• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by stuc.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • boost frame none boost crank?
  • D0NK

Anyone using a boost frame with a none boost crank/chainring? Wolftooth seem to think it’s doable in many cases*. I’m thinking of running a none-boost direct mount ring on my cinch cranks, looks like there’s plenty of room on my frame.

Anyone tried it?

*assuming I’ve read it correctly

benpinnick

Its down to the frame / crank combo, but as a rule expect to get at least a 32T normal chainline on a boost set up.

mat8246
    Free Member

Yes! The boost spacing is more to do with adequate chainring clearance than chainline. Depending on individual setup chainline may actually be improved for the lower gears by using non boost cranks.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I run a non boost crank on a boost frame.

A 32T oval is probably 1mm from the chainstay, so I could just about fit a normal 34T on there.

D0NK

A 32T oval is probably 1mm from the chainstay

sounds close, wolftooth say 3mm

Its down to the frame / crank combo

That’s what I figured, my current 32 boost ring is ~6mm from chain stay so a smaller 30t should have plenty of room

Tracey

We fitted some SRAM X0 GXPs to Abigale Enduro so we could standardised across all our bikes. Took off the new Race Face Aeffect. Had trouble getting the correct chain line. A Chromag zero offset was too far out and a One Up was too far in. Managed to get a 3mm boost SRAM direct mount ring which is now in the right place. Very difficult to find a 28t direct mount ring. Chromag do one but it’s not been imported as yet

stuc
    Free Member

I’m running a non boost raceface cinch crank on a boost frame – Cotic Flare Max. It was built up with parts transferred from a non boost frame so I questioned this myself with shop. They said it’s not an issue and as you’ve been advised in a lot of instances they felt it improves chainline. Ive not had any issues so far in a month of riding it.

I think one of the chainring manufacturers making cinch compatible rings also makes an offset one to ‘boost’ and non boost crank.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘boost frame none boost crank?’ is closed to new replies.