Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bought some paint the other day from an auction. Xylene Epoxy Resin
  • redthunder
    Free Member

In amongst is was this:

Leighs Additive for use with L425/M455 4l
    Xylene Triethylenetetetramine
    and
    Epigrip M455V2 Hi Build Sheen Protective Finish LightGrey 16l
    Xylene Epoxy Resin

http://www.leighspaintsonline.co.uk/epigrip-l425-two-pack-epoxy-zinc-phosphate-primer-34-p.asp

Found out it’s quite expensive and was wondering anyone here knows where I could shift it. Mayby somebody here is in the floor surfacing trade.

Thoughts or contacts 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

I used to work for Leighs!

Not sure why someone would want it for floors mind. It’s a anti corrosive primer designed to applied directly to metal to prevent oxidation. Not much use without an intermediate and/or topcoat.

I wouldn’t open the Triethylenetetraamine, it’s not something you want to be handling without proper ppe.

It’s hazardous waste so you will struggle to dispose of it. No idea who would want to buy it from you.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thats a pity.

I did manage to spill a tin on concrete area in front of workshops.

It was the additive… any idea what to clean it up with ,. white spirit ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cillit Bang.

redthunder
    Free Member

Cillit Bang… 🙂 It might do…

It does say highly flammable on the tin.

I’ve covered it in cement dust at the moment. I carefully scrap it up tomorrow.

jonba
    Free Member

Fookin ell you are a numpty.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0538/0901b80380538c21.pdf?filepath=productsafety/pdfs/noreg/233-00310.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Use sand, scrape it up and put it back in the tin.

Get some gloves, wear eye protection cover your skin and try not to breath too much of it in, our lab procedures involve ventilators for small spills or air supplied hoods for larger ones.

If you’ve been handling it and have it on you then have a shower.

Once you’ve got most of it up white spirits on a rag should help shift the last bit.

There will be a number on the tin to phone if you have any concerns, they might be able to help you dispose of it or provide you with information on what to do with it but that might cost £££.

You might be able to mix up and pot off any unwanted material but I can’t remember how exothermic that one is.

maccruiskeen

Brilliant!

Next time I’ve got some toxic waste to suppose of – instead of paying for disposal I’ll just stick it in an auction and make a few bob 😀

To make disposal easier – if you’ve got the two parts – the resin and the catalyst – then mix them (reading the instructions first – mind how hot it might get) so you’ve got a lump of stuff that you can chuck in a skip rather than toxic gunk that can leak/spill/contaminate etc and costs money and bother for a licensed carrier to take away

leffeboy

hehe, beat me to it. Remember to write ‘rare’ on the tin first 🙂

maccruiskeen

Remember to write ‘rare’ on the tin first

I would go with “Organic” 😛

matt_outandabout

hmmmm, spent last two days painting similar stuff on a boat….

redthunder
    Free Member

It was from a general auction. It was in amongst Bitumen Cutback that I needed. Bit of a pisser dropping the tin :-(. Thankfully didn’t get any on me and it was outside.

@matt

Could you use it ?

muddodger
    Free Member

LOL!
    Reminds me of Only fools and horses where they bought the luminous paint, or the scrap lawnmower parts! 😆

[Derek Trotter] you plonker redthunder [Derek Trotter]

redthunder
    Free Member

[Derek Trotter] you plonker redthunder [Derek Trotter]

LOL

Done all right on the Bitumen though 🙂

As you say only Fools and horses work 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bought some paint the other day from an auction. Xylene Epoxy Resin’ is closed to new replies.