Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Croix de fer 10 or Specialized Sequoia?
  • bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Pinnacle might have no soul but by all accounts (or reviews, as I don’t actually know anyone who has one) they’re well made. I’m not sure that Specialized as a manufacturer have a great deal of soul either, but in terms of retail sites, Evans is as soulless as they come. 🙁 But it’s the bike that matters not the purchase. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m really getting on well with my Sequoia.
    Today I took it on a ride I know well, the Christmas Pie trail to Guildford and back, about 32 miles of town, country lanes, cycle paths, towpaths, unmade paths, bridleways and a bit of singletrack thrown in for good measure.
    Normally this is my ‘Sunny day lunch jaunt’ and I don’t rush, and I’ve done it on about four or five different bikes.
    The Sequoia was easily the fastest thing I’ve done it on. I absolutely flew along. It’s got that lovely communicative zingy ride you only get with a quality steel frame too.
    I had to be careful of the odd slimy muddy patch but other than that it was the perfect bike. On the way back I know there’s a Strava segment (sorry) on a bit of old railway line so I hit it hard and fast. It’s a compacted gravel surface and I was down in the drops at about 21-22mph, flat out. I got third overall! Not bad for a fat old bloke!
    But yeah, for the riding I like to do now, local exploring and day rides, I’m very happy with it.
    I’m slowly going to be some of the SWAT kit to go on it too, there’s a thing that screws under the saddle that takes a tube, I might get the multi tool and I got a voucher for my birthday which I used to get the top cap chain tool.
    The 3 main botttle cage mounts are ace because one of them takes and Abus Bordo lock (good locks, very convenient) so I can lock up in town which is handy.
    I really really like the ‘riser’ drop bars too. The flat section is quite high but the hoods are lower, so you get the road bike feel but a nice higher hand position for relaxing.
    Not sure how long the fabric denim look saddle will last, it’s already got ingraimed mud on it but it’s comfy and looks ace with the matching bar tape.
    My Gorilla Tape tubeless conversion leaked a bit at first but it’s settled down and is airtight now, only loosing maybe 5-10psi a week. I’m gradually dropping the pressures too. 50f/55r I’m at now with no noticeable drop in road speed but better off road mannners. I’ll keep dropping them until performance tails off but I think I’m about there now tbh.
    Err that’s about it for now. 🙂

Oh, last week I did the blue trail at Swinley on it as well… 😀

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Good news!
    I’ve got less than a week to wait for mine……!
    It sounds exactly what I was after…

househusband

I’m really getting on well with my Sequoia.

Ditto!

I’m sure we all say this about pretty much most of our new bikes but I’ve never felt so instantly right and at home on a bike before. The bars are utterly perfect despite what some may think of them being riser, drop and flared.

I succumbed and spent the money I saved on the unexpected discount from the LBS on a (much) lighter wheelset; DT Swiss R24 Spline DB’s and I’ve put the new 35mm Panaracer Gravel Kings on them – perfect combination. Running them tubeless I think I’ve lost between 1.2 and 1.3kg in rotating weight and the bike flies! Wouldn’t use these wheels for proper off-road touring/camping but for rides from the door it has made the Sequoia much lighter and quicker!

An utterly comfortable bicycle, so glad I bought it.

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Mine’s in the LBS today! Hip hip hippie hooray! 😀 Unfortunately it seems there’s a problem with the groupset-not-specified FSA chainset and it’s not playing nicely with the front mech; so they (LBS) want to fit a Sora chainset instead. Which means less low gears. 🙁 Well, at least it will work. I’ll give it a go and quite likely end up doing something or other with it after a while.

ampthill

I’d lie to know how other get on with the chainset and front mech’. I’m thinking of going smaller at the front on my bike…

househusband

I’d like to know how other get on with the chainset and front mech’. I’m thinking of going smaller at the front on my bike…

Fine, no problems – sorry to hear about the problem that bmblbzzz is having.

But if I was bike-packing or off-road touring then perhaps I might appreciate lower gearing.

ampthill

Thanks Houshusand

My bike isn’t a Sequoia its got a 34-50. So Thinking I might fit something a bi smaller from spa cycles, but with the same front mech’

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Someone I know fitted a Spa 30-46 on a Croix de Fer and it works ok. Not as smooth a change at the front as before, but works ok and he certainly uses the big ring quite a bit now. He’s still using the same mech as when he had a 34-50, which I think is a 105. It’s a good looking chainset too (IMO anyway – and more importantly, his!).

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Browsing through some old cycling mags the other day in the course of “tidying up” I saw an advert from 2011 for… a Specialized Sequoia! Reduced from £999 to £899, “A great 30-speed sportif with mudguard clearance”! They’ve used the name since the early 80s at least, so fair enough! Potential for confusion but I think we’ll be clear.

steezysix
    Free Member

@ bmblbzzz – do you know what the front axle size is on your Sequoia? No info on the Spesh website whether the steel fork is QR or 12mm like the other models in the range.
    Cheers!

BigDummy
    Free Member

They’ve used the name since the early 80s at least, so fair enough! Potential for confusion but I think we’ll be clear.

Old one and a new one. This seems to be a press pic from Spesh:

🙂

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

@ bmblbzzz – do you know what the front axle size is on your Sequoia? No info on the Spesh website whether the steel fork is QR or 12mm like the other models in the range.
    Cheers!

I haven’t got it yet! But apparently it’s a 12mm through axle on all forks.

steezysix
    Free Member

OK, thanks! New dynamo hub time…

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Today, should be the day!
    I await a phone call, like an expectant father…..

Stedlocks
    Free Member

New bike day! :0)

I picked it up tonight at about 5, just before the shop shut….they (trax in Buntingford) did a sterling job for me, as it wasn’t delivered till about 3.30 ish, and the mechanic, John, built it up for me and pdi’d it so I could take it home tonight….I have only good words to say about the shop…tony, the owner, and John have been fantastic, start to finish!
    Now, the bike!
    I took it home, constantly looking behind me at it, in the back of the kangoo….it looks magnificent!
    I removed the unnecessary reflectors, and the tubes and tape, gave the rims a wrap of gorilla tape, popped the cafelatex valves in, and pumped them up with a track pump…easy! I used 50ml of joes no flats, and they seem to be holding straight off the bat. Saddle height adjusted, bar angle spun round a bit, so it doesn’t hit the top tube and a quick couple of spins up and down the close, to bed the brakes in. All set for the first ride tomorrow! As it is, ready to ride, it weighs a fairly portly 29lbs, but like its ‘new bike blind’ owner, seems to carry the chub well!

flap_jack
    Free Member

29lbs, what size ? I bet the wheels are a good bit of that. I wonder what the frame weight is ? I’ve steel bikes which are 2kg for a 64cm frame…

ElShalimo

We need photos

RustySpanner

I bet your scales are out a bit, mine too.
    🙂

The small AWOL came in at less than that on our bathroom scales.

Not a chance that it’s actually heavier in real life.

househusband

29lbs, what size ? I bet the wheels are a good bit of that.

They are! I weighed mine – see page back:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/croix-de-fer-10-or-specialized-sequoia/page/2#post-7995964

NB Mine is the 58cm, not the 56cm as I stated there – I corrected myself a few posts later. Not that it makes any difference to wheel weight…

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Just getting my kit on for the first ride :0)

It’s a 58. The wheels are definately weighty, but the steel for is something like 1400 g heavier than the carbon one, I read somewhere? I think I’ll get the carbon version when spesh start selling them on their own.

If it’s needed!

Pics later, when I get photobucket to bloody work on this old iPad ;0)

househusband

but the steel for is something like 1400 g heavier than the carbon one…

In that case 29lbs would be pretty much spot-on.

Enjoy your first ride!

zanelad
    Free Member

Stedlocks, did you look at the Ramble? There’s one in my LBS window and I popped in and had a look at it.

I like the bike, it just seems that at £999 it’s a quite dear considering the equipment. Sora, cable discs etc. when one can get a much better spec for the same or less.

I do like to look of the Ramble though and have started to avoid walking past the LBS window in case my resolve weakens and I buy the thing.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

It’s a joy…..seriously. You don’t notice the weight when it’s up to ramming speed and the tyres are superb. I know what that sounds like, but they are.
    I had some trouble with flex from either the cranks or square taper bb, which meant I had to spend some time mucking with the front mech, but I can put up with it for now…..

tomski
    Free Member

Nice bike Stedlocks.
    I recognise that place, I ride around there quite often.
    Enjoy your new bike!

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Wild guess, is it somewhere near Colchester?

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Nah fella, it’s the lea valley white water centre…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@zanelad I have been looking at various similar bikes and was moving toward a Gryphon until my winter bike broke properly meaning I needed something with mudguards and for road training. Ended up buying a deeply unfashionable Raleigh Maverick Comp from CR, with 10% BC discount as well (£719) it couldn’t be matched for spec/cost. 631 frame, Rival 11sp, HY/RD discs and plenty of clearance. Hopefully here next week and I can ditch a lot of the heavy OE stuff and replace with carbon parts from the pile in the shed!

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

I walked to the LBS and I rode home on MY Specialized Sequoia! 😀

ElShalimo

shedbrewed – that looks like a great spec for that price. How are you getting on with it?

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Underneath the down tube is a sticker with the frame no, sku no and bar code. It says PEEL ME. What’s it there for and what are you supposed to do with it once you’ve peeled it off? Or maybe people just leave it there? I’m sure it makes thing easier for stock control in shops and warehouses but can’t see its relevance to the owner, nor the benefit in peeling it off…

The seat post is a funny design, isn’t it? Works though!

kimi
    Free Member

^seriously? how about peel it off and pop it in the bin?

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Ok, maybe I’m overthinking it. But if the answer is to bin it, then why is it there? (Yeah, I answered that myself already – stock control in the shop/warehouse.) So the question becomes two: Why doesn’t the shop peel it off as part of prep? And why not just leave it there?

I was actually wondering if it was intended to be kept with the user guide thing as some sort of ‘proof of ownership’.

househusband

The frame number is contained within the data square QR code thing on the frame; I took off the ‘peel me’ sticker and stuck it in the manual.

What I can’t work out is what all the bits and bobbins that came in the plastic bag are for!

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Time to update Immobilized account.

Those bobbins include, along with cable end caps, cable outer caps and grub screws, some ring things which are apparently to fit Specialized Plug n Play mudguards – which they don’t seem to make in a size to fit those 42mm tyres…

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

Was with my mate when he picked up his sequoia from the LBS – apparently spesh plug and play guards for sequoia’s are due in uk Jan ’17

Ring things are to fit to the p&p mounts to allow normal guards to be fitted

A

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Oh, is that what they’re for? Thanks, that’s useful to know. Don’t think I can wait till Jan for mudguards, unless it turns out to be an exceptionally dry winter.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

If they are like this:

P&P mount

Then yep – adaptors for normal guards – hope that helps!

A

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the things. 40 euros a set WTF!!!! 😯 Gonna make sure I don’t lose that little plastic bag!

Stedlocks
    Free Member

There’s not enough pictures on this thread!

Another 55 miles off road yesterday, down to Epping forest and Loughton, using as much ‘gravel’ as we can muster down here!
    I’ve still got to tweak the setup, as I have a bit of knee discomfort today….just a little bit.
    Even though it’s a bit weighty, the longer you ride it, the less it becomes obvious….it holds speed easily on the flat, and is loads easier into a headwind, which is obvious really…..still loving it, and the tyres just keep on surprising me with the levels of grip. Point it into a turn, lean, and pedal out!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Croix de fer 10 or Specialized Sequoia?’ is closed to new replies.