Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Bus driver jailed for using his vehicle as a weapon
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Moral of this story – the Bus driver was a C**t, but the cyclist didn’t help himself… life is too short for pointless rows, and he was very lucky to be alive.

You should search Youtube for ‘fatal accidents’ where a lorry ran over a cyclist / pedestrian … the 10 tonnes lorry simply flatten the head of the person.

freeagent
    Free Member

^^^yep, absolutly, which is a horrific end for anyone.. and I understand that most of these incidents are totally down to the vehicle driver not looking…
    However, if there is anything cyclists can do to help avoid this (like not winding up halfwit drivers, and making them see red) then it has to be worth it..

crankboy
    Free Member

Wicked recklessness is Scottish law in Bristol it would only be attempt murder if he could be shown to have intended to kill .

I’m not really sure it’s right to pass any blame on to the cyclist without more information about what happened before .

franksinatra

Does look like the cyclist was riding in front of the bus to deliberately block it or slow it down. Pretty silly but to be honest I have done the same.

Not for a second condoning the drivers actions though. 17months seem reasonable to me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m not really sure it’s right to pass any blame on to the cyclist without more information about what happened before .

I’m entirely sure it’s not right to pass any blame on the cyclist. FFS, when does it become justifiable to assault someone? I’m pretty certain that nothing mentioned thus far falls into that category. Getting into an argument with someone doesn’t frequently lead to being run over by a bus, does it? Why should people not be able to voice their displeasure without expectation of assault?

DezB
    Free Member

I would’ve got up and kicked his head in with my good leg!

(In case anyone thinks I’m completely serious)

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one is saying the bus driver was justified, just that the cyclist appeared to take active steps to wind him up, for which there was no need.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No one is saying the bus driver was justified, just that the cyclist appeared to take active steps to wind him up, for which there was no need.

^^This^^

druidh
    Free Member

^^That^^

franksinatra

You should search Youtube for ‘fatal accidents’

Nope, you don’t. Really

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, many bus drivers are complete psychopaths who think nothing of running defenceless people over with their vehicle…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

defenceles

Really? He could have not bothered having the argument in the first place. He could have just ignored what had happened and ridden on. He could have stepped off his bike, away from the road. He could have not wound the bus driver up in the first place, basically.

Both, and others besides, would have been a defence.

As before,

RichPenny
    Free Member

So what? I believe it is acceptable to wind people up, if that’s the terminology being used. I’m certain flashie, cynical and the druid feel the same 😉 If we’re speculating, I’d guess that the cyclist was reacting to previous dangerous driving by the bus. I think it’s unfair to place any responsibility for the assault on the cyclist because what happened was such a massive escalation in violence purely on the part of the bus driver. I’m emphatically not saying that arguing with people is a good idea, just trying to distance the previous poor behaviour from the assault, is all.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I would’ve got up and kicked his head in with my good leg!

That would have done nothing to inflame the situation, would it? 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

what happened was such a massive escalation in violence purely on the part of the bus driver

Your proof is?

No one is saying tht the bus driver is not to blame for his actions. He is. People are saying that the cyclist could have, and perhaps should have, avoided the unnecessary confrontation which led to the impact.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He seemed to get very close to the bus for no reason I could see whatsoever.

No one is saying that he is responsible in law, it just looks that he could have avoided the whole thing by dealing with it better.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t see any signs of conflict from the video only only someone making there way across lanes of traffic.

Wicked recklessness is Scottish law in Bristol it would only be attempt murder if he could be shown to have intended to kill .

I’m not quite sure how you ever prove intent to kill. If you shoot someone in the body can you just have intent to harm? Similarly trying to drive over someone with a bus can you have intent to only harm?

Coyote
    Free Member

He seemed to get very close to the bus for no reason I could see whatsoever.

Thing is the footage doe not show what happened to piss the cyclist off. Odds on the driver had previously cut him up. In my experience most, but not all, bus drivers are complete and utter ****s where cyclists are concerned.

17 months seems fair? Will he serve the full 17 months? I doubt it.

DezB
    Free Member

That would have done nothing to inflame the situation, would it?

Is davidjones15 one of those bots we were talking about earlier?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Your proof is?

Well they haven’t charged the cyclist with assault, have they? If he did assault the bus driver then I would agree that he’s escalated the situation. For me though, verbals and arm waving will forever be in an entirely different sphere to violence. Anyone moving a situation from one to the other should take full responsibility for that.

the cyclist could have, and perhaps should have, avoided the unnecessary confrontation which led to the impact.

Nope, for me that’s exactly like apportioning blame to the victim of domestic violence because they argued with their partner.

druidh
    Free Member

Coyote – Member

Thing is the footage doe not show what happened to piss the cyclist off. Odds on the driver had previously cut him up. In my experience most, but not all, bus drivers are complete and utter ****s where cyclists are concerned.On one of the other reports, it states that there had been an altercation at a roundabout where the bus driver had not given enough room to the cyclist.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Coyote – Member
    Thing is the footage doe not show what happened to piss the cyclist off

I don’t see how that’s relevant really. And I bet he never does it again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Put another way;

Thing is the footage does not show what happened to piss the cyclist bus driver off. Odds on the drivercyclist had previously cut him up. In my experience most, but not all, bus drivers cyclists are complete and utter ****s where cyclists bus drivers are concerned.

See? Cyclist are not always perfect, nor are bus drivers. Far from it in this case. But….And it’s a big but, both parties could, and should do more to avoid getting in to these situations in the first place.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve had similar “words” with a bus driver, but stayed behind the bus following those words. If you don’t let them know when they cut you up how will thay learn that cyclists don’t appreciate having to bunny hop onto the pavement to avoid a collision?

leffeboy

17 months seems fair? Will he serve the full 17 months? I doubt it.

No I’m sure he won’t but it is difficult to see how he would get a commercial driving job again so he is likely to end up unemployed for some time. It looks as though he just went mad and did something he immediately regretted. He didn’t drive away, he stopped. He admitted guilt at the first opportunity. It’s clearly completely his fault but when you are dealing with other humans you shouldn’t push them too far.

No winners here

Edit: educator has it

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one has an issue with “words”, just no need to inflame a situation.

RichPenny
    Free Member

when you are dealing with other humans you shouldn’t push them too far.

When you are dealing with someone you’ve never met before, how do you know where too far is?

cynic-al
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    When you are dealing with someone you’ve never met before, how do you know where too far is?

I think the video explains that the cyclist exceeded the limit…

RichPenny
    Free Member

I doubt that the cyclist was able to see the video before he made his choices .

imnotverygood

I don’t think you can blame the cyclist until you have an idea of what preceded it. If the driver is a big enough pyschopath to do what we see on the video, he may well have been driving dangerously aggresively before that. It is easy to say ‘don’t wind the driver up’ but with the adrenaline running from the previous near miss that can be easier said than done. ‘Fight or flight’ is a physiological reaction to perceived danger.

Yes it might have been better not to argue with the driver, but it would have been better still for the bus driver not to (presumably) start it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its perfectly reasonable to remonstrate with someone who puts you at risk – even if it gets them cross. However to put yourself in the vulnerable position the cyclist did afterwards in the bit we saw is daft.

In most occasions that is the correct place to ride in the road – however with an angry bus driver behind you the correct place to be is somewhere else. Don’t matter where – just somewhere else. Behind the bus preferably or down a side street.

leffeboy

I doubt that the cyclist was able to see the video before he made his choices .

How would the cyclist have felt if someone had behaved like that to him? Always a good start in these things. Clearly the cyclist wouldn’t have done it if he could have forseen the outcome and and as has already been discussed, not having a word with the driver initially would also have been wrong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ is right.

Seriously, when he and I agree, you know it’s right.

leffeboy

Not only right but beautifully concise. Where’s the lock thread button now? 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry chaps – shall I develop the argument further?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leffeboy, + many! 🙂

TJ, remember what I said about stepping away? 🙂

project
    Free Member

Totally agree with TJ and the Captain, a big bus behind is more dangerous than a big bus in front.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I saw the cyclist appear to follow the bus changing lane and sitting very close to his nearside, more or less on the white line between lanes. That can’t be a good place to be?

imnotverygood

Its perfectly reasonable to remonstrate with someone who puts you at risk – even if it gets them cross. However to put yourself in the vulnerable position the cyclist did afterwards in the bit we saw is daft.

What you actually mean is. When the guy in the BMW or whatever it was tried to kill you, you managed to escape… 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did – then he caught up with me again a couple of miles down the road and I crashed while running away

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Bus driver jailed for using his vehicle as a weapon’ is closed to new replies.