• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by sv.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cyclocross disc frames (frame and maybe fork only – not complete bikes)?
  • clubber
    Free Member

Have I missed any CX frames that meet these requirements:

– disc compatible (ideally disc only)
    – aluminium or carbon frame
    – Not ‘overly’ heavy
    – carbon fork
    – Ideally £400ish or less (inc fork)
    – 57.5cm ish top tube (so usually 58 or 60cm frame size)

The ones I know of are

– PX Uncle John (concerned that it’s maybe a bit heavy)
    – Merida CX (from Paul Milnes via ebay)
    – Kinesis Pro 6 – Slightly over budget and availability seems to be an issue at the moment
    – Genesis Vapour Disc (but not available as a frame/fork alone)
    – Various Chinese ones (as per my earlier thread) – probably fine but may take a long time

Thanks

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’ve got an Uncle John. It doesn’t seem overly heavy. Not tried it with discs yet. The Planet X fork to go with the frame isn’t disc compatible so I paired up the frame with an alloy Kinesis CX Disc fork instead. It was less than £70 when I got it and no heavier than the majority of carbon CX forks that can take a disc brake. It is actually a very good match with the Uncle John.

I may be sticking on discs later this year once I decide I can justify buying another set of wheels.

scotroutes

2nd hand Marin Lombard?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Bunch of German frames if you use Google.de

mattsccm
    Free Member

Forme look good on ebay

Ed2001
    Free Member

van dessel gin and trombones, carbon and aluminium, full carbon fork and discs, however out of your price range ( although if you give thebearded man a ring he will probably knock something off the list price. Fantastic bikes btw.

clubber
    Free Member

daytime bump

rOcKeTdOg

Cotic X and pretend its aluminium?
    OO dirty disco?

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, RD 😉

Dirty disco is unfortunately rather over my budget it seems..

bajsyckel

Bunch of German frames if you use Google.de

Agree there are some good options from German shops but I emailed several of them and none were willing to ship to the UK.

Paul milnes also have Forme frames available – I was in the same situation as the OP and went for a Merida from them. In the process of building it up now but looks like it will do what I’m after (apart from the Euro graphics on the frame).

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, the graphics are a bit Euro though I could maybe get used to that 🙂

How does the frame seem? Hard to tell really from the pics alone. Don’t suppose you have a weight for it? I’m a bit suprised that it has a standard headset – makes me wonder if it’s a bit of an old design.

rusty90
    Free Member

Ridley X Bow Disc? € 569 from Shop4Cross (who will ship to UK)

bajsyckel

Clubber – I haven’t weighed it yet but can do an approx weight for you – mines a fair bit smaller than your size though. I was tempted by some more expensive options (Kinesis is probably the nicest of the sub £500 IMO, the rest are much of a muchness) but didn’t want something too smart as my current cx bike tends to get used for everything from quick spins to touring, roads to caddon bank at innerleithen. Headset not a worry for me – cheaper for replacements in the future. Paul Milnes were helpful on the phone and did a decent deal.

clubber
    Free Member

That’d be cool.

Just checked the geo though and it says that the head tube is 130mm for a 58 which is pretty tiny even if you add in 30mm for a headset.

bajsyckel

OK Clubber, Mrs bajsyckel’s digital baking scales have the forks in at 659g with a (way too) long steerer and crown race/sfn/topcap/bolt. The frame (plus seatclamp, FSA headset two lengths of cable outer and guides, and a little chain guard thing) weighs in at 1725g. That’s all a rough guide – I don’t vouch for the accuracy and the frame is a 52. Just need to decide on some drops for it and it’ll be getting built up.

glut4
    Free Member
    Houns

I’m selling my voodoo Limba frame, however just disc on fork and canti rear

sv

Pinnacle Arkose:

Linky

Plus a fork.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross disc frames (frame and maybe fork only – not complete bikes)?’ is closed to new replies.