Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Car fuel line cut – cheer me up
  • Militant_biker

Filled up the car this evening after work, fuel peed out all over station forecourt. Turns out the fuel pipe has a very neat cut in it. But how far will a 1.4 car doing about 35-40mpg go with only the fumes from the pipe?

I can only guess someone wanted to nick the fuel out of it, but as the fuel warning light was on for the last few weeks (yes – I use the car once in a blue moon) they would have got bugger all out of it.

The downside is that we were due to go on holiday tomorrow, so that's that plan fairly ruined. 🙁

falkirk-mark

Can you not replace the pipe with universal stuff from a motor factor and a couple of jubilee clips

Militant_biker

One end yes, the other end is buried up behind the tank – looks like a tank out job to get to it 🙁

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I had this happen to my GF's 106, was right at a time we needed the car too & had to rearrange plans because of it! Bumholes… 🙁

falkirk-mark

can you not loosen the tank enough just to slip replacement hose over the end then tighten everything back up(jubilee clip and tank)

project
    Free Member

Was it an Astra, they seem to be targeted quite often.

Militant_biker

It was my retro Citroen AX. 22 years of use means it's all a bit of a mess under there, so I can't see where to begin.

Plus it has 2 too many wheels for me to understand it enough to work on.

I suppose I could sleeve an extra length of pipe over the cut bit and jubilee that up snug, but it's due for it's MOT and service at the end of the month so may just get them to do it all and take the train…

juiced
    Free Member

Hardluck mate. I have an ax too – great little cars 😛

petrieboy

just a rubber hose yeah? just chop in in two and re join with one of these – add a couple of jubilee clips for a belt and braces job. no ned to go replacing complete lines. simples
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metal-Fuel-Hose-Union-Joiner-Connector-8mm-8mm_W0QQitemZ110406382855QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b4bbb507&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A1|39%3A6|72%3A1683|293%3A1|294%3A24

Militant_biker

petrieboy – Yeah – it is just a rubber hose, but they took a few hacks at it to cut it, so the damaged section is too long to rejoin. Thanks for the link though.

Turns out it's just the overflow or vent or breather pipe so it's still drivable. Just smelly. And they would have got no petrol out of it…

juiced – I love my AX. It's 22 years old – and only 35000 on the clock, but with a 1.4 engine with it's lack of weight means it's a fun car.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Car fuel line cut – cheer me up’ is closed to new replies.