Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can you change QR fork lowers for QR15 on Fox Float?
  • scud
    Free Member

I have 2009 130mm Fox Float Forks on Trek EX8, do any of you knowledgable souls know if you can swap the fork lowers with the normal quick release skewer to a new fork lower to take the new 15QR?

Many thanks.

IamSam
    Free Member

Yes but its not cheap

el_creedo
    Free Member

Yes – the lowers cost £140 from Mojo, then you either fit them yourself (brave), or pay Mojo/TFT to do it.
    You're looking at over £200 unless you can DIY.
    Even if you can stretch to that – you could probably sell your existing forks and buy some brand new QR15's for (at the most) £200 more than you manage to sell the old ones for!
    Only if the lowers were £100, or if you're brave enough to dismantle yours and DIY, is it worth doing, IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

then you either fit them yourself (brave), or pay Mojo/TFT to do it.

How hard can it be?
    Then your front hub has to be compatible – thats what puts me off.

el_creedo
    Free Member

DezB – have you ever taken apart a set of decent air sprung forks? holysh*t there's a lot in there! plus – you'd be silly not to replace the bushings and seals whilst changing the lowers, as well as the suspension fluid…so you're soon making the cost up to £200.
    I know there are Vids on Fox etc., but one false move can mean you've stuffed £400 worth of kit!

I think TFT quoted me under £200 without a service, or £220 including full service and custom set up. Give them a call.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

toys19
    Free Member

dismantled my fox 32s and 36s easy peasy.

retro83
    Free Member

So the new lowers don't include bushings? Seems a bit tight

el_creedo
    Free Member

toys19 – i could dismantle anything easy-peasy!
    …it's putting it back together where it'd go wrong! 😆

The facts are, even if this is not a recipe for mechanicide – at £140 plus seals kit, plus fluid, plus your time (and in my case blood/sweat/tears/angst), I reckon TFT will come out cheaper and easier!

I also suspect a new set altogether, selling the old ones will come in even cheaper (progressive bikes' Si was advertising a set of white Float qr15 150's for £450 today, a bargain!) – and you have brand new forks out of the deal!

toys19
    Free Member

el_creedo I think your analysis is pretty sound.

It depends on which side of the "am I a competent mechanic" question you fall on.

I guess the other question is: What does a 2nd hand set of 32's go for these days? For example I have 2008 vanilla 32. I reckon I'd be lucky to get £140 for them, but for £144 and another £30 for seals etc then I effectively have new forks.. I personally do not doubt my own mechanical skills to do this job. I've rebuilt countless motorcycle forks and have serviced these twice since may 08, another one due, I am in exactly the same position as the op..

The other cost is the converters to change my hope pro 11 to 15mm but I would need those even if I bought a new fork..

Tim
    Free Member

DIY could be a pain if the seals and bushes ARENT included

otherwise it would be pretty simple

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

There isn't much inside a pair of fox floats, or at least there shouldn't be if they aren't knackered. Two bolts/nuts drain oil, reassemble with new oil have pint.

toys19
    Free Member

I've also thought about the middle ground – a 9mm solid qr thingy. I bought one of these for my pace fighters and 9mm converters for my superstar front hub, but have yet to ride it. I think hope do 9mm spacers for the pro 11 too. Although I wonder if this really makes much difference over normal qr.

scud
    Free Member

Only reason I asked was that I've just come back from Afan this morning and after taking my bike and trying one of demo bikes from Sklyine fitted with the QR15 there was a real difference in the front end stiffness rattling over the rocks.

Only trouble is the QR forks I have are brand new as i've just brought the 2009 Trek EX8 as new from a shop for a nice price, so am reluctant to try and sell them on fleabay and try and buy 2nd hand QR15 forks.

Thanks again all for the advice

firestarter
    Free Member

you could try a 9mm bolt thru depending on your wheels thats what i run ive dt hubs and hope pro2 hubs both with adaptors running dt rws and i found it stiffer . Superstar do cheap 9mm bolt thru qr and hope adaptor kit was 16.50 iirc worth a thought

scud
    Free Member

Cheers Mick, i'll look into that, you can't beat Superstar Components, i've just bought 4 pairs of Kevlar brake pads for £25 from them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can you change QR fork lowers for QR15 on Fox Float?’ is closed to new replies.