Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Buying a used Toyota – VVTi oil issues
  • mtbfix

We’re looking at buying a 2001 Yaris at the weekend but the web throws up a number of threads concerning piston wear and massive oil consumption for VVTi engines over 40k miles. Should we pass on by or simply accept the risk as part of buying 2nd hand cars. It has Toyota service history for it’s first 5 years after all.

cp

i’m sure unless it’s not been serviced at all since the last toyota service then it’ll be fine. if it hasn’t had regular oil changes (i.e. at least once a year since) then I’d steer clear, but that applies to any car really!

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve owned 2 Corollas, both VVTI engines about that age. I did quite a bit of research on the oil consumption while I had them. It does appear to affect the Avensis more than anything else, the Corolla to a lesser degree and I can’t remember seeing problem encountered with Yaris engines. Obviously it might happen as they use VVTI engines as well but different sizes down to 1.0l. Maybe they aren’t affected by it as much as the engine is smaller, the car lighter and under less stress.
    Both my VVTI engines used about 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles. I’ve heard of Avensis engines using 5 litres in the same distance which would be horrific. According to a friend of mine who has been in the auto trade many years Toyota knew about the issue but were reluctant about acknowledging it as a problem. Something to do with the piston rings but I might be wrong.
    Anyway, it wouldn’t put me off buying a Yaris at all. I always check my oil once a week and would recommend you do the same if you bought one. The problems you can get with other makes far outweigh a little oil usage.

Oddly, I once had an engine flush and oil change and it improved things no end. No idea why.

I had the 1.4 99bhp and 1.6 109bhp petrol versions.

We nearly bought a 1.5vvti Yaris T-Sport with 100bhp, it was chuffin ace and went like greased lightning. Great car.

EDIT. I used a thicker oil than recommended on the advice of an expert with I’ll effects. At about £15 per 5 litres it only added £3 per 1000 miles or £1 a tankful onto the costs. But being as my 1.6 engine averaged 37 mpg over the time I had it with at least 50% town driving I reckon that was a bargain. Great engines.

oxym0r0n

My dad’s Avensis has just gone back to Toyota as it was drinking lots of oil – complete engine rebuild under warranty!

llama

We had this problem with our 04 corolla. We were the 3rd owner. The dealer replaced the engine for free. Toyota wanted the damaged one for analysis.

I didn’t believe it 100% until I was leaving the place with my new engine installed.

They even cleaned it inside and out.

Then they phoned me to ask if I was happy with the service!

Dino
    Free Member

Mate of mine had the MR2 last model as did my missus,
    hers was serviced religously in used non, mate got rid of his as it drank oil and had Vvti unit problems.
    U could say buyer beware but after digging around on the net it appears they don’t stand up to any neglect in servicing.
    Tend to think the oil probably needs changing very regular but does not get done as most folk service them on mileage only, not annually etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

My engine’s a modified Yaris VVTi and hardly drinks a drop.

That reminds me, I must check the oil 🙂

mtbfix

I think we’ll have to have a close look at the service history before commiting our cash.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My midget drinks less than that!

I get about 1ltr in 1000 towards a service, but it barely uses anything in the first 1000 after one.

symes
    Free Member

I have a 1.3 Yaris with VVTi, had from new, now has 60K on the clock. Never had to put any oil in between oil changes (not even moved on the dipstick). Has been serviced at correct intervals mind.

maxray
    Free Member

I’ve never put any oil in our polo estate and its currently on 166k, not sure if I’m just lucky or deisels don’t use much oil..

molgrips
    Free Member

Diesels do use oil. It also gets dirty faster.

You’re incredibly lucky if you did all those 166k miles without any service or oil change.

Service schedules are NOT just there to screw money out of drivers.

podman
    Free Member

I’ve owned Yaris’ for the past three years- I’m a moderator on an owners club and I can’t say I’ve ever noticed any issues with oil usage, from myself or others! I do fairly low milage myself, as I tend to ride more than drive, but I’ve never had to top-up between services.

They’re brilliant little cars, there’s a few small niggles (the front ARB bushings for one- they’re rather small and tend to wear quite quickly, but they’re pretty easy to replace and fairly inexpensive), but are generally speaking fantastic little cars. Not the easiest for transporting bikes though, I think the Jazz is the “small” Japanese car of choice for that 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Buying a used Toyota – VVTi oil issues’ is closed to new replies.