Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • Canyon bikes nightmare!
  • deftone1984
    Free Member

Hi there….new to this forum and having mega troubles with my new bike so thought I’d see if anyone got any advice on the matter. Recently bought a new canyon nerve am 6.0 after reading reviews. Loved the bike for the first 5 mins then……after careful inspection…..found the hubs had zero grease in them, the gears where set up by a retard. So sorted this out myself….I’ve ridden the bike a fair few times in the past month and more things have gone wrong! The elixir 3 brakes have completely given up…the lever pulls right back to the bar ( I know this is common with avids, but in doing so it still won’t stop the bikes) the rear shock bushes have gone making a terrible noise even when riding on the flat. I’ve sent canyon several emails and had absolute zero replies! I’ve tried phoning at least 40 times and they never answer the phone!?! Just don’t know what to do now really?

duntstick
    Free Member

I’d change the bushes and give the brakes a bleed.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I’ve just had a new bike from them too and experienced a few problems. So far they’ve been pretty good sorting it out, did you email uk@canyon.com ? They’ve been replying quite rapidly.

smell_it
    Free Member

Do you think the gears were set up by an actual retard or are you just showing your own limitations?

bencooper
    Free Member

Did you get a professional to look at it at any point?

Scapegoat

Given that Canyon sell bikes from continental Europe, you make a huge saving on what it would cost to buy it from a LBS. As a consequence you have to accept the limitations this means in terms of setup and maintenance. You owe it to yourself to learn how to set your own gears, grease your own hubs, and change your own bushes. Would you have sent the bike back to Germany to have the gears indexed or the barrel adjuster tweaked?

deftone1984
    Free Member

Yeah emailed that address several times. No I wouldnt of sent it back for a mere tweak on a barrel adjuster, the front mech was mounted totally wrong and the cables where not routed correctly. As for the wheels….yes I know how I grease hubs but my point being why was there none in there in the first point. Some of you may think I’m being picky but normally these sort of setup problems are resolved before it leaves the factory

kimbers

buy some new shock bushings and replace the brakes

deftone1984
    Free Member

Yeah emailed that address several times. No I wouldnt of sent it back for a mere tweak on a barrel adjuster, the front mech was mounted totally wrong and the cables where not routed correctly. As for the wheels….yes I know how I grease hubs but my point being why was there none in there in the first point. Some of you may think I’m being picky but normally these sort of setup problems are resolved before it leaves the factory

smiff
    Free Member

i’m guessing you can’t return it as “not fit for purpose” as was from outside UK, unless they accept that, so your only option is to learn how to sort all that yourself or pay an LBS to do it… those are all things you’d have to do sooner or later anyway and not expensive, apart from labour.
    good warning about canyon setup being bad though.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Try to bleed the brakes rather than replace. Excess lever travel before biting is usually down to air in the system.

Pauly

Should have gone to your LBS.

jota180
    Free Member

Should have gone to your LBS.

Bet you’re a bundle of laughs at the pub

Wookster

Nightmare mate. I’ve seen good things about Them onhere though so hope you get it all sorted out.

ianv
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s being picky at all. Canyon bang on about their bikes being ready to ride so they should be, no matter how good value they are. If the brushings are knackered they should be replaced at canyons expense.I don’t see why anyone could think it acceptable that you end up out of pocket making a brand new bike fit for purpose. If they don’t sort it out there is something seriously wrong with their customer service.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bet you’re a bundle of laughs at the pub

Pub? Why you not go your LBS?

skeetsgb
    Free Member

ive got 2, and never had a problem with either. love them. definatly going to buy another i a years time.

i no someone who’s canyon arrived with no oil in the brakes, lbs sorted and canyon paid the bill, all by end of week. never heard a bad thing about customer service by email or phone.

jota180
    Free Member

Pub? Why you not go your LBS?

They’re too busy on Saturday evening returning promised calls to customers.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I have the same bike and mine doesnt have such issues except the brakes, which were fine for two rides then became annoyingly poor. But from what I gather thats just Avids and Canyon arent the only ones putting on Elixirs as oem, but its a mistake i suspect.

Also to be fair I got some offset shock hadware and replaced the bushings when I threw that on, as Burgtec supply the good ones with the offset parts

r17anm
    Free Member

Anyone who makes out its to be expected because they cost less than lbs is full of sh** they dont say on their website we are cheap so the bike may be set up badly

nobbyq
    Free Member

i had a canyon strive , was a good bike , and service was always good , go on facebook on their page and write there , they will help then

euans2
    Free Member

Sounds like a “Friday afternoon bike” when I replaced the rear shock on my AM 7 I noticed the top bushes were a bit loose, it cost me less than £10 to buy a tool and some new DU bushes, job was done in less than 5 mins.

I doubt Canyon even look at the internals of the hubs as the wheelset are hand made by DT Swiss and will be shipped straight to Canyon to put the wheels in the box.

I dont know how long you have had your bike, but every bike I have ever had has always been back at a LBS for a service after 6 weeks (including the Canyon)

I had a couple of issues with my bike when I firs got it, 1 phone call is all it took to get through to Cullen, 24 hours later I had a new part in my hands. I’ve also contacted Cullen a few times via email and while it’s not an instant reply its still fairly quick and normally within 24 hours (I believe they are shut over the weekend though)

baznav73
    Free Member

Grease in the hubs isn’t down to canyon anyway it’s down to the maker of the hub {couldn’t think how to spell manufacturerer}.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I agree with r17, it’s not to be expected and they should sort it, but i dont think this experience is typical

jota180
    Free Member

Grease in the hubs isn’t down to canyon anyway it’s down to the maker of the hub

Oh it is, Canyon supplied the bike, it’s their issue

matt_outandabout

mattjevans
    Free Member

On the hubs, I suspect most bike brands (and lbs’s for that matter) dont check their OEM wheelsets before shipping a bike, but thats not to say thats ok

Northwind

If I’m right, it’ll have DT cartridge hubs? In which case no manufacturer’s going to strip the hubs and pop a seal off the cartridge to check it.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Support my local bike shop who carries one model (not brand, but a single model) of full suspension bike and who tried to charge me £10 for a small bottle (ie the single tire size one) of Stans No Tubes…

Next you’ll be suggesting buying books in a shop…

mattjevans
    Free Member

Pretty sure the hubs are just the current version of the dt swiss onyx oem hubs

Scapegoat

r17anm – Member
    Anyone who makes out its to be expected because they cost less than lbs is full of sh** they dont say on their website we are cheap so the bike may be set up badly

A bike is a medley of components. How good a bike is down to what you think makes a good medley, or cocktail. How it’s put together is down to the seller. The OP has listed some examples of a poor build, but virtually every person who has replied regarding Canyon’s after service has said that the issues have been sorted quite amicably by taking the bike to an LBS and billing Canyon.

However, and it’s a big however, if you buy a bike like a Canyon you do so knowing that it will take a long time to ship a bike back to the Vaterland, and the inconvenience and longwindedness mean it’s easier to sort them yourself rather than bugger about with shipping etc etc. After all, by indexing his own gears and realigning his own mech the buyer has sorted it out so he can ride tomorrow, not a fortnight tomorrow.

Many people I know buy Boardman bikes, knowing that they are fantastic value for money, yet without exception they all know that there is a chance that Halfords spannerists will balls up the build, and they MAY have to sort out the issues themselves. After all, if you take it back to Halfords for a mech to be straightened it would take them over a week to sort that as well.

If you can’t accept that, then buy from your LBS, who will sort everything out to perfection and at exactly the moment you want it doing, won’t they?

I’m not full of sh*t as you so eloquently put it, I’m a pragmatist who has learnt that there is only one way to a perfect build, and that’s to do it yourself. I’ll heartily recommend direct sales and Boardman bikes, but always with the Caveat that the buyer may well have to sort out some minor issues themselves.

Gribs

I bought mine just because of the part/cost ratio and was happily surprised at the build quality as I was expecting to have to set it up myself but nothing needed adjusting. I replaced the brakes fairly quickly but that was just down to not liking the feel of the Avids but they worked fine.

I was intrigued by the comment on the front mech as I can’t see how it could be mounting wrong as it’s a direct mount one and only fits one way.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I bought a canyon nerve XC 18 months ago. When the bike arrived there were a few issues nothing major. I got them sorted and emailed canyon uk, who responded immediately and offered to pay the bike shop bill.

To be honest it doesn’t make sense that canyon uk are not responding.

I wonder if a fed up local bike shop would ever consider taking to a forum in an attempt to discredit canyon. Just a thought 😉

Scapegoat

chipsngravy – Member
    I bought a canyon nerve XC 18 months ago. When the bike arrived there were a few issues nothing major. I got them sorted and emailed canyon uk, who responded immediately and offered to pay the bike shop bill.

To be honest it doesn’t make sense that canyon uk are not responding.

I wonder if a fed up local bike shop would ever consider taking to a forum in an attempt to discredit canyon. Just a thought

It was Andy’s first post after all…………… 😉

mkaye93
    Free Member

best place for avids is in the parts bin, not worth it with them. We ended up sending a set of avids back to sram technical for the same problem, wouldnt bleed up and all the lever internals were kaput. Even they couldnt do much with em so they sent some new ones. Shimano’s deors are the best for money tbh.
    What hubs are they ?? And when the assembly dude is doing 25+ of the same bikes each day at the factory, its common for the gears to be slightly out.

r17anm
    Free Member

Well i am pretty eloquent 🙂

Dogsby

I bought a Canyon Nerve XC 9 a couple of months ago. Althouh I had to put the handlebars and wheels on it was perfect out of the box. I did make sure that I checked it over thoroughly after reading the threads on here but it was perfect even down to the indexing. Not sure if the fact that I live in Germany made the difference but they provided an excellent service. Actually they are only an hour or so down the road so technically they are my LBS!

Dogsby

deftone1984
    Free Member

im not a LBS trying to discredit canyon at all, just someone that spent money on a bike and is not satisfied with the after service Canyon are providing eg NONE! I could easilly replace the bushes, bleed the brakes….the fact is why should I have to if the bike is brand new? thanks for the suggestion with the facebook page ill give them a try on there. Took the rear shock off and it appears that when the mounting bolt was put through the frame and bushes and tightened it had chewed the bush…..hence why its worn reasonably quickly. Like I said maybe im being picky.

Northwind

deftone1984 – Member

the fact is why should I have to if the bike is brand new?

It isn’t- the brakes need bled now, they didn’t when you got it.

I’m kind of intrigued about the front mech too, now- is it a direct mount? If so, how was it mounted wrong?

Also interested to hear more about the hubs- are they sealed bearing hubs or cup-n-cone?

Wookster

Ooooohhhhhh straight to FB…………The nuclear option…….. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bikes nightmare!’ is closed to new replies.