Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • criminal records check – can I do one online now?
  • brakes
    Free Member

hi, does anyone know if I can do an online check for someone’s criminal record? need to do it now if possible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The person in question can, or you can do so, with their consent/involvement through an umbrella body.

What you can do depends on the purpose for which you need to do the check.

DavidB
    Free Member

Can’t be done without their consent as far as I am aware

brakes
    Free Member

ah, ok, thanks
    someone I know, knows someone who may or may not be a wanted man, just trying to find out what they were convicted of and when and if there is still a warrant out for their arrest
    the police have been notified

Junkyard
    Free Member

no
    crb are not online and there would be major dat protection issues if this was widelt available.
    IIRC [apart form the police] there is no database of offenders in the UK.
    EDIT: searched google? was the crime reported or searched a most wanted crimestoppers /crimewatch type site?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brakes, there are legal ways to find out without consent, but it ain’t cheap!

Junk, there is online accesss available to the CRB, but only in certain circs. Not quite the PNC going open source……

Junkyard
    Free Member

what legal ways CPT? I assume all you can do is trawl court records
    Stop editing Flash you are making me look [more] stupid 😉
    For it to be on the CRB you would need to have applied to them I assume and I assume they dont have a record of people who have never applied to them …do they?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Disclosure Scotland allows onlne access to Basic Disclosure, if circs alow. Crim checks are totally allowed for certain employment related situations. There are myriad issues relating o the Rehabilitationof Offenders Act, but beer precludes me from making enough sense!

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve searched google and know what the crime was, just wondered if there were more official details I could look up.
    there was a warrant out for them in 2006, as far as I can tell from internet searches – I would hope they would have arrested them by now

poly
    Free Member

ah, ok, thanks
    someone I know, knows someone who may or may not be a wanted man, just trying to find out what they were convicted of and when and if there is still a warrant out for their arrest
    the police have been notified

not sure that would show up on a Criminal Record Check anyway – as there would be no conviction?

iDave
    Free Member

Surely if the police have been notified it’s none of your business?

brakes
    Free Member

implications of previous convictions mean it is my business

Nonsense
    Free Member

If there is an outstanding warrant for arrest it would have been issued by a court. If they are wanted for a criminal offence then there wouldn’t be a warrant. In either circumstance a CRB check wouldn’t tell you. It only holds details of criminal convictions, cautions etc. That information would be available to the police through the PNC and internal warrant databases within each police force. So in short, you wouldn’t be able to find out if the person was wanted unless the police told you so and in order to trace them, or it was published in the media. They also wouldn’t tell you if they had been arrested unless you had a lawful reason to know. The legislation surrounding the disclosure of criminal convictions changes a fair bit (search Sarah’s law on google).

chewkw
    Free Member

Google the person. You might be surprised how much info you can find about a person and if you are uneasy about what you see then just don’t hire them after all you are the recruiter. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘criminal records check – can I do one online now?’ is closed to new replies.