Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brake hose through Orange 5 swing arm suggestions, please
  • ononeorange

When I replaced the rear brake on my Orange 5, I taped the new hose onto the old one and attempted to pull it through. The tape fell off halfway through with predictable results, and it took a lot of perseverance to somehow get the hose through that little hole at the back.

Now I'm changing the brakes on Mrs Ononeorange's 5, and don't want to do a repeat…..suggestions please before I make another cods of it!

Ideas so far:

– Tape again (not happy with that after last time's abject failure – the small size of the hole means you can't get much tape on);

– Insert some thin wire through the old hose and slide the new hose over it (difficulty there is getting hold of the right guage wire / not leaving some crap in the hose inadvertantly);

– Cross fingers and hope.

Anyone tried it / worked out a better way?

barrykellett
    Free Member

Wire coat hanger and a good dose of persistence.

falkirk-mark

think the wire is your best bet

4ndyB
    Free Member

+1 for wire coat hanger

ononeorange

That's pretty unanimous, then! Ok, I'll have a go at getting a coathanger through the hoses at the weekend.

Cheers for the quick responses. Much appreciated.

.duncan
    Free Member

tape will work.. just remember to push it with one hand from one end while still pulling it through.

hora
    Free Member

wheel spoke did mine fine.

FAIL
    Free Member

Use a zip tie. Make a loop a few cm's across, poke that in the hole, feed the hose down the swingarm until you get it in the loop and pull it out. Worked for me.

el_creedo
    Free Member

What brakes are you running?
    For my Avid's (applies to Elixir or Juicy), i used IKEA picture hanging wire, because it's pliable and has a nice plastic coating so less likely to scratch anything.

– Thread picture wire through swingarm, should be pretty easy
    – Unscrew the barb on the end of the hose (or the fittings if they're Goodridge) slightly and wrap the wire once around it's shaft, then screw that back in to the hose to give a good grip.
    – Pull wire back through, should bring it through first time

Rejoice! i love the idea of the hidden cables/hoses, but hate the practice of doing it!

al2000

wheel spoke did mine fine.

Mine too – I screwed the threaded end into the hose, which fastened it securely with no need for tape or similar. Almost makes it easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

I poked the hose down the swingarm so I could see it in the hole at the other end – then I hooked it out with a spoke. For this to work though I had to bend the last few mm of the hose a bit, like 45 degrees, otherwise I couldn't hook it out.

ononeorange

Thnaks for the further comments (can't access STW whilst sitting at work hence silence).

elcreedo – current brakes are Juicy 7's, replacements are M4's.

Cheers

foxyrider
    Free Member

Garden Wire here – poked into the hole and lots of tape up and down so it grips but not making the overall diam to big 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Pick & hook set from Machine Mart, one to hook around the hose and hold it steady, the other to stick into the end and guide it out whilst pushing the hose through from the front.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I only ever had to do this once but I would a spoke into the end of the hose (good fit luckily) and then fed a loop of old gear cable in through the exit hole. I could then hook the spoke (flanged end)with the gear cable loop and guide it out.

jordie
    Free Member

run a inner gear cable through the brake hose first.Then run gear cable through swingarm then just pull the brake hose through simple.Also works on running the other side too.

steelfan
    Free Member

As jordie says, Its really simple and works everytime.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

As jordie says 😉

ivantate
    Free Member

I pushed it through from the back and then cut the grommet and spent ages getting it to fit with a tiny screwdriver. MUPPET ALERT!!!

Any of the above is a great idea, I think Orange do it with a length of welding wire.

ononeorange

Wahey! My biggest thread I think – all these suggestions. Thanks guys.

I like the gear cable one and will attempt to apply at the weekend.

Thanks again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brake hose through Orange 5 swing arm suggestions, please’ is closed to new replies.