Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • C2C – Whitehaven to Sunderland – recomended MTB Tyres
  • OrangeEvo
    Free Member

I am doing the 140 mile C2C route from Whitehaven to Sunderland on my mountain bike and was wondering what would be the ideal tyre to take.

I am travelling very light and am doing it in 2 days – ~70 miles per day.

What tyres would people recomend – just go with normal MTB ones, or would some slicks give me a faster ride without compromising safety?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Slicks will be fine I think. I know the Sunderland end better than the Whitehaven, but the off-road surface from Rookhope onwards is very good unless the heavens open.

MRanger156
    Free Member

The only part that you would benefit from normal mtb tyres is the old coach road, just miss that bit out and put some slicks on – much better for 98% of the ride. I wish I’d done the same when I did it!

Davy
    Free Member

Put some really cheap ones on, cos they’ll probably get nicked when you get to Sunderland.

Seriously though, go for some decent slicks or semi slicks. It’s not the most technically challenging ride you’ll ever do…
    It’s worth going for some extra puncture protection, as there tends to be a lot of glass on the track, especially as you go through Consett, Stanley, Washington and Sunderland.

Simon

I did it last year (including the old coach road) on a mountain bike (newish Rockhopper) fitted with Schwalbe Hurricane tyres, they were cheap and seemed to be a good compromise, fast rolling on the tarmac but with a decent volume for the rougher bits.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Semi slicks, most of it is on road or gravel tracks. We went via Threlkeld instead of the old coach road. There’s a bit off off road on the moors after rookhope incline, however, if it’s been wet and you’re on semi slicks, there is the road alternative of crawleyside bank, make sure you stop off at the cafe at the top for some broth 🙂

StuE
    Free Member

My other half did it in May used Maxxis wormdrives did all the off road bits Old coach road etc, old coach road is a fair climb but is worth doing for the views

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘C2C – Whitehaven to Sunderland – recomended MTB Tyres’ is closed to new replies.