Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • "Cyclists – Stay Awesome" car/van/lorry stickers
  • GrahamS

road.cc have come up with a nice response to the various “Cyclists – Stay Back” stickers that have appeared on various lorries etc:

http://road.cc/content/news/121857-share-love-road-stay-awesome-sticker

😀

pondo

Oh, I do like that. 🙂

D0NK

soooo tempting to get a boat load and distribute them to all the cars in our area one night 🙂

DenDennis
    Free Member

Nice, but I believe the correct usage is ‘keep being’ , rather than ‘stay’, as per:

😛

GrahamS

I was thinking a covert trip to the bus depot might be in order 😀

brooess
    Free Member

I like the idea of a guerilla campaign of placing more friendly stickers over the existing victim-blaming things (especially with really tough glue), but that message walks straight into the ‘smug cyclists’ territory which will do nothing to win over the general public

GrahamS

You’re right brooess. It’d be fun though 😀

TfL did say
    that it was “unfeasible” to remove the “Cyclists Stay Back” stickers from vehicles – so really we’d just be helping them out. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Won’t mean anything round here as the ‘Stay Back’ stickers are only in London. London is different.

Might be nice to have something to show allegiance to cyclists when driving though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What if you are already awesomnez?

DezB
    Free Member

Stay that way..

GrahamS

I saw a “Cyclists: Stay Back” sticker on the back of a cement mixer in Gateshead the other day. So they are spreading. And more worringly I hear that they are appearing on vans now too!

On the bright side, TfL have just decided to scrap them for something a bit politer and issue guidance on what vehicles they should be applied to.

http://road.cc/content/news/121876-transport-london-agrees-scrap-stay-back-stickers

DezB
    Free Member

Time for rucksacks with “LORRIES: GIVE ME ROOM YOU ****”

brooess
    Free Member

The bits about drivers using the stickers as an excuse to drive without due care and attention is more than a little worrying… as in, given any excuse for it, some drivers will deliberately stop caring about anyone else on the road…

Glad the campaigners have been able to make some quick progress on this. Anecdotally there’s more and more people riding these days and with Wiggle potentially about to float on the stockmarket and Halfords making increased profits from cycling, it suggests more and more new riders are coming into the roads – so if there was ever a time when drivers needed to drive with a sense of responsibility, this is it.

I still think a campaign of direct action with more appropriately worded stickers being placed over these things, would be most effective. Maybe something like “I’m probably not looking, or fiddling with my phone and don’t really give a damn about killing you, so I’d steer clear if I were you” That’s basically the mindset I have when I ride… 😕

stoffel
    Free Member

The stay back stickers are a bloody good idea, and remind cyclists of the dangers of passing up the inside of large vehicles. I don’t think some smug arsey ‘retaliation’ is necessary or at all clever. Just antagonistic. Plus it’s also possibly criminal damage. Yay; let’s encourage illegal activity. That’ll win the irate drivers over. 🙄

mintimperial

Won’t mean anything round here as the ‘Stay Back’ stickers are only in London.

No they’re not. I’ve seen quite a few round our way (W. Yorks), mostly on scratty white vans and the like until recently, but our local bus company has started putting similar ones on their buses now too.

DezB
    Free Member

Alright, London and the Norf. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

The stay back stickers are a bloody good idea, and remind cyclists of the dangers of passing up the inside of large vehicles. I don’t think some smug arsey ‘retaliation’ is necessary or at all clever. Just antagonistic. Plus it’s also possibly criminal damage. Yay; let’s encourage illegal activity. That’ll win the irate drivers over.

Did you read the article?
    Why are the driver’s “irate”?
    Because they think we’re second class road users and that sticker reinforces the view. 🙄

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The stay back stickers are a bloody good idea, and remind cyclists of the dangers of passing up the inside of large vehicles. I don’t think some smug arsey ‘retaliation’ is necessary or at all clever.

Agreed.

GrahamS

The stay back stickers are a bloody good idea, and remind cyclists of the dangers of passing up the inside of large vehicles.

Nothing wrong with signs to remind novice cyclists that going up the inside of an HGV is a bad idea.

But these ones are worded to suggest cyclists have no right to be there and should get the hell out of the way. Why word it “Cyclists: Stay Back” rather than “Cyclists: Please Overtake With Care” or just “Beware Of My Blindspots. Don’t Undertake”?

Plus the “Stay Back” stickers have been applied to buses, vans and cars – all of which can see cyclists just fine and just want us to go away.

I’m no fan of the busy and misleading design for the National Express “blindspot” stickers, but at least they manage not to be aggressive or suggest we shouldn’t be on the road:

stoffel
    Free Member

Because they think we’re second class road users and that sticker reinforces the view.

No; the stickers alert cyclists of the dangers of passing up the inside of large vehicles. In heavy urban traffic, drivers cannot be expected to be aware of what’s happening up the inside of their vehicles, especially when they’re supposed to be looking ahead. You are not suposed tob e overtaing a vehicle on the inside anyway, unless you have a whole clear lane, and even on a cycle lane, you should be very careful. Arguing about ‘second class road users is great when you’re squashed.

Or maybe we should letDarwimism take over?

nedrapier

stoffel, no-one’s got any issue with warning cyclists about the dangers of being on the inside of big vehicles, in their blind spot.

That’s not what’s being discussed here. Have another read.

nedrapier

The stay back stickers are a bloody good idea, and remind cyclists of the dangers of passing up the inside of large vehicles.

The “stay back” one’s don’t. They don’t warn, they don’t specify, they don’t educate, they don’t remind. They instruct, with no reasons.

I overtook 153 vehicles on my 6 mile ride to work the other day. Not an unsual morning. Should I “stay back” behind the first one with a sticker?

brooess
    Free Member

You are not suposed tob e overtaing a vehicle on the inside anyway,

So why are cycle lanes on the left hand side of the lane then? If we can’t undertake stationary traffic there’s no point cycling is there? We’ll either sit in the queue getting carbon monoxide poisoning or might as well just drive!

Don’t get me wrong, as a cyclist I’m very well aware of my vulnerability and take great care not to put myself at risk, but vehicle drivers have a great responsibility not to kill and injure people just because they can’t be bothered looking properly… these stickers are being used as a get-out according to the campaigning organisations.

Personally I think education and training sessions (for all road users) would be the best option…

tthew

They’re cool. I needed something to replace the No biking, no skateboarding, no fun Charlie the Bikemonger sticker that went with my old van, and that’s just the job.

GrahamS

…drivers cannot be expected to be aware of what’s happening up the inside of their vehicles, especially when they’re supposed to be looking ahead.

If they are turning towards the left, then yes they should be expected to check their mirrors carefully and be aware of what’s happening on their inside.

That’s just basic look-where-you-are-going driving.

(likewise, cyclists on the inside of vehicles should be prepared for muppets that don’t check or signal before moving, but then the same applies when you are on the outside of a vehicle too)

You are not supposed to be overtaking a vehicle on the inside anyway, unless you have a whole clear lane

“Not supposed to” according to who?

Overtaking and Filtering whilst Cycling

ryan91
    Free Member

Was always told by my driving instructor when pulling away to check both mrrors sweeping from the left to right before checking the blind spot. When moving, check the inside mirror relative to your next manoeuvre after checking the rear view mirror.

So with this in mind, why would you even need this sticker on a car or van ? For the same reason people would rather cut you up on a left turn, or don’t indicate, or force an overtake instead of waiting for the opposite side to clear…..laziness and no repercussions for their actions. Same as them cyclists on pavements, or those cutting red lights etc.

GrahamS

Well said nedrapier.

“Stay Back” is a meaningless command that educates no one, gives no indication of the danger, and is impractical to obey.

pk13

Free from halfords /AA
    Ideal for vans and lorry wing mirrors as a reminder.

STATO
    Free Member

So why are cycle lanes on the left hand side of the lane then? If we can’t undertake stationary traffic there’s no point cycling is there? We’ll either sit in the queue getting carbon monoxide poisoning or might as well just drive!

Cycle lane is on the left to allow other road users to pass you.
    You dont need to undertake, overtake if its safer.

Also, who said cycling had to be faster? this is my issue with many of the cycle campaigners, the attitude of;

‘the road should be modified to make it quicker to cycle : we should be able to run red lights : junctions should give priority to cyclists not cars : road space should be taken from cars to make it harder to drive’

^thats not made up by the way, thats the opinion of Newcastle Cycle Campaign.

GrahamS

‘the road should be modified to make it quicker to cycle : we should be able to run red lights : junctions should give priority to cyclists not cars : road space should be taken from cars to make it harder to drive’

^thats not made up by the way, thats the opinion of Newcastle Cycle Campaign.

Link?

All that sounds pretty sensible to me, apart from the “should be able to run red lights” (though I suspect you’re misinterpreting that one). Those are the things you do if you want to encourage cycling and make it safe.

(I’m an active member of that campaign by the way)

edlong
    Free Member

In heavy urban traffic, drivers cannot be expected to be aware of what’s happening up the inside of their vehicles, especially when they’re supposed to be looking ahead.

I really, really, really hope you don’t have a driving licence.

brooess
    Free Member

road space should be taken from cars to make it harder to drive’

why not? Tens of thousands in the UK are dying each year from obesity and pollution-related diseases, and before they die, they cost £billions in healthcare, at a time when NHS is under huge cost pressure from an ageing population…

Let alone the noise pollution…

Cars only came into mass usage in the 1950’s, and they have a massively negative impact on society, which is why they’re taxed (so drivers (me included) can make a contribution towards the costs they impose on the everyone else…

I’m not anti-car (I have one) but I am anti this excessive and careless use of the things which people seem to want to insist on, despite massive, massive damage to our daily quality of life. Nothing wrong with change you know 😯

botanybay
    Free Member

What’s wrong with trying to warn cyclists not to be killed by a 10 tone truck by riding up the inside?

GrahamS

What’s wrong with trying to warn cyclists not to be killed by a 10 tone truck by riding up the inside?

Nothing.

But that Stay Back sticker doesn’t do that though does it?

Especially when it’s on the back of a taxi.

botanybay
    Free Member

It tells them to stay back. it says it clearly, up there, in that picture above. Staying back is safe, riding up the inside isn’t in many cases. Especially when taxis are involved.

dpfr

Given the average taxi’s ability to stop abruptly without signalling, being immediately behind a taxi at any sort of speed is just asking for trouble.

GrahamS

It tells them to stay back. it says it clearly, up there, in that picture above. Staying back is safe

I see.

Should we avoid passing every single vehicle on the road, or only the ones with this sticker on them?

Stay back you fool!

nedrapier

Staying back is safe, riding up the inside isn’t in many cases.

Being sat at my desk is safer than spending an extra hour on the road. Breathing fresh air is safer than sitting behind someone’s exhaust pipe for 90 minutes. And I like my sleep, and I like my home.

So I’m going to carry on moving through traffic, on both sides, wherever’s safe. I’m going to be especially careful round big things, and I’m not going to “Stay Back” because a sticker tells me to.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Keep seeing the ‘Stay Back’ ones on taxis and light courier vans in London – two groups of road users who often can’t bothered to check their mirrors or indicate before they pull over.

On a tipper truck or a long vehicle its perfectly sensible to have a warning about blind spots etc, but saying ‘stay back’ on a normal vehicle is essentially just demanding that other users accord you special rights simply because you’re too lazy to hold up your end of the social contract and mirror/signal before you maneuver.

I like the road.cc ones better

cfinnimore
    Free Member

On the right side of the local scrappys van reads
    “safe side” on the left “suicide”.

Written by fingers on filth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘"Cyclists – Stay Awesome" car/van/lorry stickers’ is closed to new replies.