Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bucks off road this Sunday- who's in?
  • pete68
    Free Member

I’m down for the long loop at the moment. Looking at the weekends weather forecast I can’t say I’m really looking forward to it. Anyone else signed up for it?

tsd
    Free Member

Yep the 77k route. I live local and its currently raining.

adsh
    Free Member

Yup 4th year. Long route – will be character building…..

pete68
    Free Member

I’ve done the long one 3 previous times. Missed laat year as it clashed with 24 hours of exposure. Just refitted my maxxis beavers in readiness!

sarpullido
    Free Member

Registered for the long one but after a crash last weekend my ribs are complaining and looking at the weather forecast I might not go

oldgit
    Free Member

Might try for a late entry.

hs125
    Free Member

100km for me, but that may change to 77km depending on the weather / how my legs are holding up.

slowjo
    Free Member

How wet is it down there?

Is it well drained or is it going to unremittingly grim?

Long drive to get there and if it is just going to be a slog it would probably be best to slog round a similar distance at home!

hs125
    Free Member

The last time I rode some of the bridleways in the Chilterns a couple of weeks ago, a lot of it was surprisingly dusty and dry. There’s been a fair few showers these last couple of days, but a lot of sun in between, and it’s windy. It’s mostly chalk under the soil, so reasonably well drained.
    More rain is forecast overnight, but it’s now not looking too bad tomorrow for the actual ride.
    I’m not changing to summer tyres, as I expect there be more than a few boggy bits, but hopefully it will be running well on the majority of the route.

soobalias
    Free Member

i rode some sections on monday which i think are sort of the furthest end of the long route, towards princes risboro. it wasnt depressingly wet

its hammered it down with rain on and off all day today, and plenty in the week too. expect the muddy bits to be horrible and the flinty chalky bits to be fine.

adsh
    Free Member

Hmmm I think I’m going to be wearing my winter boots.

disben

Was going to be doing it but something else has come up – was up there last saturday on some of the tracks near the beginning and they are going to be hard work… (some of the signage was already out in prep).

Done it last couple of years (two years ago it was very very wet and it made it hard). Kind of glad not doing it this year but will be trying again next!

Its a very good fun and well run event if you are free and normally there are quite a few spare places if you turn up on the day.

oldgit
    Free Member

How was it?
    Went that way Saturday and it was grim.

hs125
    Free Member

A great ride yesterday, no rain at all, and I’m sure the sun even came out at one point. I did the 77km route. Some of the trails were pretty muddy and churned up. A lot was just soft, and some bits were remarkably dry. Not too much wheel spinning on the climbs, but my bike was twice its normal weight at the end with all the mud stuck to it.

slowjo
    Free Member

Did the 100. We finished in 5:35 (riding time) which was probably a reflection of the heavy going in some places. It was a bit of a hoot, particularly as my mate and I were running Ralphs.

It has been a long time sine I have ridden in that much mud, sort of brought back memories of Mountain Mayhem. Good fun and glad I went. Doubly glad I wasn’t behind the wheel for the long drive back to Suffolk.

Lol re your heavy bike. I think everyone’s was the same. I know mine was as heavy as a supermarket special when we finished.

All in all a good day to ride rigid – loads of fork clearance!

oldgit
    Free Member

Good going guys. My bike came to an actual standstill due to the mud, that was Saturday and as I wasn’t booked in anyway I opted for a tarmac session Sunday.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bucks off road this Sunday- who's in?’ is closed to new replies.