Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Budapest Recommendations
  • allyharp

I’m going there this weekend: what should I not miss? Any food recommendations?

kilo

Went there a few years ago, we did some of the thermal baths / spas and went to the opera house in the evening, nice city, good tube network iirc

higthepig
    Free Member

Great city to visit, we got a ticket for one of the tourist buses, audio in English and visited both sides of the river. You can get off wherever you fancied and it also included a river boat trip, all really worth it and an ace way to see the place. One of my favourite cities.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

Think I’ve recommended this on a previous thread here, but Mazel Tov which (unsurprisingly) is in the Jewish quarter is pretty good for food/somewhere to have a drink. Have a quick google.

Only thing is, it’s in a sort of indoor courtyard so might be a touch chilly at this time of year.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Sorry I’m being lazy and can’t be bothered to type out the same stuff again, there have been two recent threads with loads of good info, do a search.

atlaz
    Free Member

Went there on Sunday. Nice place but I don’t think I got the best of it by only having free time from waking up until 8:30am. One night out so I can say, Jewish Quarter, Ruin bars, Central Market all good for a walk, a drink, a bite to eat etc.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes there was a thread on this not three weeks ago. Do a search.

atlaz
    Free Member

Starting to look like I’ll be back there every couple of months for a week at a time. Quite looking forward to it.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Try palinka don’t try zwack

bigdrew
    Free Member

We stayed in the Jewish quarter. Ruin bars are pretty hard to avoid and were pretty much all good.

Baths are worth a visit

Shoes on the Danube are quite sobering and worth a seeking out. They are close to the parliament building and the whole area is impressive.

Also we hired some bikes and went for a ride. If you go over one of the bridges and up the big hill with the castle on top (not sure what its called) there are some good mountain bike tracks coming straight back down. There were locals on downhill bikes riding them. (They are steep and rocky in places with some drops) We gave the hired hard tail some pain 🙂 They also let you put bikes on the chair lift up for about £2-3.

Flaperon

Hospital in the Rock worth a visit.

Robz
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommend Borkonyha Wine Kitchen. Michelin star, fantastic food and wine and very reasonable.

Alabardos for a very traditional fine dining experience.

Fausto’s for some amazing Italian.

Reccomed a trip to Monument park too. Very interesting.

I love Budapest. Genuinely one of the best value and highest quality food and drink destinations – If you avoid the tourist traps. Really safe city that’s great for exploring on foot. There is some fantastic sights to see.

J-R

I highly recommend doing a half day bike tour of the Pest side of the city, I think we used Budabike and they did tours starting outside the St Stephens Cathedral.

It is flat, it is quite slow because you have a mixed group, but it is a fantastic way to be in the city, get to lots of places in just a few hours and get some fantastic personal insights from the tour guides. And with the current political turmoil in Hungary it is particularly interesting to hear an insiders personal view of recent and more distant history.

Once you have done the tour it will give you lots of places you want to go back to on foot and see again at your leisure. Itt might sound a lame thing to do, but now I make going on a bike tour a top priority for any major city I visit, following my good experience on this a few years ago.

Cletus

The Kempinski Corvinus is a great 5* hotel for not much money. Avoid girls looking for Elizabeth Square. Eat Langosh (spelling) in the old market.. Public baths near Heroes Square worth a visit but take your own towel. Love the place 🙂

Cletus

Oh and go and watch Honved if they are playing at home!

Cletus

And “Bosman” is not a reference to the obscure Belgium footie player who ushered in free transfers!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Budapest Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.