• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mc.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Car repairs – insurance job
  • benz
    Free Member

Well the good news is that the insurance approved repair shop can apparently repair my Alfa and have been authorised to do so.

Apparently:

Front passenger wing – repair and repaint
    Front passenger inner wing protector – replace
    Front passenger shock – replace (apparently bent…)
    Front bumper – repair, repaint and realign
    Front driver wheel bearing – replace

They have said that this is their starting point?!?

I’m uncomfortable with replacing only one shock. I replaced both in August last year with new KYB excel-g gas shocks and would have expected to replace with matched pair rather than a single shock on the damaged side?

I also expected more damage – any impact which bent the shock on the front of an Alfa surely did more than just that…was expecting balljoints, steering arm, etc

Should I obtain full details of work to be completed and then critique. Other parties insurance are funding.

Thoughts please.

I’d like the car back 100%. On this basis if I am not happy with the work when I go to pick the car up (I will examine it and also drive it)can I reject the repair and then leave it to the insurance company to sort out?

mc
    Free Member

Given that is was reversed into by another car, the force would of hit the top of the wheel, with the strut taking the worst of the load and bending. The lower suspension arm/steering is designed to take that kind of sideways load, otherwise it would crumple when you cornered a bit too hard.

As for replacing shocks in pairs, yes it’s advisable, but not something that any manufacturer will do if it’s them paying the bill, so take that whatever way you want!

Wheel bearing on the opposite side is suspicious though.

Once all the bits have been replaced, they should do a full geometry check, which should highlight any other issues, if there are any.

benz
    Free Member

Thanks.

What happened was the other car was attempting to turn and sadly misjudged – they hit the passenger side of my car with the front of their car.

Reckon the wheel bearing on the driver side could have been because my car got pushed hard against the kerb at the drivers side – enough to gouge the kerb and gouge the rim too.

Now I’m a fussy git and can easily see impact marks on both wheels….but have a horrible feeling that the repairer may not deal with these as a matter of course – if I can still see the impact marks after repair what do you think I should do?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The key phrase for me is

They have said that this is their starting point?!?

In other words this is the minimum they will do and may well need to inspect / replace other items depending on their state of repair.

mc
    Free Member

If you can still see the impact marks, then don’t accept it. The only acceptable repair is one you can’t see (unless the cars a banger, and the repair is the only good bit on the car!).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Car repairs – insurance job’ is closed to new replies.