Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cambridgeshire anywhere good to ride?
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Afternoon, I'm off to the parents-in-laws about 30 mins east of Peterbrough, is there any decentish riding around that area, other than Thetford?

Jamie
    Free Member

Nope. Road bike country really.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Not really, plenty of bridleway's but you'd be lucky to find anything too exiting ! It's very very very flat

LoCo
    Free Member

Urgh! Best pack the road wheels then too, any other suggestions? Isn't Jedi's local spot round thereish? Can't remember the name.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

30 mins east of Peterborough?- is that Wisbech way?

I used to live there and ride 27 miles to Bausy Pits to go riding and then ride 27 miles back- crazy in hindsight, but that's what it took to get to anywhere with hills-these were technically big holes it being an old quarry, but you get the idea.

In short, no there isn't any MTB riding – bring your road bike and stay away from the locals.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ha Ha! Married to one of the locals and coming from Wales so locals not a problem.
    It's near Ramsey.

Jamie
    Free Member

Woburn is an hours drive from Peterborough so should not be much further for you. Straight down A1 towards Bedford.

I live in P'boro and have a Dialled Alpine for the 5% of the time i can get down to chicksands. Its surprisingly comfy for XC tho and i am too lazy to change frames. There is a pic of me next to the word overbiked in the dictionary 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

cheers just had a search about and found Woburn and Chicksands, Chicksands is 20 mins closer so will probably try that, have looked at the website and seems pretty good how long are the xc loops e.t.c

willard

Chicksands is not bad. Quite close (ish) to Cambridge and half decent (if short) XC ride. They've also got the dual, jump and 4X courses. Oh, and some shore…

Generally a nice place and nice people too

Jamie
    Free Member

Might want to have a word with oldgit, but if it is XC you are after then Woburn is probably your best bet. Most of the stuff at Chicksands does not get maintained as is my understanding.

monkfish
    Free Member

If it was me i'd spend an extra 15 minutes in the car and head to Woburn.

Chicky is a smaller version of Woburn with the xc route over and done with pretty quickly, whereas at Woburn there's several hours riding with a lot of new stuff.

Be best to find a local to get the most out of the day

LoCo
    Free Member

cool cheers chaps, Chicksands it is then, will be riding most of including the freeride and dh anyway so doesn't matter too much if the xc isn't great, can't be much bumpier than Thetford 😕

jedi

my place is herts shore and is pretty near too 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Are you looking for new members then Tony?

ampthill

Chick sands is small and cost £5 now even for XC. There are plenty of trails so you can vary the fairly short laps. You can also link into bridle way networks and ride along way. You could head West (on a Bridleway) have a play in Maulden wood head West again and do some good stuff around Millbrooke. From their you could get to Woburn covering a fair proportion off road. South of Chicksands you can link into the trail network around Offley and Barton-Le-Clay. Not technical but scenic and hilly

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Chick sands is small and cost £5 now even for XC

Rubbish – it only costs if you insist on riding through the hills where the 'shore, 'DH' & Dual courses are. & even then only if the BFT Team are alert AND you can't talk your way out of paying. 🙄

jedi

i have never turned down anyone from coming there

zaskar
    Free Member

Have you guys tried Rockingham Forest which is nearby?

Starts from the Golf club area near Ferry Meadows and can lead to Northampts.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cambridgeshire anywhere good to ride?’ is closed to new replies.