Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Crank Brothers Shoe Shields – alternatives?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Continuing my spd shoe woes, I need some more of those shields to protect the carbon soles from the pedals. Crank Brothers do a nice Shoe Shield for about £8 a pair. I’m a bit tight, and need to sort three pairs of shoes out, so I was thinking of making my own, laser cut from 0.5mm stainless. Getting three pairs done would not work out much/any cheaper, but if I get loads they should be relatively cheap. Would anyone else be interested in a few sets? If there’s enough interest I’ll find out some prices.

Cheers,

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yes please.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yes please!
    Crank Brothers one’s last 5 minutes!
    Max

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Count me in for two pairs.

wwaswas

*raises hand*

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You have email

zippykona

Would cutting up a coke can work?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Would cutting up a coke can work?

I expect it would, but they’re alu (?) and thinner, so might not last that long.

I think there’s enough interest for me to get some costs so will get back to everyone later in the week.

mike_p
    Free Member

Yes, interested!

There used to be a few providers of this sort of thing – Sole Savers, SOS (Save Our Soles), etc. Whatever happened to them?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The ‘solesavers’ chap went quiet. I need to replace the last of a batch I bought from him.

vmgscot

Interested in a few pairs

mike_p
    Free Member

Beater Blockers was another!

Mowgli
    Free Member

I will have to come up with a catchy product name…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Here’s the design. The slot width of 15mm I will probably change to 14mm as I measured my cleats last night and it seems to be 14mm. I’ll open up the slot radius to 5.5mm as well to clear the bolts. They’ll be straight from the laser so the edges might be sharp, but the corners are radiused as shown. I expect they’ll work best if they’re curved slightly to conform to the shoe sole, but I’ll leave that for you to do.

Price is probably going to be about £2 per pair, and £1 for postage. Adding up the requests above there’s about 20 pairs. Any more requests before I place an order?

wwaswas

I wanted 4 pairs please.

vmgscot

4 pairs for me too

Mowgli
    Free Member

Ok, order has been placed with the laser people. I should have them towards the end of next week. Can anyone who’s interested email me please? I’ll not take any money till I’ve picked the plates up.

zippykona

If there’s any spares I’d like some.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yeah, there will be plenty.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Can I take 4 pairs if you have some left over?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yep, please can you email me.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ll have the sole protectors on Monday. If anyone else wants any, please email – I have ordered some spare sets.
    Cheers,

Mowgli
    Free Member

Plenty available! Please email me if interested as it’ll be easier for me to keep track of everything. The laser splatter is only on one side, and comes off with wire wool.

Mowgli
    Free Member

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Mine arrived today. Nice clean edges with no sharp bits. Impressed and very pleased. Thanks Mowgli.

zippykona

Yes very nice,thank you.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks from me, too.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

oops

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Bugger.. missed out on this. Would like a set if there’s still any going!

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yeah still plenty – can you email me?
    Ta

PJ266
    Free Member

Thread resurrection!

Unlikely to have any left now Mowgli?

Are there any other alternatives on the market now?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Also interested as just about to get new shoes so would be up for some of these.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers Shoe Shields – alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.