Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Car Part Warranty Questrion
  • younggeoff

Ok my mates motor (1.0 Litre Corsa) has got a dodgy CV, it's only taken the mechanics ?? 12 months to work out what's wrong. To cut a long story short the new CV actually whole driveshaft is getting fitted 4 days before the 3 year warranty on the car runs out and they're saying that the part is only warrantied for the 4 days. Now I would've expected the part to be warrantied for 12 months (as is the case if he were to pay for the work to be performed). Is the garage (Bristol Street Motors in Sunderland) talking bollox??

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would have thought they are correct – they only warrantied the car for 3 years, not three years plus extended warranty on any replacement parts.

Had he bought the part it would be a different matter.

Could be wrong though and perhaps, as a customer relationship exercise, they should extend it seeing as they took so long to sort it out.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As far as I'm aware, the replaced part does indeed only have to be covered by the remaining warranty period. I had a graphics card die about 1 month from end of warranty, the replacement died about 2 months after warranty and they refused to replace it (but did offer me a different one very cheaply).

andydicko
    Free Member

They are indeed correct, any component replaced under the "Contractual Warranty" is only covered for the remainder of that period, if however you have paid for it and have paid any contribution towards it, it would indeed then be covered by a 12 month Parts Warranty.

younggeoff

oh well, c'est la vie

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Tell him to ask if he can make a contribution towards the job. Even if its £20 it will get him 12mths warranty on the part. It wont cost the dealership anything to do it as it is the manufacturers further 12mth warranty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Car Part Warranty Questrion’ is closed to new replies.