Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Challenges your toughest?
  • Drac

Yesterday a group of NHS Staff from Northumberland Health Care Trust and North East Ambulance completed a 100Km charity walk in less than 30 hrs. It was the most physical, emotional and mentally challenge I’ve ever done. My legs were and still are in pain, my feet are tender but thanks to good shoes not too bad. I’m still shattered despite about 7 hours sleep but it was worth it.

What’s the toughest challenge you have done?

And of course if you’re feeling generous.

You can donate still to ‘Education centre for children with Down syndrome’

https://www.justgiving.com/Calendar-Lads

Spin
    Free Member

I’m still shattered despite about 7 hours sleep but it was worth it.

Good effort, it’ll probably take more than a week to recover from that.

As for toughest challenges, I did the Glencoe Skyline 2 weeks ago and could still feel it in my legs at the Ben Nevis race yesterday.

Drac

I work shifts so the lack of sleep isn’t an issue but the physical part will be, work tomorrow will be interesting.

Spin
    Free Member

work tomorrow will be interesting.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I[/video]

Drac

Hahaha! That’s about right. Certainly last night I could hardly walk into the kitchen as I had to lift my left leg by hand each time.

loddrik
    Free Member

My wife is making me strip the hall and landing tomorrow. I’ve been putting it off for two years. It’s going to be bloody hard work, not something I’m known for…

mogrim

The 113km ultra I did in June, with a whole load of mountains to go up and down – did it in 19 hours, very pleased with the result. And yes, the next couple of days are… interesting. It helps to keep moving, and don’t forget Compeed are great for blisters! (Although this time I didn’t get any, result!)

bensales
    Free Member

“What’s the toughest challenge you have done?”

Being a parent. My ultras are a piece of piss compared to that.

Travis

“What’s the toughest challenge you have done?”

Being a parent. My ultras are a piece of piss compared to that.

That

wors

Trying to teach a load of 9 year old lads to Ruck and Maul this morning!!!!

Drac

Compeed are great for blisters!

I have 2. One on my heel and one of the ball of my foot. 😀

As the walk was with NHS staff the compeed was applied as soon as I developed a heat spot.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve imposed an 18-month new bike ban on myself, the first year was alright but it’s starting to get pretty tough now the sales are on.

Was the 100km on pavement or footpaths?

Drac

Was the 100km on pavement or footpaths?

Very much a mixture in order to get 100Km from the start point to the end.

racefaceec90

well done drac 😀

the most i have ever walked it a 12 mile sponsored walk at secondary school.

i have walked since then but my legs always feel really stiff the next day.

fair play to you sir.

Drac

Cheers.

I’ve always done a spot of walking since I was young and recent years have done more and more of it. I still rarely do a big walk , usually it’s about 4 or 5 miles around 2 maybe 3 times a week maximum. Even then it’s not every week.

It’s amazing what your body can do if you push through it. I wasn’t sure I was around for the event until a week or two before and even then was thinking I’d do half. However, my normal stubborn and determined self kicked in when I got to the start point and thought I’d just do the lot.

chakaping
    Free Member

respect is due – donated

come on folks, put your hands in your pockets

weeksy

Sdw overnight on MTB. Just damn damn hard

Northwind

I think, my second endurance downhill. First one I was pretty cautious, only did 8 laps and was pretty happy with that on the little bike- still a long hard day when you don’t know what you’re doing. Second one I had a dh bike for, and decided to have a proper go, there’s a definite point after the skin starts properly rubbing off, where it gets a bit harder to get back in the gondola 😆 But then you start to lose your mind a bit and it’s all easier after that.

Drac

respect is due – donated

Thanks.

But then you start to lose your mind a bit and it’s all easier after that.

Sonds about right.

It’s great thing to do though pushing ourselves, it’s an experience I’ll never forget.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice work.

As for this…

It was the most physical, emotional and mentally challenge I’ve ever done.

Whoever said having kids / being a parent is spot on.

onehundredthidiot

Nijmegen marches as part of British military contingent. The 10kg of dead weight (sand) was a brutal addition.

Drac

Yeah that’s a bit too far.

Whoever said having kids / being a parent is spot on.

Having kids is a pleasure not a challenge.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s both 🙂

Drac

Yup it can be challenging.

Spin
    Free Member

Whoever said having kids / being a parent is spot on has missed the point entirely

FTFY

Drac

😉

duncancallum

I’ve done the 50k civvy nijemagen 3 times that was hard. Though the beers helped.

Biggest for me is buying a full bounce bike whilst still on crutches after getting my hip replacement following a mtb accident. The first ride was challenging as I didn’t know if I’d have the bottle or the strength

I’ve still not got either but it’s improved….

brakes
    Free Member

drinking 3 pints of Ayingerbrau D. Pils in 33 minutes and keeping it down.

Bregante

Getting my legs working again after 7 months with Guillain-barre Syndrome.

lunge

I’ve just finished the Manchester to London bike ride, 225 miles. It was astonishingly hard.

blader1611
    Free Member

First physio session on my knee after big surgery and not using that leg for anything including standing for nearly 6 months. Hamstring had become so short i was 35 degrees from straight so she set to work stretching it. First stretch hurt so bad i swore out very loudly in a gym full of ladies and children. The challenge was not to repeat my words a minute after when the second stretch happened so i just cried/winced in pain. Luckily another year in physio rehab and all is good. Sorry to those ladies and children for my language!

Well done drac.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well done Drac, great effort 😀

My toughest was last years Raphas Manchester to London in aid of Autism.
    I stupidly got embroiled in a fast group full of bravado and better legs.. I cracked after exiting the Peak District and took another hour to recover at my own pace until I felt better again.. and the roads became more rolling rather than hills.
    Still managed under 13hrs, just. Fast lads in under 12.. gits.

I (re)learned a lesson long since forgotten on that day.

😕

digger95
    Free Member

With physical challenges its having belief in yourself and then determination not to give up when it gets tougher than its ever been before. Kudos to you Drac for doing that with your 100km walk.

All these sorts of challenges stay with you and doing your first one is the one which takes bravery, as the saying goes the hardest part is getting to the start line. The toughness is all relative to your experience/conditioning vs the challenge in question.

I did ToughGuy in 2010 and have been a challenge-junky since, I’d recommend both parenting and Adventure Racing to any STWers as hugely rewarding challenges. http://www.itera.ie/

Drac

Thanks all.

Some great stuff their with personal achievements after accidents too.

Yeah it’s something I’ll remember always had already hoping they do another big challenge next year. I can walk Ok today but still have knotted muscles.

scotroutes

Words order right getting the in

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well done OP!

For me it was getting back on the bike after a crash a couple of years ago, it took 9-10 months all told, the physical stuff was very painful for a long time, but easy, it was the Medics and my Family telling me I couldn’t do it because it would hurt that was the hardest. It does hurt sometimes, but not much, so sod it.

Drac

Hard grit and determination will get you through it, well done

Words order right getting the in

Thanks for your story. My dyslexia is one challenge of not beaten but certainly winning with.

willard

Good work Drac, a fine effort! 100km is a bloody long way to walk and sleeping during that is not something I would like to do.

I’m not sure that I have ever done anything as challenging really. I’d planned to do an ultra, but got injured and couldn’t start it. I applied to do the London Marathon twice, but never got a place. Now I’m just too injured to run any distance!

Still, the next big challenge will be kid(s).

molgrips
    Free Member

Good work, will donate shortly.

I did Trans Cambrian way in a day, 103 miles, 3500m climbing, carrying and pushing involved. 15 hours all in. The last 3-4 hours my arse was raw, and I couldn’t sit down so had to do most of it standing up.

Drac

Thanks!

Willard it’s never too late. I’m 42 rarely ride these days and have metal work in my right hip.

Excellent Molgrips and thanks for the donation.

There’s a Facebook page showing the reasons why and how some have suffered.

https://www.facebook.com/AEcalendarlads

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Challenges your toughest?’ is closed to new replies.