Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2012
  • TheSanityAssassin

Entries are are now being encouraged for the 9th annual Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge, taking place this year on Sunday 13th May at 9.00am.

The course is a challenging one (as you’d expect) and consists of approx. 30 miles of local paths, tracks, bridleways and lanes around the picturesque Colne Valley area of Huddersfield – regularly featured on TV as settings for Last Of The Summer Wine and Where The Heart Is.

The cost of entry is £15 pre-booked (entry forms available at http://www.cvmbc.co.uk ) and £20 on the day – although we do encourage pre-booking as it greatly assists the organisation of the event.

All participants will receive a free commemorative T-Shirt and certificate upon completion. The course will be fully marshalled throughout and will have 4 refreshment stops at designated points. There will also be a back-up vehicle available for anyone who wishes to (or is forced to!!) retire early.

Bacon Butties will be on sale beforehand at a nominal £1.00 each, but apart from these EVERYTHING ELSE refreshment wise (soup, bread, bananas, flap-jack, biscuits, coffee, tea etc etc) is FREE. Yes FREE. There is also a brilliant little pub – The Walkers Arms – situated on site, so those that wish to can partake of a pint (or two) if so desired.

So, to sum it up – it’s a 30 mile challenging MTB ride, fully marshalled, fully ‘catered’ and absolutely FANTASTIC VALUE, with a pub on site to finish the day off as well. You won’t find a better day out in this area on the 8th May. Come and give it a go – you’ve nothing to lose and we’re absolutely certain that you’ll be well looked after and have a great time.

Last year one of STW Towers’ contributors, Matt Wild, took part again and wrote a complimentary piece for the website: CLICK HERE TO READ IT

Clover

8th or 13th May? Sounds great btw.

fairhurst
    Free Member

This sounds like a Challenge of pure technical mountain bike race.
    Bit out of my league i suspect.

TheSanityAssassin

It’s on the 13th May, as it states in the first sentence…

Fairhurst: It’s 30miles and it’s hilly, but as it’s all on local RoWs there’s nothing ‘technical’ as such. The challenge is in the distance and how well you cope with the climbing and descents. Also, once you’ve done it once, you’ll want to beat your time next year :mrgreen:

mintimperial

Just posted my entry form today. Looking forward to it, but can you sort it out so there’s no headwind whilst we’re slogging up Wessenden this time please? 🙂

TheSanityAssassin

Headwinds are character building 😆

I’ll make arrangements to swap it to the last climb from the canal to Scape if you like though…

marsdenman
    Free Member

On my calendar, entry form in the post this week…..
    2 years since the last (&first) time I rode it.
    Wessenden headwind – literally passing my front door just before the right turn up the hill is a tricky one when it come to the ‘sod it, could stop and be in the bath in 10 mins’ frame of mind… 🙂

I’ll make arrangements to swap it to the last climb from the canal to Scape if you like though…

evil thought, pure evil 😈

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

It’s a couple of years since I last did this one but I’m looking forward to doing it again this year.It’s a good day out,just hope we get the weather

Clover

There was a flicker of hope that I could do it when it said 8 May in the last but one para… but no, I will be mopping the bf’s brow or whatever you’re supposed to do as he takes on the Fred Whitton on the 13th. Next year.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whats the rough split of on road/off road?

TheSanityAssassin

It’s probably about 50/50 in terms of terrain, but more time spent offroad as it’s slower going.. :mrgreen:

paul78
    Free Member

Any way to electronically enter .. send entry via paypal etc ???

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s a fair bit of road but I’d have put it less than 50%, it’s all fun too, either out in desolate bits or up and downresidential streets!

Great event BTW, it gets teh cynic-al seal of approval.

c9tln
    Free Member

Had my form filled out and ready to post but unfortunately did my collar bone the other day so I’ve no chance now which I’m pretty gutted about as I was looking forward to beating last years time!

TheSanityAssassin

No electronic entry facility I’m afraid, you can either pay on the day or take the chance that postie rich and/or his cohorts don’t swap any labels on your envelope and bag themselves another bargain….

Teh cynic-al seal of approval? Awsumz 😀

What more could you want by way of recommendation than the seal of approval from one of STW’s biggest hitters? :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

STW’s Biggest Hitter, thanks.

TheSanityAssassin

For info: the website ( CLICK HERE ) is now back online and the entry form once again available.

Apologies to those that have phoned me about the issue this week, but the bill-payer has now got his arse in gear and parted with the appropriate fee 😳

Please get your forms sent off asap if you’re planning to attend as it really does help those that are organising the event.

TheSanityAssassin

Lovely sunny day here on the crest of the Pennines – get your entry forms in the post and come and see for yourselves on Sunday 13th May.

sefton
    Free Member

Mines in the post today!

TheSanityAssassin

Just a fortnight to go, so don’t forget to get those entry forms in the post.

At just a quid a go, it’ll be worth entering for the bacon butties alone!!

TheSanityAssassin

The trails are holding up surprisingly well if tonight’s evidence is anything to go by – so get those entry forms in the post and beat the queues on the day.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hopefully getting my entry in tomorrow.

Is it a full knobblies tyre thing, or will some thing a bit more racey like this work well (biblical rain storms with standing..) My other option is the day to day Nobby Nics 2.25’s that I normally run.

TheSanityAssassin

The fastest times posted are usually in the region of 2h 10m, so most of the riders will be on full-on race tyres (mebbes semi-slicks for some). Most of the trails are hardpack so mud isn’t really an issue. My personal preference for all the local challenge rides is for rock-hard tyre pressure and complete faith in my ability to keep the bike upright when the going gets sketchy. I’m in no danger of challenging for the virtual podium, but I’m generally top 20-25. If I were able to take part I’d be on Schwalbe Black Jack 1.9s if it stays damp, or probably Maxxis Larsen TTs on baked hard trails. In other words, I’d be minimising the rolling resistance as much as possible within my budget. Hope this helps fella, and please come and say hello on the day – I’ll be the big, ugly, shaven-headed bugger setting you all off!!

TheSanityAssassin

Oh, and still plenty of time to get those forms in the post. Come on, don’t be shy, the more the merrier!! 😀

marsdenman
    Free Member

Chq went on the post on Thursday…

I’ll mostly be bimbling around on Nobby Nic’s…. aiming for my usual spot in / around the last 20 / 25 to get back to base 🙂

TheSanityAssassin

marsdenman – your order has been despatched 🙂

Lovely dry day here again today – stop hmmm-ing and ahhh-ing and get those forms in the post. I turn them round as soon as they land, so there’s every chance you’ll get your saes back in time. I’ll even text you your number if there’s any doubt!!

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Any one got a map or .gpx for this course?

TheSanityAssassin

fluxhutchinson – you’ll get a map by return, once you’ve entered. Get your form in the post – what’ve you got to lose?

TheSanityAssassin

Well I’ve been out in the pi$$ing rain, armed with a strimmer, all evening preparing the quarry approach ready for Sunday.

The ‘Mound of Mild Apprehension’ has had a short back and sides, and the alternative way into the quarry proper has now become the ‘Broken Wall of Piqued Interest’. There’s just the ‘Chute of Barely Concealed Indifference’ to give its annual makeover to on Saturday afternoon and then it’s all systems go!!!

Still time for postal applications (or to call round in person if you’re local), but don’t forget that you can always turn up on the day because WE NEVER TURN ANYONE AWAY. If you turn up on time you’re in!!

TheSanityAssassin

TURN UP ON TIME AND YOU’RE IN!!!!

Please get here early with an already completed entry form and your £20 cash and it’ll all run like clockwork.

Free SIS goody bag for the first 300 to check in!!

sefton
    Free Member

new tires in the post ready for sunday! looking forward to this one

Stevo210
    Free Member

Mr Assassin, you did a great job of that grassy mound. It was me and Jimmy that interrupted you while getting in some sneaky training on Wednesday. By the time we got home I had to hose myself down before I dare enter the house it was some epic downpour.

Just to throw in my pennith on the tyre choice. My mud tyre is staying on the bike 🙁

See you Sunday everyone.

mos

Just looked on the website but cant find a route map?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I asked the same question and they do not give out a route map until entry is confirmed as the event runs over private land in places. Fair enough really.

Hopefully my confirmation and map will be in the post when I get home… mind you not sure I want to know the route in advance 😯

Stevo210
    Free Member

mind you not sure I want to know the route in advance

Pack your climbing legs, its mostly up!

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Late entry here – well entry on day, My son has talked me into doin it with him, just need Big Al to fettle me bike in time!

He’ll do it —- unfortunately 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

with regards to the drink stations – will these simply be people give free drinks out or are they designated places for support crew?

just deciding if I need my hydration pack?

fozzyuk

Free SIS goody bag for the first 300 to check in!!

I assume mine is prebooked as I prepaid 😉

Seriously do we need to do something re check in when we have pre paid ?

TheSanityAssassin

If you’ve pre-entered then you need to check-in to pick up your bike number and a couple of zip-ties to fix it on with. Having your number clearly displayed will help when checking through the photographer’s website next week 😀

You’ll also receive your free goody bag at that point too.

All the feed stations will have SIS electrolyte drink, bananas and a selection of biscuits available for those that wish to partake. If you feel the need for a ‘support crew’ then a hefty dose of MTFU is probably required 😉 as the really quick guys manage just over a couple of hours with their own bottles….

I’ll be following the back-markers round in a pick-up truck and will be on call to collect any injuries, mechanicals or just plain knackereds as and when necessary.

Don’t forget to come and say hello if you see me – big, ugly fecker with a shaved noggin – it’ll be me that starts you off on your journey into the darkest recesses of pain…. :mrgreen:

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

looking forward to my return to CVMBC after a couple of years way – due to an avertion to pain and discomfort – I’ll be the slow one on a yeti – say hi has you pass

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2012’ is closed to new replies.