Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Buying lots of electrical goods.
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi. My girlfriend and I are moving into our first house shortly. We need a tv fridge washing machine and a dishwasher. Question is should i buy from say Currys for example and negotiate a deal? Or online? Also what discount would you expect and what would be your tactics ? Thanks in advance.

29erKeith
    Free Member

John lewis, they’ll price match other stores (not internet only, but can be found online if they have a physical store anywhere in the country) then they include a 5 year guarantee for free.

peterfile
    Free Member

For the fridge, washing machine and dishwasher, some more local/independent stores will often be easier to get a deal when you are spending a lot, but not sure this will work out cheaper than the discount you would probably be able to find by looking for the best price for each item online.

As for the TV, there are some awesome deals pretty much everywhere at the moment on LCDs and plasmas as the world makes way towards 3D (which seems daft, but it does help to drop the price of regular TVs and their “outdated” technology). Have look around for reviews/mates with TVs in your budget and then search online for prices.

CHB

Research online for best price because different shops have different offers. These offers are often better than the 10% you might get off by haggling.
    Do not buy extended warranties.
    Once you are confident on what you want and what it should cost then pick a quiet day, and explain that you are after several items to set up a home, money is tight and you wondered what extra help could be given on price if you bought all from one place.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i went to co op electrical for mine last month

dishwasher , fridge freezer and washing machine – 900 quid. all bosch and all A+ rated for efficiency – what ever that means…..

i could have got them(same products) ever so slightly cheaper if i was willing to wait and get them from seperate companies but i needed them sub 3 days so we could get moved in (we had a very short window between actually being finalized on the house and getting the keys)- cooop offered free delivery and quick as well as being the best deal for all three products together.

try the comet auction site as well for some ex display/cosmetic seconds – sometimes grab a real bargain for something damaged on the back or side or missing a bit of trim !

sam_underhill

Where are in the country you hammy?

Not sure on the extent of the delivery area but these guys are consistently the cheapest for everything I’ve bought (and they’ll budge on price if something is more than elsewhere)
    http://rdo.co.uk/

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Harrogate North Yorks

jonk

Electrical discount uk are very good based in barnoldswick

Flaperon

If you work for a big company you might get 10% automatically at Comet through their You @ Work scheme.

I bought my stuff from eBay. Described as “graded” though I suspect it was actually used once and returned since the washing machine had a bit of water inside. Better than half price, though, so no complaints here.

stumpy01

Flaperon – I think most washing machines come ‘wet’ as they will have had some kind of short test.

OP – when my sister & her husband got their first house, his mum got all their kitchen electrical for them & basically did what you are suggesting – walked into Curry & said she wanted to buy x, y & z for a kitchen all in one go and got quite a large discount.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers guys some good tips. Anymore thoughts? I like the idea of walking into a shop for the ease unless it is going to loads cheaper online?

Thanks

BillMC

I’ve just completed kitted out a new kitchen from ‘Markselectrical’ in Leicester. They have a shop plus a website.

molgrips
    Free Member

Top tip – look at the letters not just the ratings.

There can be a lot of difference between stuff with the same rating. When we shopped for a fridge freezer, there were loads that were A rated at 350kWh/year, and one made by AEG that was not advertised any differently but was 270kWh/year. Not really expensive either.

Likewise the water consumption for washing machines – ours was lower than most but still had the same AAA rating. Another thing with washing machines is the spin speed – 1600rpm makes it much easier to dry clothes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying lots of electrical goods.’ is closed to new replies.