Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Cyclo Cross Bike
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

I have to admit one of the reasons I was looking at the croix de fer is for the steel frame…

I used to have a beautiful steel framed rigid bike until it was pinched… I think I am going to follow my heart on this one… It’s hard to get the croix de fer outta my head. A bit like that stunning burd at uni that you never quite had the balls to chase properly……….

euanr
    Free Member

Have you seen the Salsa Vaya?

It’s like the CdF but nicer! 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

my crosslight weighs about that and I doubt any of my steel stable weigh much less.Its not a problem for me

dobo
    Free Member

Focus is tempting, cube is even more tempting but i think the Giant Tcx would get my vote, the frames are lovely.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/tcx.1/7859/45489/

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

The cheap wheels and aluminium fork would rule out the Giant for me (and the fact they no longer import XL sizes).

robdob
    Free Member

Just to turn a few thoughts upside down, surely it’s for the longer rides that the lightweight harsh alu frames make less sense. Want something more “all-round” then worry less about race weight, and check out the steel options.

Absolutely no evidence that the alu frame is going to be more harsh just because of the material it’s made of!!!

Changing the tyres will make more of a difference.

My Secteur and Tricross both feel as comfortable, if not more comfortable than my steel PX Kaffenback.

dobo
    Free Member

the fork is carbon on the tcx 1, and the wheels on all these bikes aint exactly great, be the first upgrade for all the bikes mentioned for me

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

So it does. My mistake.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Robdob- without wishinf to atart a huge debate there is evidence,it’s juat all anecdotal. Until there has ben a rigorous scientific investigation comparing the responses between materials and geometry then you can’t just dismiss the anecdotal stuff.

I agree there are a huge number of factors which influence the way a bike will feel, but you cannot dismiss frame material altogether!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

So I bought the Croix de fer. It was the only one I could get a ride on and I knew if I got the one on the 30 day test ride from wiggle it would all go wrong!!!

Took it out for the first proper (if short) ride tonight. Luckily I am very impressed. Need to fiddle around with the handle bar position to find the optimum. But I am now content, its so much easier to hold speed than on my mountain bike which I seem to fight the whole way on the flat.

Hopefully gonna get some big miles in over the next few months beyond my normal commute to work.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross Bike’ is closed to new replies.