Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Brainstorming about the On One 456 Steel Frame
  • bendedheadtube
    Free Member

A friend offered me a On One 456 Steel Frame. It is about 2 years old.
    What do i have to know about this frame.
    Weaknesses, Strength, Riding Style.

clubber
    Free Member

weakness – a bit heavy, not a lot of chainring clearance

strength – handling, price, tough

style – pretty much anything except full on xc racing

vinnyeh

It was designed by Brant Richards. 😆

Is it not cheap enough that you can’t buy it and find out for yourself (surely must be less than 100 quid), and sell on if you don’t like it?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Its just a good frame. Nothing fancy but strong, good at climbing, great at going down and bundles of fun.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

@vinnyeh
    I had an “unsuccessful” project. I just don´t want to spend the last few month of summer for another project with a unhappy end.

Is there enough clearance for a big rubber, like the schwalbe muddy mary 2.5
    What about the dropping capability?

clubber
    Free Member

big clearance and no seat tube bottle cage so you can drop the post as far as you like.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

That sounds good.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

what is the “chainsucking”.
    I had a couple of google hits, where people are complaining about this phenomenon.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

bendedheadtube – Member

what is the “chainsucking”.

it’s where people complain about their drive-train and blame it on the frame.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

so the chain drops to the “inner side” (Left side of the smallest Chainring)?
    Nothing uncommon, when the chainring is worn down.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The chain issue with the frame is, the chainstay is so close to the chain rings that if the chain sucks or jumps off to the inside, it jams between the chainstay and chain rings, usually cosmetically damaging the chainstay. It’s not that big a deal really, bit of a design flaw, I’ve never had the chain jump off with my 456 frame.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I managed to cut through the stay with my chain without really noticing on my steel 456. Apparently one is not supposed to use a bigger ring than a 32T middle. I was using a 36T.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

no wrapping of the chain around the crank, so that i have to shove my bike back to my garage?
    Is it “Field Fixable”

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

First thought : Doddamn Heavy.
    Secont thought : Das ist verdammt schwer.
    Third thought : not bad.

The Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.5 are contacting the front derailleur cage.
    But the rubber is very thick, and the studs are beyond the flanks of the tyre. (a little tiny bit).
    So on the first ride, i can´t use the smallest chainring.
    Tomorrow i mount some smaller rubbers (2,35)

Inbred456
    Free Member

Long top tube, which is fine for me as I’m a bit of an ape. Stiff back end, not as supple as some other steel frames out there. Slack head angle great for Knarly descents, very stable. I always feel as if I am having to push the fork through stuff on the trail. Front end grip is great, to great if you know what I mean. If I had my time again I’d go for a Scandal but I’m not as hardcore as I thought I was. Bit of a wimpy XC boy! Frame is strong and well made. BB runs true and I’ve only ever had chain suck with Alloy rings. I would give it a try if you don’t like it you could always pass it on and try something else. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

P20

I enjoyed mine. Tough, fun and cheap. I changed to the carbon because of the weight and more importantly the ride comfort

valleydaddy
    Free Member

only had mine for a short while and was a hoot only sold it to try a 29er HT

If I was after a good value 26″ HT I wouldn’t hesitate getting another

P20

Oh and if you’re looking 2nd hand, I sold mine for around £85 in great condition if that helps

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fun fun fun

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

I sold mine for around £85

This frame has a FSA Headset and slightly scratches on the paint.
    No dents, no rust.

igm

Big rubber can contact the front mech on triple ring set ups.

Otherwise use and abuse and it’ll come back for more – which is acceptable with bikes apparently.

Northwind

They’re pretty decent. Good handling… Not a bad weight either, for what they are. To me they feel pretty dead and a bit unresponsive, there’s just something uninspiring and adequate about them but for the money adequate is still very good.

What sort of riding? Practically anything.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

Complaining about the weight of the front wheel:
    (Weight distribution)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7UX9pWtmo[/video]

It is also the second time this year, i had a properly mountainbike

Gary_C

😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

Climbs like a dead dog

Not a chance of a 2.5 in there was tight with a 2.35

Descends like a scalded cat ! So much fun and takes everything i can throw at it …… I used it in the alps – its fr sale now as in scotland its too heavy too slack and i have no real use for it !

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

Today it rains the whole day, so i had no chance of trying the climbing ability of the frame.
    The 2.5 muddy mary´s are hitting the front deteileur cage.
    With 2.35 is it a TIGHT fit (and i had to turn the deteileur slightly clockwise, to avoid rubber contact).
    The backend of the frame is stiff. Very stiff. 100% control if the weight distribution is 0 / 100%

andyl
    Free Member

Your front tyres must last you ages! 😀 I can’t even wheelie for 10 seconds let along 5 minutes!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

weakness – a bit heavy, not a lot of chainring clearance

strength – handling, price, tough

style – pretty much anything except full on xc racing

+1

Rear end lacks a bit of subtley but it just loves being chucked downhill

trout
    Free Member

Just do away with all that excess weight and get a unicycle 😉

I want to wheelie 😐

trail_rat
    Free Member

You have a very short stem on there . I ran a 90 to keep the front end on ground

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

unicycle

I haven´t found a 150mm travel unicycle yet. And if one wheel breaks, i still have one (brandnew) spare.

I bought the stem for another bike, …
    I often stand on the bike, so it is ok to have a short stem.

julioflo
    Free Member

Wheelie respect. For a minute there I thought you were wheelying[?] without feathering the rear brake….then I realised you have Euro Styley brakes set up….

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

The longest wheelie without brakes is about 50meters.
    Euro set up?
    I thought having the rear brake on the right side is standard.
    The right hand is mostly the strongest hand, and to take the drag of the hoses into a count, i thought this is the best solution.

Woody
    Free Member

I think I would have tried to overcome the fear of dogs and stopped for a breather at around 3min 18secs 😉

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

Nope, the fear of dogs has won,
    this time….

JustGoRide
    Free Member

That video is cool and you sir are mad! Fantastic wheelie skills! 😀

marka.
    Free Member

I definitely can’t do that.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Great video!

ahwiles
    Free Member

bendedheadtube – Member
    Euro set up?

rear brake connected to right-hand brake-lever

front brake connected to left-hand lever.

Americans do the same i think (?)

British style is opposite to this.

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

i had ridden a bike with a setup like this. (borrowed)
    The owner did not tell, that the brakes are flipped to the “British Style”.
    I was used to ride the bikes with the “European Brake style” and want to do a skid on wet cobblestone street.
    I crapped my pants, but i did not fall. the front tyre was immediately blocked. The bike was sliding over the front tyre for about 4 meters on a foreign bike.
    Since yesterday i thought the flipped (British) style is just the one in a million, and the european the standard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Brainstorming about the On One 456 Steel Frame’ is closed to new replies.