Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bristol people – st anns or redfield?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

want to make a decision on a house tonight/1st thing tomorrow, as we want something sorted…

there’s a newish flat in st annes, by the river, on a nice ‘young couple/professionals’ type estate.

there’s another place in redfield, a converted church hall – looks beautiful, but we don’t know what the surrounding area is like.

the st anns place is cheaper to rent, and cheaper to live in (newer, more energy efficient, middle floor), but a bit smaller – we work from home, and so space is something we do want to maintain…

we can rent st anns tomorrow (they have a viewing at 11am, and we can get in there first). but if we want redfield, we have to get someone to view it for us (we’re in france), as they won’t let without a viewing.

if we sorted a viewing for redfield out, we might miss out on both, and be back in square 1.

is redfield (victoria avenue) a nice place, and worth trying to sort a viewing for?

sorry for the ramble…

deluded
    Free Member

I assume you are talking about St Anne’s up by the board mills – one of the closes off of Robertson Drive? I would go south of the Feeder in preference to Redfield, St Anne’s is generally a more pleasant setting IMO. Personally, I’ve never been that enamored with Lawrence Hill, Barton Hill, Whitehall – which Victoria Avenue is fairly near to and the main drag, Church Road, is a little tatty.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yeah, i think it’s off robertson drive.. looked pleasant enough, if a little soul-less

thanks for your thoughts on redfield

wrecker
    Free Member

Much as I’d sooner be north of the river, the st Anne’s development is ok.
    I agree with the comments on whitehall etc but St George isn’t bad. Plenty there including a big park.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Agree with deluded’s comments – Church Rd area isn’t that nice IMO. I’d go for the St Anns property I think.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d go for St Anne’s too.

nickjb
    Free Member

Simple answer would be neither, but out of the two it depends what you like. Redfield is livlier with shops and pubs but pretty down-market. I believe it has one of the highest BNP memberships in the UK. St anne’s is a bit nothing.

boxfish
    Free Member

Church Road isn’t that bad. St Annes is of course the “safe” option, although it’s not devoid of crime just like anywhere else. A good friend of mine has lived just off Church Road for 10 years or so and he loves it.

wallop

There is literally nothing in St Anne’s. Nice cycle commute into the city centre though.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks for the input guys!

i realise if we had more time etc we could probably find others, but being in france, and having a lot to do at the moment just means we want to get this out the way asap! worst comes to the worst we can move out after 6 months 🙂

there’ll be more annoying questions about utilities etc coming up, i’m sure! oh, and then i’ll be looking for riding buddies once i arrive (i promise i’m not this needy in real life!)

😉

shaggy

I live in St. Annes. It’s fine, but not very lively. But Beeses has just opened for the summer. The flat is close to trails. So not bad at all really!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Just sneaked in on a cheeky place in Hotwells.. First day looking, my mate viewed it and done.. Easiest house hunting ever. Except I’ve just given myself a 7 mile ride to work every day.. Looking forward to winter!

I can’t offer any advice I’m afraid, as I’m new to Bristol, but come and drop by for a cup of tea at Webbs of Warmley after the 2nd May. I’ll be running the workshop there.

WildHunter2009

St Annes is alright, load of my old uni mates have ended up there. Nice rides along the river towards Hanham, nice ride into the city and St georges skateparks pretty close if you feel the need to hurt yourself.

khegs
    Free Member

Heh, I just moved to Bristol 6 months ago, in totterdown, which suits me nicely.

Should be getting dragged out on the trails by a workmate now I have finally got my bike up here 😉

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks for all the help guys!

we’ve all but secured a 3 bed place in windmill hill (after a rather stressed morning working out what we wanted from a property!)

thanks to clubber for originally linking to it on that epic bristol thread from last week!

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, cool 🙂 You’ll be nearly a neighbour 🙂 It’s a great area I reckon. BS3 rules!

I guess that the train wasn’t too near to be a problem then?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ha, excellent… one of our guys is originally from bristol, so he’s quite keen on the area too.

we’re conveniently ignoring the proximity of the train 😐

(previous tennent was there for 5 years aparently, so can’t be too bad…)

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Windmill Hill is nice, much better option than St Annes or Redfield. As clubber says, BS3 rules!!

wallop

Ah Windmill Hill is cool. Make sure you venture across the park for the best pint in Bristol in the Star and Dove. Alternatively stay in Windmill Hill and go to The Victoria Park pub for the best food in Bristol!

wrecker
    Free Member

Congratulations hungry monkey and welcome to Bristol.

deluded
    Free Member

Congratulations hungry monkey and welcome to Bristol.

+1

Very active MTB scene and lots of people to go out with for a blast round AC, LW & 50 Acre – now right on your doorstep!

All the best.

boxfish
    Free Member

we’re conveniently ignoring the proximity of the train

You’ll be all right. I lived on Cotswold Road off Windmill Hill for a couple of years with the train track running past the garden outside my bedroom window. After the first night, I didn’t even hear the trains!

khegs
    Free Member

Bah, the Oxford is far superior, and nothing like as stabby as it apparently used to be 😉

Also, mrs brown’s cafe in vicky park does the best bacon butties anywhere near windmill hill or totters.

Looks like there is a decent sized bs3 posse here

wallop

Well The Oxford was once the scene of a bar fight which involved a hammer, and a previous landlady got done for handling stolen goods. It has definitely improved, but not as much as Ali Kebab, now known as The Oxford Grill! 😆

clubber
    Free Member

Shakey? (Shakespeare) for shabby pubness or the thunderbolt for music. Banco or Boca for more upmarket. oh and Thali Thai for food!

Vic park food is excellent too.

wallop

Shakey for pub quizzes and the best music festival there ever was. I’m a bit over Banco these days though, it’s nowhere near as good as it used to be.

khegs
    Free Member

Shakey was closed for refurb for 6 months and isn’t quite the same anymore, the landlord retired as well.

The new found out is a good locally boozer that was in Being Human a while back.
    avonpacket is a good quirky look at bristol’s pubs 😉

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

aw cheers guys – am dead excited (other than the fact that i’ll be working 2 jobs, so not much free time for a while!). will be arriving on the 7th May, living in fraser street.

whats the spotty (spotted?) cow like as a pub?

will have to hook up with some BS3 STWers at some point!

khegs
    Free Member

It’s apparently a bit studenty and hipster.

It’s fun, going out to Leigh woods for the first time tomorrow, with colleague from work.

Good after work riding, can’t wait.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’d better grab some jeans off my sister in that case 😉

btw, anyone know of any part time, flexible jobs in the area? good customer service skills, data entry, SEO etc!

khegs
    Free Member

Not sure about part time, but the charity I work for is opening a customer services centre in Bristol soon

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

if they have p/t, let me know! already work full time on my own project, but need a p/t job to keep some money rolling in..!

wallop

Spotted Cow is full of coked up scaffolders on a Saturday night, the Hen & Chicken is usually a bit more ‘young professional’ so it depends on what floats your boat I guess.

noteeth
    Free Member

Welcome to Brizzle, monkey. If you’re on Windmill Hill, The Windmill is a good little boozer.

The Victoria Park pub

They’ve done a good job turning that place (i.e. The Raymend) around. I lived on Almorah Rd for about five years – I wish they’d gotten there a bit sooner (and let’s not even mention The Park House….).

Spotted Cow is full of coked up scaffolders

True. Mind you, it’s North Street – by day, they are probably deli-frequenting Guardianistas. 😀

cheers_drive

True. Mind you, it’s North Street – by day, they are probably deli-frequenting Guardianistas.

The ‘deli-frequenting Guardianistas‘ zone on North street is just between the Hen and Chicken and the Tobacco Factory.
    Wallop – Great description of the of the Spotted Cow 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

The ‘deli-frequenting Guardianistas’ zone

North Street has some amusing variety… I’m glad the Old Bookshop cafe/bar place seems to be doing well.

Wallop should definitely consider an alternative career in succinct & on-the-money pub reviews. 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bristol people – st anns or redfield?’ is closed to new replies.