Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Carbon Frames and roof carriers – yes or no ?
  • iainc

so all the Tour bikes are carbon and go on roof carriers. Is a modern carbon frame likely to get crush damage in a Thule 591 carrier ? (road bike, but presume no different for mtb)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve taken mine in a roof carrier for the last 2 and a half years and its been fine. The only damage I’ve had is I wore a flat spot on the front tyre from where it was wobbling.

So long as you dont over clamp them, I cant see the problem?

Edit: And its a 591 we used

garage-dweller

I nearly crushed a mates s works epic once in a Halfords one. That was a while back and a cheap rack.

Saw a carbon 456 on a rack the other day so must be possible.

philstone

I’ve just got back from a drive from poole to devon and back with my 456c on a 591 – no problems at all 🙂

cookeaa

Crushing the frame would surely be user error not the fault of the carrier..

But roof carriers are toss when it comes to fuel ecconomy so hang it off the arse end anyway just to be sure…

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/your-questions_4.html

interesting view from carbon repair people

iainc

from the carbon repair link :

Dont clamp your pride and joy that has probably cost close to three months wages to your roof rack by the down tube even if it is gently holding it, Carbon frames are not designed to be held my there and have 70mph wind drag around it on a motorway..IT WILL BREAK

Hmmmm…..think I will stick it in the back !

tracknicko
    Free Member

ummm

and that’s over cobbles.

rs
    Free Member

watch them hitting the down tube of a carbon santa cruz against a concrete block, I wouldn’t have any worries about a roof carrier after that.

compositepro
    Free Member

comes down to common sense if you want to try and crush it you will

dont overclamp it

much more dangerous are low over overhead barriers

convert

You can certainly make carbon tubes clamp proof – just look at windsurf masts. Bikes ones are pretty feable by comparison though in that direction and the pro bikes above are “free” so a bit of a different senario.

It would make sense for a “consumer” bike (i.e. for the likes of you and me to buy, ride and get from A to B) to have a beefed up area of downtube that was clearly marked and clamp proof. The marginal change in ride characteristic and weight would not be noticed by a pudding like me (or you) I suspect.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

I wont be clamping my Addict to any roof rack -the downtube is tissue thin.

Interestingly my mate drove though a barrier with 2 bikes on rood two weeks ago and ripped both bikes and roof rack off the car in one go and cause £1000 worth of damage to car …..mmmmm

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

margin walker, you mean nearly ex mate if it had **** your bike up ?

Northwind

Mine goes on the roof, I wouldn’t buy a bike I couldn’t treat like a bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Carbon Frames and roof carriers – yes or no ?’ is closed to new replies.