Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cycling MOD land this weekend (Small group 4 people)
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hey Guys,

with the current weather the chilterns are good for riding and I fancy something different from Swinley.

From the gorricks this year I now know a selection of routes round Tunnel Hill, Frith Hill and Windmill Hill.

I heard the MOD is clamping down on Cyclists again, but some alot of posters just seem to think its a lot of hot air.

Anyone been cycling round them areas recent ? Any reason not to go ?

Would taking a small group 4 people be a bad idea at the moment.

theotherjonv

As a TH local I’m staying clear at the moment to let the dust settle. haven’t been on any military area for a month now. If you do go, steer clear of any military activity and if you do run into soldiers or wardens then politeness personified would be appropriate.

wwaswas

if you do meet any soldiers mention that you’re part of the Olympics security exercise and that your rucksacks/camelbacks form a part of the scenario you’re involved with.

shortcut

I don’t believe anything has changed and the MoD are still trying to discourage riding on the land.

The bye laws certainly haven’t changes so riding on anything other than the ‘metalled tracks’ is prohibited. So you should not ride there.

gren
    Free Member

Been fine recently – I ride there 2 or 3 times a week. Been on Tunnel and Porridgepot/Windmill in the last couple of weeks – passed the Landmarc vans and got smiles and nods from them.

There’s gonna be a few people from the Trolls on Tunnel on Monday surveying anyone using the area (walkers, bikers, horsey types) to help the TAG negotiate with the MOD regarding any new rules. As far as I’m aware nothing definite has been decided yet but stupid acts will make their decision easier.

Usual rules apply – see a squaddie turn around, be polite and leave if asked to.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Ha one of the girls is actually volunteering at the Olympics as a Spanish translator. Maybe I could get her to bring her security documents.

Thanks for the info guys.

Sounds like its Swinley again this weekend, probably monday due to the gorrick Enduro.

Everywhere else will be a bog.

thepurist

Have the Trolls stopped using the area for their weekly rides too? I was thinking of heading that way at the w/e too but it sounds like it’s not the best idea.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Oh that interesting Gren, maybe if we’re planning on going Monday it might be a good thing to be at Tunnel Hill ?

Roge

shortcut

The main Tuesday night Troll ride is now and has for some time been away from the areas MoD own.

gren
    Free Member

Am not sure sure whether more or less riders will be a positive although I doubt 4 more will make a huge impact on the results. Fewer riders = less impact, more riders suggests a need for some area to ride.

I do think though that the less impact we all have on military exercises in the area the more likley the MOD are to be lenient in their rules.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hey Shortcut are we allowed to know where the THT tuesday night ride is or is that a secret 🙂

I thought most of the land round there was military.

Ie Tunnel/Porridgepot/Windmill hills, Hawley Common, Minley Wood, Forest of Eversley/Ceasars Camp.

The only bits I know that arent really are :-

Yately Heath wood (but have nt they built a quarry there ?)
    Warren / Heath Warren Wood (I like riding there but a bit small maybe I dont know it all)

and obviously Swinley.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Oh yeah and there is yately common but seemed to be alot of walkers there more a family place than a MTBing place when I explored it one saturday.

gren
    Free Member

Go to the THT website. All the rides are posted, well certainly the start points are.

shortcut

This week was around Blackbush and Hartley Wintney!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

oh cheers guys might give me some other ideas ta roge

rootes1

Not been out to TH for a week or so – not seen any changes to posters put up etc? posters are just about cycling considerately (applies to walkers as well)

is this stuff just being whipped up again? also can understand groups of riders are more visible than individuals

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cycling MOD land this weekend (Small group 4 people)’ is closed to new replies.