Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cash Converters and the like
  • nbt

Anyone used Cash Converters or similar – for buying rather than selling, that is?

I’m looking for a small reasonable quality cd receiver for the lounge, something like the Denon DM38 or the TEAC CRH248, which are 150-200 at richer sounds. Wandering through town one lunchtime last week (new job, new town so familiarising myself with the facilities) I noticed a couple in the windows of such places, some older stuff but at least one DM38. I’m a tad hesitant though as ‘d be wary about a) warranty and b) the possibility of buying something that’s stolen

any experiences? If they’re good places to buy from, do they haggle on price or is it sticker price only?

supertramp
    Free Member

Whenever I have looked in there they seem very expensive, considering they are just fencing stolen gear. 😉

nbt

thus neatly covering my two worries 😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d hit ebay first.

5lab

yeah its just like ebay but with a tax because you’re too stupid\scared to use the internet, surely?

chrissyboy
    Free Member

I don’t know – when my ancient Toshiba amp went pop I looked around on EBay and the like, and everything I thought was 1/2 decent was around £60 + £15 to move it. Popped into the local crack converter and found a posher (slightly) newer version of my old one for £30. Still going strong 2 years later….

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve found their pricing pretty random. Some stuff is way over priced but there are some bargains to be had. You usually get a very limited warranty, maybe 2 weeks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have got bargains from my local cash converters

duckman

Aye, but yours is in Morningside TJ 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Leith old chap – sunny leith

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t say I’ve studied CC extensively any time I’ve checked stuff out there it’s seemed expensive

mieszko
    Free Member

With CC the issue for me is the very short warranty. The random pricing can work in your favour.

My friend bought a bike from there some time ago it was a good price but not a bargain. She asked them if they had any papers for it, but they just said that the receipt from them is good enough and the bike will be legally hers. Don’t remember exactly how the transfer of ownership went but there is a lawyer on the forum 🙂

As for haggling, she managed to get £50 off a £550 bike as the cassette was loose and there was a lockout lever missing on the shock. So some movement on the price is possible.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TItle to property can be passed by the owner, so if something is stolen it remains the property of its owner.

I Guess this is overridden if insurance pays out, Police auctions etc.

Dunno if things are the same in Englandshire.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Its all nicked innit.

benz
    Free Member

Mate got a mint 2009 Rockhopper Pro for £250 from our local one.

Seems what they buy for and what they sell for still means a decent margin…..and some folks could legitimately be strapped for cash.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

MrNutt got his bike from Cash Converters.

He got his riding skilz dem from Age Concern.

Moses

My local one had a very nice 2010 Spesh “Langster” for sale at only £300 recently, except that it had a steel (not ali) frame in the wrong colour, steel forks instead of carbon, and a quill stem. Oh, and the dropouts were vertical, not trackends.

I reckon it was a 1980s conversion with a nice transfer.
    😯

simondbarnes

Moses, was it one of these by any chance?

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21786

nbt

TBH this is kind of what I was expecting. Any other suggestions apart from Ebay? Anyone got something not being used they’re looking to sell?

richpips
    Free Member

If you’re not in a rush get one from ebay. Sort by nearest, and check you can collect, and see it working first. Bought loads of electrics that way.

Northwind

I’ve had some good buys- badly undervalued guitar kit mostly. Sometimes some very nice tools. But mostly it’s a waste of time.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

As northwind says, for badly undervalued guitar kit,they’re a goldmine, but that’s the only stuff I ever get from them.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Elfinsafety works in cash converters, well I say “works in” what I really mean is “offers a range of services” under the overhang of the rear fire escape. (Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays 11:00am to 3:00am, STW member discount scheme available)

RustyMac

I have an onkyo cr 515 reciever and am well impressed, have you noticed this auction on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Onkyo-CS435-CD-Dab-Fm-Hifi-system-No-Reserve-/170673235853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bceae78d

don’t know if it’ll be exactly what your looking for but i’d hope it would come in within your budget.

Waderider
    Free Member

Using cash converters support crime I reckon. I’ve no scientific evidence, but you’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.

racefaceec90

i remember picking up a gamecube with 4 controllers and leads for £15! from cc 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Use cash converters support crime I reckon. I’ve no scientific evidence, but you’re either part of the problem or part of the solution.

Cash Coverters were brilliant when a friend had her bike nicked – they got ID from the thief which they passed on to the police, and gave my friend her bike back.

Sadly, the police didn’t give a flying one.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Cash converters – turning TVs into heroin since 1992.

toys19
    Free Member

A friend was burgled, she reported to the police, and insurance. Police advised her to check local 2nd hand shops. She found said items in CC. Called Police who after discussion with CC manager allowed her to buy items back at the same price he paid for them and the coppers would not log any of it and allow her to capitalise on insurance.

This sounds exactly like the cosy arrangement between the met and the NOTW..

uwe-r
    Free Member

When considering using cash converters you need to factor in the potential embarrassment of being spotted in one.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive always found their guitars resonably priced.

nbt

rusty mac, thats the kind of thing I’m looking for, cheers

uwe-r
    Free Member

I got a good deal on a guitar amp but the experience left me feeling like i needed a shower.

And the ‘customer service’ is of the lowest order possible.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I saw a Kona Kula for sale for £250 in the Manchester one on Oldham Street. Its forks were on backwards… should have bought it really.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cash Converters and the like’ is closed to new replies.