Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Converting a dry bag to a pannier? any ideas?
  • lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

I have 2 aldi roll top dry bags – 25l
    I want to use them on a pannier rack for clothes etc (nowt heavy)
    Where can i buy clips/fixings to go onto a pannier rack?

Also the plastic board used for things like for sale signs – what is it called? Would use that as reinforcing for the back maybe and to secure fittings to so as not to pull them thru.

wwaswas

I suspect it would be cheaper and safer to buy a cheap set of non-waterproof panniers and just use them to carry the dry bags?

[edit] or just bungy the dry bags on top of the rack not at the side? Making holes for fixings will de-waterproof them too.

alfabus
    Free Member

either that or buy some ortieb back rollers which are dry bags with the clips already attached – they’re also the right shape and size to fit properly without fouling your heels.

Dave

ElShalimo

LOMO do good kayaking kit at sensible prices
    They recently launch a new dry-bag rucsac and a 40L motorbike pannier – you might be able to pick up some hints from their design
    http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html

d45yth
    Free Member

Two links that may be of interest to you:
    One
    Two

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

WHERE WOULD I BUY THE FASTENINGS FROM?

wwaswas

WHY DON’T YOU LEARN TO USE GOOGLE INSTEAD OF COMING ON HERE AND SHOUTING AT PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU?

http://www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-bag-parts-c-43.html

AS YOU’LL SEE, THE PRICE OF ENOUGH SPARE PARTS TO MOUNT YOUR OWN BAG ON A PANNIER FRAME WILL BE GREATER THAN THE COST OF THE PANNIER BAGS THEY ARE SPARE PARTS FOR.

SO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE A CHEAPSKATE WHY NOT JUST GET SOMETHIGN THAT’S DESIGNED TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY AND STOP FANNYING ABOUT WITH TAT FROM ALDI.

*and breathe*

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

i wasn’t shouting just didn’t turn caps lock off after doing some work in capitals.

Oh and grow up sonny!!

wwaswas

just didn’t turn caps lock off

I think you’ll find that this counts as shouting?

[edit]

Oh and grow up sonny!!

bless.

d45yth
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

WHY DON’T YOU LEARN TO USE GOOGLE INSTEAD
    That’s a good point. It took me less than a minute to find the two links above and there are 1000’s more…just search for ‘DIY panniers’.
    If you baulk at the price of a few bits of plastic designed for the job, get creative with a few fixings from your local hardware store.

alfabus
    Free Member

pmsl @ this thread 🙂

labsey
    Free Member

You’d have to build a cage or a sleeve you can attach fasteners to. That way you’d keep the original bag sealed and puncture free. If you can sew, make some big ass pockets which sit over the rack. These are also known in some circles as ‘panniers’.

The best place to find pannier clips would be on the inside of some panniers. Like others have said, take the hit and buy some. Better than sitting at the side of a trail trying to rebuild your collapsed Heath Robinson contraption with cable ties and gaffer tape.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Carradice sell em via spa cycles, thats all i can tell you or i’ll be shot

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Converting a dry bag to a pannier? any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.