Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Christian teacher loses job
  • mudshark
    Free Member

So should she lose her job? I'd like to think that I'd have better things to do that to make a complaint about this but how can anyone be happy with someone losing their job over it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6850604/Christian-teacher-sacked-for-offering-to-pray-for-sick-pupil.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

She was told the mother had complained that both she and her daughter were distressed by her testimony about miracles and her offer of saying a prayer. As a result they no longer wanted her as a tutor in their home.

Imagine you are dying of a non curable disease and a happy clappy tells you about Gods love and that prayer can save you which lets be honest is a fairly dubious claim that does not really stand up to serious investigation. She was a maths teacher WTF did what she was saying have to do with her job of teahing Maths?
    She should have left her personal opinion at the front door.

Does seem a tad harsh mind to sack her a warning would surely have sufficed.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's about time these people were told to keep their fariy stories to themselves. I doubt very much that a non – christian woman would have had the same treatment though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oh FFS when's it going to stop. So are they going to sue churches that ring their bells or Mosques that call to prayer from the minorets.
    So they'll never attend a funeral or wedding.
    Can you say 'bless you' when someone sneezes or will a fat oaf in a stalled Hummer come along and blow my head off.

nickc

The teacher's case mirrors that of community nurse Caroline Petrie, who was suspended last December after offering to pray for a patient. She was later reinstated following a national outcry.

The pair are friends and live close to each other in Somerset.

Hmmmm, more to this than first meets the eye methinks…She has a close friend who was at the centre of exactly the same media circus, and goes ahead and does the same thing, to predictably the same sort of media coverage, which makes me wonder who and how the media were alerted to this?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Since Mrs Jones worked only 12 hours a week and had no formal contract, her job with the North Somerset Tuition Service in Nailsea, near Bristol, ended with immediate effect.

I hadn't realised that she was a private tutor employed on a casual basis. It's not quite the same as a classroom teaching position in a state school.

Personally, I'd just say "thanks, but I'm not a believer" and leave it at that. If she persisted I may have complained.

Members of my family are involved in the church/clergy. They know that I have no religious faith and don't try to convert me.

hainey
    Free Member

I usually go off on a big rant about religion and how nothing good comes from it blah blah blah. But seriously, this is OTT. So she wanted to pray for someone, well thats nice. Let her do what she wants to do, its not hurting anyone.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Is this a case of:

" Is it because I am the only Christian in the village?"

joolsburger
    Free Member

I am not a fan of religion as some of you know however it seems to me that picking on a chrstian is like booting a puppy. I doubt if she had been jewish, muslim or something else she would have been sacked.

It's political correctness etc etc.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Godbotherer they all think because they believe in god and divine intervention that they are doing you a favor, why do they have to pedal their beliefs at any given opportunity, she was told about her preaching before if she is to stupid to adehere to those warnings then she only has herself to blame. She should stick to teaching her chosen subject and not the bible.

DrJ

Well, she is obviously an idiot for not keeping to her job, and the family are obviously within their rights to not employ anyone they don't want to; but it seems a bit of a daft over-reaction for the agency to sack her because of it – surely it would have been enough to tell her that she should stick to her job in future.

mudshark
    Free Member

I suppose it depends to a degree on what actually happened in the house but it's hard to imagine her aggressively forcing her beliefs onto the family – so I imagine she just brought it up and it seems a shame that we have to watch what we say so much in case someone's offended. Would this be the same if someone at my office offered to pray for someone else at work who was ill?

Or does it have to be their official role? I mean you couldn't complain about a priest offering prayer could you? Object, perhaps, but not lodge an official complaint. Many priests see it as their business to visit people in their parish and offer assistance to those that might need it.

brakes
    Free Member

it's none of these things
    it's just the media soiling itself over any old story and then smearing the results on a bit of paper for the public to lap up

oldgit
    Free Member

Lets face it someone coming into work with garlic breath is more offensive.

BillMC

I've known of quite a few instances of Christian parents complaining to schools when something's been said in the classroom that they don't like. I'm sure they'd go further if they thought they could get away with it. This is not a sacking 'based on belief', what has praying got to do with GCSE maths? It's someone making an unsolicited and irrational assertion of their superstitions. On the other hand, if it worked we could pack up teaching kids and just get on our knees. Think of the savings! (sic)

mudshark
    Free Member

BillMC – if she said that the girl would go to hell if she died so she'd better start praying then I'd agree with you.

oldgit
    Free Member

Can you actually be offended by something you don't believe in? i.e the words of a Christian are just harmless noise. I could understand if they held another religion.

Andituk
    Free Member

Surely if you don't believe then it doesn't affect you in any way at all? Its just someone saying some nice words on your behalf.

Its just like telling someone you're thinking of them or something, how can that be offensive?

oldgit
    Free Member

It is potty.
    Just look at how many kids the story of Santa coming down the chimney and into your room, backfires on. No one ever got fired for telling Christmas stories that kept kids up all night wetting their beds.

mudshark
    Free Member

Some kids are scared of Santa?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah, have you not heard of that? Just the bit about coming into the room at night.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can you actually be offended by something you don't believe in?

Can we send Dawkins round her house to tell her kids about how stupid their parents belief system is and she can let us know if she objects?

mudshark
    Free Member

No! Though I remember being confused as to how he knew I'd gone to my Gran's….

hora
    Free Member

They sacked her because shes ugly?

mudshark
    Free Member

Can we send Dawkins round her house to tell her kids about how stupid their parents belief system is and she can let us know if she objects?

That's not exactly the same thing now it it…?!

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are fairly similar as in one we have an atheist talking to a christian and in the other we have a christian talking to an atheist.

Either way the point is you can be offended by views you don’t share as I am sure an atheist could offend the teacher with our views on homosexuality, contraception , sex before marriage , how silly their world view is etc.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

She can still pray for re-instatement. If she's a true believer, I'm sure some greater power will step in and she'll get her job back in no time…

freddyg
    Free Member

Some kids are scared of Santa?

Yup. My 6 year old niece is absolutely terrified at the thought of some bloke going in to her bedroom while she's sleeping. Even when her mum explained that it was to leave pressies, she still asked if mum could tell santa to leave the presents on the landing.

mudshark
    Free Member

They are fairly similar

I'm not sure what the atheist equivalent of praying is but if Dawkins offered to do that then that's similar to what she did – she didn't comment negatively, and not strongly, on the family's non-believe

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but I guess they did not start the converstaion about praying and miracles did they? If you are dying and someone talks to you about miracles- which are BS- that may well be offensive as shown by the fact they complained.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Seems like an overreaction to have her booted, but it's a bit rich to claim she's the victim of some sort of religious persecution.

Only she and the family know whether she just mentioned it in passing or maybe was a bit more persistent, but I could see how the family might start wondering whether she'd start offering her Christian views again in future and that's not what they were paying her for.

surfer
    Free Member

I'm an atheist (it may come as a surprise to some on here!) and I would not be offended!

Andituk
    Free Member

that may well be offensive

How can it be offensive? If you don't believe then it won't happen and praying won't do anything, so you're in the same situation as before? How is that offensive? She didn't walk in and piss on her kids or anything..

BigDummy
    Free Member

This seems a trifle intolerant to me. If people want to pray for me they are very welcome to. I cannot reciprocate as I do not believe and do not pray, and I am unclear that their prayer achieves anything in any measurable or remotely objective way, but I can't see that it is offensive in any sense. If they were praying that I be set upon by a plague of newts or whatever then I might be less relaxed I suppose.

joemarshall
    Free Member

In the article she suggests that she 'just offered to pray for them', but then also mentions that she gave 'testimony of miracles' as well, so obviously she did actually say more than just 'I'll pray for you'.

So it is very hard to know how much she said, and obviously someone writing in the Telegraph has an agenda to push the particular version of the story that fits their agenda (i.e. woman is sacked for her beliefs).

Now, there are some evangelicals who will do things like push themselves on people with cancer, saying that if you believe you'd get better (a miracle would happen). Which kind of has an implicit meaning that the cancer is something to do with not believing in god, a punishment or something.

I imagine the truth was somewhere in between the extremes, but she said enough to offend them, otherwise she'd not have got the sack over it.

Joe

funkynick

I have a feeling if it was just a little praying then I doubt there would have been such a reaction… I think the bit where she said 'testimony about miracles' reveals more about how the conversation was more likely to go.

Besides, the piece is all written from one side as the family haven't commented, so I daresay it's biased in the teachers favour somewhat.

EDIT: Darn it… way too slow typing that one up as Joe has said almost exactly the same thing too!

zaskar
    Free Member

Keep to the subject and enjoy the work etc but values and ethics need to be kept away-only so the parents don't sue.

I wonder if you didn't say anything at all and just taught math, would they complain she wasn't compasionate?

I don't think she should be sacked and typical parents saying nothing till she has gone, why didn't they just say no straight away?

No tolerance?

porterclough
    Free Member

zaskar – let's assume your child is dying and some nutter tells her that she is going to hell for eternity unless she repents and lets Jesus into her heart, and that that upsets the child as she doesn't want to go to hell for all eternity. Are you saying you wouldn't be a little upset by that?

As others have said, there's probably more to this than that report says.

Was she praying for the sick, or preying on the sick?

Northwind

She isn't being penalised for being a christian, which is important- as long as she kept her beliefs to herself she was fine, but the family weren't happy with having her beliefs become part of the schooling. Now, whether you've got an issue with that is another thing but the suggestion that it's religious persecution is just total gibberis and should be treated as such.

jonnymojo
    Free Member

I would suspect there's more to the story. Would they really sack her if she was a valuable asset to the school? She was probally a religous nutcase and this was their oppurtunity to get rid of her. And isn't it convenient that she is mates with the nurse who got sacked for the same thing? They're obviously looking for publicity for their cause.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Christian teacher loses job’ is closed to new replies.