• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buying an iPad in the states
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

I really, really want an iPad 2 and my inlaws are going to the states on holiday in a few weeks. Does anybody have any experience of the duty, warranty implications etc of buying one over there to use here?

uplink
    Free Member

Should be duty free but you’ll still have to pay the VAT [if caught]

rocketman
    Free Member

A bloke from work was in the States on the day the original iPad was released. Queued up at the Apple Store, bought two, brought them back in his suitcase, no probs.

IIRC the wireless needed a bit of manual tweaking to get it working and they wouldn’t recognise the (UK) Apple Store at first but since the first software update they’ve been fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sam_underhill

Does Steve Jobs allow this?

prettygreenparrot

Bring ’em back in carry-on. Sometimes things go missing from suitcases in the baggage transfer process. They’ll work just the same. As with laptops & iPods.

Their value means you need to declare them on entry and pay import duties and VAT. Failure to declare can result in seizure of the goods and a fine. UK HMRC are appropriately vigilant at our ports of entry. 🙂

Not sure how duty free prices compare to US prices. Also for most US states and cities you need to factor in the state and local sales taxes.

Warranty is valid worldwide. And AppleCare (Apple’s extended warranty) applies worldwide too.

monstamo
    Free Member

Bought 2 ipad 1s in NYC the week after they came out. Got home and both were still there along with a letter from the Dept of Homeland Security letting me know they’d been in for a rummage! Wait.Ed for the tax bill but it never came.

br
    Free Member

If I did buy one I’d just unpack it and bring it back in my hand luggage – how would anyone know that you didn’t take it out?

uplink
    Free Member

Their value means you need to declare them on entry and pay import duties and VAT.

AFAIK, there is no import duty on personal computers, just the VAT

spw3

I bought an iPad1 in Atlanta the other year. I took it back in my checked baggage in it’s box. It worked just fine when I brought it back and has been fine since. There have not been any major reliability issues with iPads (cf white MacBooks). Until the iPad came out Apple’s warranty was country-specific for desktop machines and worldwide for portable devices. The warranty for the iPad is carefully worded to give Apple the right to decline to to service a machine purchased in one country but used in another. I have not seen an outcry from lots of cross-border iPad purchasers denied redress and Apple are in my experience very good when issues arise but they have given themselves the right to decline.

The iPad is not the first piece of apple equipment that i have bought in the US and it will not be the last but if you are concerned then bide your time and buy a refurbished one off the Apple UK site in 3 months time for a 10-15% saving and a full UK warranty.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Must be fate…. I have a friend going to Chicago in a few weeks and I’m thinking of getting her to pick an iPad 2 up for me as well.

mattstreet

Should be ok bringing it back, as said above.

Main thing to bear in mind is the supply problem though. Was over in Oregon last week and tried to get one on 3 occasions – failed every time and came back empty handed 🙁 Apple Stores (and Fry’s Electronics) only get a limited delivery every day and they’re selling on a first-come first-served basis, and they’re selling out FAST. You may have more luck though!

Shorty121
    Free Member

How much cheaper are they?

mattstreet

Taking the 64GB Wi-fi-only one as an example, prices are £559 in the UK and $699 in the US, that’s about £425 at the moment, before taxes, VAT and exchange commission.

prettygreenparrot

@monstamo – you won’t get a bill if you don’t declare them. HMRC haven’t yet developed telepathy.

prettygreenparrot

@uplink – you’re right as long as the iPad isn’t viewed in the group ‘PDA with GPS’ HMRC common internet goods – duty & VAT liability

sharkbait
    Free Member

As I pretty much decided to get one I don’t think I’m going to wait for 4 weeks for my friend to go to Chicago… too much possibility of there not being one available so I’ll probably just order one here.

DezB
    Free Member

Bloke here just got back from the US and his son bought one.
    Only thing he said is the 3G ones are locked to a network that you can’t use over here. So go for Wireless version.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buying an iPad in the states’ is closed to new replies.