Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Calling STW'ers in Scotland …
  • cinnamon_girl

How are you all coping up there?

A wee update would be nice. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is there an incontinence problem north of the border?

falkirk-mark

Wind has died down here just now, thanks for asking

cinnamon_girl

Shut it Cap’n!

Falkirk is the East coast Mark?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

We’re all still alive up here thankyou. Don’t bother coming up, it’s crap. Really. You wouldn’t like it.

jordie
    Free Member

Still relly windy the top of a Patio heater just blew up our street making a right noise

legend
    Free Member

All very boring really, got a little windy, (brown) wheelie-bin fell over, picked it back up again, got less windy.

The “how are the conditions at Glentress” thread will be along shortly

druidh
    Free Member

Nothing speshul really. Usual over-reaction. We’ve had windier days with less of this fuss.

sparksmcguff

It’s getting worse here in the North East. My kids (half built admittedly) tree house blow down a couple of hours ago. Mind you it’s so dark and wet it’s hard to tell whether it’s just a lot of wind or whether there’s some real damage.

Dolcered

Still windy in ayr. Haven’t seen too much damage yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just a wee puff earlier.

I dinna eeen ha too hould oon too mee breeches!

Very Sorry – non native here. But someone had to have a go!

It was a tad breezy. Didnt live up to the hype in Edinburgh though. Other spots seemed bad. Local Government induced rush hour at 1 pm caused a bit of gridlock.

Seems back to normal now. Missus is off to Christmas party, local kids were going mental being off school.

RustyMac

Nae to bad up here in Aberdeen, happy i am onshore rather than off at the moment and very glad i can walk to work rather than drive as there are trees down all over the place. Also the christmas lights on Union Street came down today so traffic in the morning will be hell.

cinnamon_girl

Is there anyone from the Highlands area?

Glad that you’re all coping and – polite request – please don’t send any snow down here!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Dumfries isn’t so bad but there was a warning from the 7 Stanes not to go riding due to risk from falling trees. Not too bad where I am as our house is sheltered.

Some crazy photos here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2071633/UK-weather-Britain-battered-winds-151mph.html

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Should be some more firewood to collect in the morning 😀

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ve got a stinking cold and I’m feeling shite.

jimmy

PARDON??

bruneep

normal day in scotch land

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Calming down now in Edinburgh. A few slates gone, tv arial in a funny place but still there just.

I am in an attic flat tho where the wind gets funnelled and accelerated over the roof

ojom
    Free Member

Normal weather for Hard Men like us up here.

falkirk-mark

Falkirk is pretty much in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh CG

iainc

Quite a windy day at home (East Kilbride) and work (Glasgow). The kids got a day off, which was a nonsense, and my drive home from work only took 20 mins vs. the usual 40 as so many people were either at home looking after their kids, or sent home early. Quite a farce, as not really any more windy than ‘normal storms’ which happen a few times per annum regularly. Very little damage round the estate, a few tiles off here and there – often much worse

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is there anyone from the Highlands area?

Yes. A bit quieter now. Our trampoline is broken underneath a tree, and I’ve lost a tarpaulin. Still, my mate’s shed exploded, so could be worse. My wife can’t get home though due to a landslide between here and there. So I’ve had to cook for the children and make tomorrow’s packed lunches. What’s that all about!

iainc

..the strange thing is we were all sat at work watching the BBC wondering when the storm was going to come and whilst it was certainly wild, it never got to the extent we were all expecting from the media preparation

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – the old “stopped by a landslide” excuse eh?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Hurricane Bawbag scored a “aye hunners of times” on the camped out in worse scale.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yeah, keeps happening apparently!

darrell
    Free Member

Tad bit breezy in Norway. Scotishland mustae taken the brunt of it

DickBarton

Same old…watched everyone in work today get into a right panic about the winds and then watched them all leave early…when I left (they were closing the building), the drive home was uneventful…pretty much the same as it was every other day – the way in was the same…nothing of note to talk about.

Looking at the trees it was blowing a right hoolie, but I didn’t notice it whilst driving (admittedly I’m only 15 minutes home)…I think I’m ‘lucky’ because my commute is reasonably straightlined and it is either into the prevailing wind or with so I wouldn’t notice many gusts. The roads I use don’t flood much so there wasn’t any real issue of auqaplaning, etc.

All-in-all, I’ve yet again managed to miss all the really foul weather.

Since I’ve been home (and working), the wind had picked up and the seat felt like it was wobbling slightly in the real strong gusts, but nothing of note really.

Saying all that, I sound like I couldn’t care less, but some colleagues did end up taking almost twice the time to get home due to road closures and trees/flooding…so it has affected some people but I’ve been lucky enough to avoid it.

Seems to be pretty ‘calm’ out there just now…

bruneep

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82EvcvSTxmE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

stucol
    Free Member

What a load of overblown mince that was today.

Schools shut and i got sent home at lunchtime (oh what a shame).

But really ! Ok it was well windy but you would have though it was the coming of the horsemen of the apocalypse.

One colleague said she hoped that if it came to it she would rather die than her husband.

Catch a flaming grip people.

Over-cautious nanny state wrap everyone in cotton wool and avoid litigation nonsense.

WE ARE ALL DOOMED !!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Entertaining day watching airplanes abort lamding at last minute

Listening to the world ending

Drove to work on deserted back road – it was great all the cars i usually meet were on the main roads…… Did come to a flooded section taking a short cut on a road through a golf course which i had to consider before driving through but it was fine .

Coming home no traffic

So not only did i not effect me but it actually made my day more pleasurable.

Did have to take the whirly line in though as i thought it was about to do the same as the wind turbines !

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So not only did i not effect me but it actually made my day more pleasurable.

My memory of hurricane bawbags too!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

tarpaulin blew off my roof – floor getting soaked as im not going up there to pull it over tonight

supremebean
    Free Member

im in the highlands, was’nt too bad.165 mph wind recorded up cairngorm today.

i was up a ladder at work in the hills south of Inverness (200m ASL) today, was more worried about the branches falling off the trees than being blown off the ladder. the 5 mile drive home was spent dodging fallen trees and branches on a single track road. i have never seen that road so bad with tree debris! i guess the local trails will be covered in it too!

Very calm now though.

druidh
    Free Member

thegreatape – I assume you’re near Corran/FW. Are you gonna be affected by the planned closure for roadworks? I was reading that there’s some pressure to get the ferry made free for the duration?

ojom
    Free Member

With all these closures and people off work, did we lose more today in the economy or on the day of the recent strike? 😀

sparksmcguff

Sainburies Garthdee (Aberdeen), roof of foyer collapsed – opps! To everybody saying it’s just a regular blow, and bearing in mind I’m passing judgment from inside, it sounds louder than last years little blow.

peajay

Must say was very windy in Fort William, probably the strongest winds I can remember, been here 40 years!
    I think nevis range recorded 130mph!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hopefully it won’t affect us, but as you know, there’s no practical alternative route if disaster strikes.

Hadn’t heard about the ferry being free, but it’s a good idea. I think it’s running something like 6am-midnight over the weekend though?

EDIT – Close, 0630-2400 Sat and Sun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Calling STW'ers in Scotland …’ is closed to new replies.