouse)…

I've got my own name for his "genre" but I don't think it'll get past the swear filter on here

DrDolittle
    Free Member

that's been so genre defying,

So, Jackson and his computer band and Justice have slipped under your radar?

BoardinBob

And every other neon clad, Skins watching, throbber that churns out god awful "electro house"

DezB
    Free Member

Both of them pre-date Skins, so not sure what you're on about there 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

mmw – I watched Human Traffic again the other night. 🙁

I recommend the episode of Spaced 'Epiphanies'. Its like they were watching me on a night out.

mboy – Prog house, aghh. Seb Fontaine got his nickname 'Dead Mundane' due to his love of prog house.

mboy
    Free Member

Nope, been listening to Justice for ages now… Excellent Producers!

It's all Electro House, but Deadmau5 has, according to many people, defined his own genre… Not 100% sure I agree with that myself, but I do think he's a sh*t hot producer!

And FWIW, dunno what I'd describe Jackson and his Computer Band as, but it's not Electro House! Let's only talk about the subject if it's something we actually know about eh guys!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I have a very rare Justice promo t-shirt from 04…rivers of babylon or something. Never worn. size large (hipsterlarge). £100 and it's yours.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that 15% of Jackson's album was quite good. Better than Akufen anyway.

BoardinBob

Let's only talk about the subject if it's something we actually know about eh guys!

I wouldn't have mentioned Jackson in the same discussion as Deadmau5.

And I'm more than happy continuing to now nothing about electro house! Nothing f*cks me off more than someone telling me their into "electro" then listing Justice etc as acts they like

THAT'S NOT F*CKING ELECTRO YOU IDIOTS

This is electro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMbK631xevU

sootyandjim
    Free Member

We'll have no electro house here, you hear? Thats what the cool kids are listening to these days and what do kids know about music eh?

{Waves walking stick at electro house}

Baaaaaa

BoardinBob

electro house = music for 16 year old girls and boys that wish they were girls

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I'm quite fond of some Edbanger stuff, I must say, but a whole night's worth …I don't know. I blame the nights of shameful decadence at Trash. And Jackson and his etc…well, I liked more than 15% of the album if i'm to be honest, but what a disappointment at Fabric a few years ago. Terrible.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

mmw – Here is that episode of Spaced.

mboy
    Free Member

mboy – Prog house, aghh. Seb Fontaine got his nickname 'Dead Mundane' due to his love of prog house.

hahaha

To be fair to him, I saw Fontaine a couple of times years ago, must've been either before or after his Prog stage, cos both times I had an excellent night! The boring tripe I'm on about is John Digweed (post Sasha), James Holden, Lee Burridge, Steve Lawler and the likes…

BoardinBob, why such distaste at Electro House? And curiously, what music are you into?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no idea what electro house is but i do like what i think is electro.

say

Miss Kittin

Fisherspooner

etc

sorry if this offends

mboy
    Free Member

electro house = music for 16 year old girls and boys that wish they were girls

LOL

I best go see my gender realignment surgeon and tell him what a sh*t job he did as not only do I still have a penis, but I still look like I'm in my late 20's too! 😉

And I'm more than happy continuing to now nothing about electro house! Nothing f*cks me off more than someone telling me their into "electro" then listing Justice etc as acts they like

Agreed… In a fashion… That is Electro, or at least what Electro was when it came out. Or a form of it, quite different again to the kind of Electro that Dave Clarke et al peddled when he wasn't playing killer Techno.

It does annoy me too when someone says "I'm into Electro" when they quite clearly mean electro house, as it shows a blatant lack of understanding and some bandwagonning, but I guess it offends me a lot less than it offends you! Making sweeping statements about someone else's musical tastes when it's something you know nothing about seems to work though… But I'm taking this one on the chin! hehe

DrDolittle, cheers, whilst I appreciate Justice's music, I am in no rush to wear a T Shirt pronouncing my affection towards them, even if it were £5 not £100!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Lets not forget that Felix da housecat classic!

This is a great record, regardless of genre that encapsulates a time…for me. And I met him a few times, he's very generous.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

DrDolittle, cheers, whilst I appreciate Justice's music, I am in no rush to wear a T Shirt pronouncing my affection towards them, even if it were £5 not £100!

Ok…how does a tenner sound?

mboy
    Free Member

ahhhhhh

mrmw, you just reminded me of one of my ALL TIME fave tunes…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S_94D-mCUc

Remember going nuts to the original of this when I first heard it, many months before its official release, and then I heard this… The Dave Clarke Remix! MENTAL! 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Felix da housecat is brilliant

we once went to a wedding in Chicago and found out that he was playing the night we got there. sadly we were so knackered after the rehearsal dinner that we didn't go. I really wish we had, seeing him and then having a wedding reception on the top floor of the sears tower all in one day would have been a pretty cool weekend i think you'll agree!

BoardinBob

BoardinBob, why such distaste at Electro House? And curiously, what music are you into?

I'm a Detroit purist at heart 😆

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mboy – i hear you, that track is truly amazing, the dave clark remix and it's use on his world service mix is great, i think we first heard it when he played some night at the custard factory

mboy
    Free Member

Dr Dolittle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EF9oOSJGhM&feature=related

ANOTHER AWESOME TUNE!!! Thanks for reminding me of Felix Da Housecat…

And no ta, seriously, I'm ok without the T shirt…

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Seriously, it's yours for a fiver mate, doesn't fit me…

mboy
    Free Member

I'm a Detroit purist at heart

Eeeeesh!

There's nothing like a purist to drain the fun out of anything! 😉

Seriously though, for every MTBer that rides a rigid singlespeed and bores the arse off everyone going on about "keeping it real" and "you don't need suspension and gears to have fun" etc… SO WHAT!

It's all House Music (of a fashion), and I love it!

mrmw, dropped this tune at a night I'd organised back in 2001, about 1am, 800 people in the venue and an electric atmosphere! NEVER EVER experienced anything quite like the reaction to it before or since… It was incredible! Again, the original was awesome, but Dave Clarke on the remix again… Just unreal!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Hey, cheers mboy. I worked at Rough Trade 99-03 when all that stuff was in play. So many gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood times! 😆

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

when i worked at the cheese rolling world cup finals in Berlin, we went to a festival at kunsthaus taschels on Oranienburgerstrasse (basically a 5 floor squat with a beach outside and loads of cool arty stuff) after watching the final on the fan mile.

Ended up in the techno stage and chatting to the DJ, DJane Miss Roxy. Had a massive chat about techno and electro and ended up choosing loads of records with this australian bloke and his dutch misses including loads of dave clark and fisherspooner. Danced until well after the sun came up on uber cheap vodka and redbull. One of the best nights i've ever had out, for so many reasons. brings a tear to my eye thinking about it now, dancing till the sun came up with bare feet on sand 8)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mboy i think it's time for me to put on the Remixes & Rarities Dave Clark album and upset the neighbours 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Hey, cheers mboy. I worked at Rough Trade 99-03 when all that stuff was in play. So many gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood times!

Dunno if you've already got it, but get this CD…

http://www.discogs.com/release/59055

It will be very hard to find now I should think, unless Ebay is your friend! I'll have a look for my copy, and run a copy or 2 off if I find it…

Anyway, totally blew my world apart when I bought that in Y2k! Prior to that, as a 20 year old kid I'd really only listened to more commercial stuff and quite a lot of Trance… That CD alone pretty much opened my eyes, and there was no way back from there!

Saw Justin Robertson a couple of times, once at Cream in Amnesia in Ibiza, and once at Golden in Stoke, and sadly neither time he came anywhere near creating the atmosphere he did on the Bugged Out mix CD! I've even got the album on unmixed vinyl somewhere!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ebay will have it i'm sure. i still buy the odd mixmag cover cd on ebay and they really are quite rare

DrDolittle
    Free Member

If you find that mix mboy stick it up somewhere I can download it from…so much stuff I didn't buy at the time…the wages of sin for working at a record shop. So many good times, courtesy of guestlists and freebies, but **** all cash! 🙄 saying all that though, I had a **** great time and don't regret it at all 😆

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it's available as a torrent

downloading torrents is illegal though 🙂

adt
    Free Member

The DH track didnt happen to be Innerleithen did it? we was there for Nationals in July and they where at it then with the music ,did plenty myself though back in late 80s early 90s anybody remember the Blackburn raves ? or the Revenge parties around the Wigan area

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no it was Blandford Froum, UKBP

mboy
    Free Member

so much stuff I didn't buy at the time…the wages of sin for working at a record shop.

Where did you used to work? I used to spend half my life in record shops back between about 1999 and 2004. Now I've just got a BIG pile of vinyl I never play any more (though some quality tunes in there), cos when I DJ these days I just use CDs. Reckon I've spent more than £10k on vinyl alone (how I could do with that money now!) over the years, and I'd struggle to give it away these days… Sad eh!

If I find it, it'd be easier just to copy it and pop in the post than upload it to be honest… So if I do, i'll give you a shout…

disco_stu
    Free Member

RIP James Stinson!

BoardinBob have you checked out Gerald Donalds new project – sort of like the Human League meets Drexciya, theres a few videos up on Youtube

franki
    Free Member

I recommend the episode of Spaced 'Epiphanies'. Its like they were watching me on a night out.

Ditto! 🙂
    I still get goosebumps watching that episode!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Dance music genre help’ is closed to new replies.