Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Commuting ! is 32 miles too far each way ???
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t Allez the range of slightly more comfortable bikes? So not really audax bikes as such, still carbon and fast, but with a few nods towards comfort. Although thinking about it, I seem to remember talking to a guy who had one and thought it was too heavy.

I wish I’d looked at them when I got my road bike, since I don’t race it.

njee20
    Free Member

Isn’t Allez the range of slightly more comfortable bikes?

No, it’s their entry level alu ‘race’ bikes, like a poor man’s Tarmac the Secteur is the more relaxed one, a cheap Roubaix if you will.

I found it too high at the front – had to take the bearing cover off the headset to get it low enough. It’s the mid-range one and with SKS Race Blades and my PowerTap wheel it weighs 22lbs, a featherweight it certainly isn’t! To be honest it’s the only alu road bike I’ve ever had, so I don’t have a reference, but it’s nowhere near as comfy, stiff or fast as my Madone – which is now 8 years old!

jono1982
    Free Member

Used to do ealing to reading, 31 miles each way, two or three times a week,
    The key to sucess was eating enough food during the day at work so as not to bonk out on the last few miles on the way home.

mainly flat, so rode a bob jackson fixed wheel road bike 47-16 about £300 worth of bike.

I then got a new job up in northampton, used to ride to watford get the train up and ride home, 85mile round trip, i bought a felt f85 road bike for this…

looking back, it was a bit nuts!!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s the mid-range one and with SKS Race Blades and my PowerTap wheel it weighs 22lbs

My Kona wasn’t much less than that out of the box! I think it’s maybe 19.5 now with some nicer kit and the powertap. That’s the nice thing about being an MTBer, even porky road bikes feel really light.

njee20
    Free Member

My MTB weighs 2lbs less. The Allez’s a dog!

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your input, the wife says NO I will be killed,crushed etc.. so I’m saving quitely for a road bike 😀 and see where it takes me, seems £900 could build me a nice 2nd hand bike, I’ve been looking at a couple of Giant Defy carbon frame and forks on fleabay and they look quite nice a 105 groupset of Merlin and some quality wheels would make £900 build achievable. Thanks again., 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Commuting ! is 32 miles too far each way ???’ is closed to new replies.