Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Brake fluid….? Mushy brakes content
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, a good condition used calliper didn’t fix it.

And Venhill say that braided hoses don’t degrade. But I’m not sure I believe them to be perfectly honest.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

double post

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Vespa = Italian

There is your answer. Enjoy.

(twice in one day for this pic 🙂 )

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get stuffed ADH! 😛

(FYI I imagine the ‘Heng Tong’ branded parts the brakes are made from are, ohh, possibly Taiwaneese or Korean….??? Long shot I know….)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, I sent off to Venhill for a custom made hose (£32 delivered, bargain) and it was delivered today.

I just had the time to chuck it all randomly together and bleed, and, on a swift basic test, it seems to be fixed.

So it was the hose. I was right. (and that’s TWICE I’ve been right today, a record I think!)

Which was my first thought, before Modern Vespa forum led me to replace the master cylinder (£45) and STW led me to replace the calliper (£38)
    I’m not annoyed. Really I’m not.

But by fek that’s the last time I listen to anybody else with anything mechanical! 😈

(I’m gonna pull the old hose apart and have a look inside. The old calliper and M/cyl are OK and I’ll sell them on.)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Which was my first thought, before Modern Vespa forum led me to replace the master cylinder (£45) and STW led me to replace the calliper (£38)

Well, you wouldn’t listen to me and TJ

TJ is correct, old fluid will only give you mushyness when you overheat it. I suggest you’ve either bled it wrong or your braided hose has a problem. Weepy seals in either caliper or master cyl will be identifiable by a creep test – get a fairly strong elastic to hold the brake on, leave it a day or two and see if it’s at the bar when you get back. If it is you have a leak, but it’s unlikely to make it mushy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fair point CK, I’d not re-read the whole thread again and missed that, my mistake. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Damn, now I mentioned it on the other thread I look like a glory seeking arse. Self publicity fail.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Brake fluid….? Mushy brakes content’ is closed to new replies.