Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Chinese carbon road bikes with discs… like wot clubber has got.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Browsing the disc brake road bike thread earlier today and saw a pic of clubber’s carbon road bike with discs. Anyone else running a frame like this? If so, what do you reckon? What do you use it for?

Cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

Loads of people over at mtbr.com – that’s where I researched it.

(any excuse 😉 )

trickydisco
    Free Member

I believe clubbers is one of the chinese Cyclocross bikes (he’s just running road tyres on) probably fm059?

something similar to this

great paintjob

clubber
    Free Member

MC098 or AC098 from Miracle / Ican on aliexpress.

flange
    Free Member

Clubber – did you have any issues when building it up? Is it a press fit BB?

clubber
    Free Member

BB86 so yes, press fit which was fine.

My original frame had a slightly tight seat for the lower headset bearing. Fitting the internal cabling was a pain but that’s largely the norm for internal cables.

Other than that, it was very straightforward to build.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Very nice! Do like the black/green paint job up there as well.

Is it a ‘cross frame (no, it’s flippin’ furious)?

I’m looking to build something for a fast (as I can) 100 mile plus, road ride. Wouldn’t I be compromising too much using a cross frame? Wouldn’t think twice about using one for a sunday bike though, it looks spot on.

flange
    Free Member

Mike Hall used a Dirty Disco (cx frame) for his ride around the world and apart from needing a slightly slacker seat angle he said it was up to the job. If he can manage 18k miles, I’m sure you’ll be fine on 100 milers…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good point well made. I just wondered if a CX frame might be a bit harsh for a long ride. Guess some people’s idea of a long ride is different from others!

clubber
    Free Member

It’s great on the road. If I only used it on the road I would probably have gone a size up and would fit a longer, slightly lower stem but that’s just my build.

Really what’s the difference between a road and cx bike? Degree of angle and slightly shorter top tube. The distinctions are getting blurred.

clubber
    Free Member

Btw there’s nothing harsh about this frame.

flange
    Free Member

Very much so, and whilst I pointed to Mr hall as an example, he is also a)nuts and b)nails.

It’s all a bit of a mindset though, especially for 100 milers – you can over think things thinking you need the latest and greatest when really you’d get buy on a cheaper road bike if needed.

Me personally whilst I can see the advantages of discs (I’ve got a disc braked roadbike for touring), until they become a bit more mainstream I’d be looking at a decent carbon road bike for fast centuries. Or if you’re minted

They do a disc version of this for a bit more than £10k

BadlyWiredDog

I’m looking to build something for a fast (as I can) 100 mile plus, road ride. Wouldn’t I be compromising too much using a cross frame? Wouldn’t think twice about using one for a sunday bike though, it looks spot on.

I think it’s been said before, but 100 miles on a road bike, particularly non-hilly miles, is very doable, you just need to keep eating and drinking and turning the pedals over. If you wanted to, you could happily use a cross bike, maybe with a flipped stem, with slicks on. You’re not riding in the Olympics or anything are you?

Mostly I don’t think you really need discs on the road. They might be nice in the wet, occasionally, though decent pads like Swisstop Greens and Koolstop work fine ime using standard road brakes.

If I were you, I’d buy a standard issue road bike from a proven brand like Giant, Trek, Spesh etc. Spend around a grand and you’ll get something eminently decent. If you find you love riding on the road, you can always upgrade to something ‘nicer’ when you have a firmer idea of what you want.

Mostly what’ll get you through your 100 mile ride will be putting in regular miles in preparation and the right nutrition and hydration, pretty much any bike from entry level upwards will get you round just fine.

As a slightly oblique parallel, I rode the second half of a 24-hour solo on a Blur 4x in the summer, I guess if I were looking for a podium spot it would have been an issue, but for a slow old git who just wanted to finish and have some fun along the way, it was great. I guess I’m saying that if you fancy a no-name Chinese disc-braked cross bike, it’ll do the job, but the safe option would be a competent road bike from an established brand.

And then you can stop window shopping and go riding 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hear what you’re saying and I’m also looking at the madone and domane as well. It’s a personal thing I know, but I’m really sold on disc brakes. My current commuter (kinesis Tripster) is fitted with hope e4 brakes running off drop levers and I really like the braking.

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah I know what you mean, I have BB7s on my cross bike and they’re predictable and reliable and all that, but the Campag brakes on my roadie with Swissstop Greens fitted are fine, handled the Alps in the summer no problem and wanting to spec disc brakes really does limit your choice of road frames.

But like I said above, you could use pretty much anything within reason and it’ll be fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You might be right. Perhaps the way forward is a nice Madone (or Domane), then I can jump on the disc brake bandwagon with the mkII or III stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe I could get one of those ‘cross frame to transplant my Tripster onto.

fishyfish
    Free Member

Clubber,

Is that a 58cm frameset? I’m thinking about getting the same one. Is the fit and feel close to the Altamira? Months have passed since this post was started – how’s the frame? Still going strong? Any issues?

clubber
    Free Member

Just spotted this. Yes, it’s a 58cm. As far as I recall the geometry (and in theory build) is the same as the Altamira.

It’s still going strong. In fact, I gave it a right hammering yesterday 🙂 It hammered me back mind – threw me OTB 😕

Feel free to drop me an email if you want to discuss or just do it on here

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I rode the LEL on a ti On One cross bike last year, 875 miles of it.
    Its unbelievably comfortable, not heavy and disc brakes are ace when riding down Yad Moss in the rain in the middle of the night after being in the saddle for 20 hours.

Also, went out yesterday for a “quick” 50-miler and was very happy to have discs when I was riding through an inch of snow and slush on the descent to Allenheads from Coalcleugh.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hong Fu FM-166 is a proper carbon road disc frame. I’ve just built one up. It’s ace.

001 by reggiegasket, on Flickr

clubber
    Free Member

How’s it different from a CX frame out of interest? Looks nice though – very traditional looking for a Chinese carbon frame – round/oval tubes (or maybe it’s just the pic)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Agreed, that does look nice.
    ir_bandito, what size tinbred is yours, and how tall are you?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

road geo so shorter chainstays, steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase, lower BB (although CX frames are pretty close to road in this respect these days). And minor things like the braze on clamp only drops to a minimum effective outer chainring size of 48t. 46t wouldn’t work.
    Frame is a Cervelo lookilikey, so squoval tubes and skinny seatstays.

clubber
    Free Member

It was kind of a rhetorical question – I know the differences but they’re getting very blurred and for example, whileq my favorite road bike is still my bianchi, the carbon ‘cx’ bike above rides better on the road (with road tyres and flipped stem) than other proper road bikes I’ve had.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its 52cm seat-tube, 54cm top-tube according to my measuring tape. I’m 6’1″ or so, but with disproportionatly long legs, and shorter torso/arms, hence needing a frame with a shortish top-tube. Which means a too-small seat-tube and lots of seatpost showing.
    Still, gives plenty of space for the rear light under the seat-pack.
    Now sporting a longer/lower (slammed) stem.

One day I’ll get a custom frame with a 56cm ST and a 54cm TT.

fishyfish
    Free Member

Clubber,

Thanks for answering my questions. I just sent you an email with some more.

Thanks!

globalti
    Free Member

This is one of the most interesting threads so far this year on STW.

Shred
    Free Member

Do any of those come with mud guard mounts to be able to take full length guards?

I would love to upgrade to a disc bike, but I would want it to be able to take proper guards.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have been pondering the LT Bikes LTK115-D – a bit like the Hong Fu FM166 above. I’m concerned it comes with an aero seatpost which might limit you to the manufacturers seatposts – I don’t think aero posts have been standardized yet. $405 for frame, fork and post. $90 shipping.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s definitely a risk Mowgli – maybe buy a spare post with the frame?

Shred – no mudguard mounts on mine. I just use raceblades as I always have, even on bikes with mounts – for me, they work near enough just as well that I’ve never really seen the point of full guards (though since i use mine as a CX and road bike, being able to take them off easily is a big plus).

fishy – will email you back.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Seatpost is confirmed as frame-specific 🙁 But spare one is only $35 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve been buying direct from China for a few years, frames, parts, wheels. Have had no issues whatsoever.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Use this one as a cross/winter/training/do everything bike. It has the mounts for mudguards on the fork, chainstay and seat stay bridges but not on the actual stays and forks.

I just bought some adaptors the stays bolt onto and they go through the quick releases. A wee bit of a faff getting the wheels on and off.

It is an IPlay IP-105D.

With

IMG_20131118_121243_156-1 by spangel great, on Flickr

Without

IMG_20131118_093328_737 by spangel great, on Flickr

Regards

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have one of those black and green ones from above as a flat bar road thing with 29er wheels on 35c tyres cyclocross drivetrain and elixir 9 brakes etc etc comes up at 9.2kg with flat pedals on and is bloody lush. built it for about £800 mainly from china but it took ages
    i can keep up with my mates road bike to 40mph, it grips well through mud and is comfy for all day even on bad roads. ive also ridden it over a rough stony disused canal path and although it wouldve been better on my hardtail, it didnt feel like it would fall apart.
    im very happy with it
    the brakes are overkill, however for me disk brakes mean i dont have problems with rim wear, mud clogging, or buckles not letting me get home

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the black and green one for a chap to buy? Hoping to be able to get on the CX band wagon in the near future. Ta.

Bregante

Like this one?

vincienup
    Free Member

I looked at AliBaba a while ago when looking for something online.

It looks like it’s geared up so small dealers but small amounts and sell on locally as opposed to individuals buying single items. Have I just put my finger on a common eBay model by any chance? Say, but 5 and sell four, keep one?

How else would you buy such a frame? Find someone selling their surpluses on eBay? Or are there Web outlets got individual frames? Silly question, haven’t really looked, just asking as interested…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Hey spanielsaregreat, on the previous page what’s the tiny under seat pack you’ve got on the bike in one of the shots? I’m after something exactly like that…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

vincienup – Member

I looked at AliBaba a while ago when looking for something online.

It looks like it’s geared up so small dealers but small amounts and sell on locally as opposed to individuals buying single items. Have I just put my finger on a common eBay model by any chance? Say, but 5 and sell four, keep one?

How else would you buy such a frame? Find someone selling their surpluses on eBay? Or are there Web outlets got individual frames? Silly question, haven’t really looked, just asking as interested…

Try talking to them and see what they say….

Most will sell individual items.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon road bikes with discs… like wot clubber has got.’ is closed to new replies.