• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by igm.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Boo to London!!! TdF no go.
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Fine by me.

Doesn’t really encourage cycling in the City, just costs £m’s to host..

cookeaa

While I enjoy watching the tour and the Yorkshire stages were a success I can’t help thinking that TFL essentially part subsidising a commercial sporting event is, an essentially French one at that, is a bit askew…

Considering the growth in UK cycling interest I would hope we could rustle up more support for the tour of Britain instead…

edhornby

This means that every other bit of the UK gets first refusal – remember how everyone at sport england were pissed off that welco e to Yorkshire sealed the deal on the grand depart and London then wanted in on the act?

martinhutch

Going through the entire bidding process then pulling out the day before contracts is somewhat taking the piss, wasting the organiser’s time and it certainly won’t improve the chances of another British Grand Depart any time soon.

If only TFL had had a recent example of the TdF visiting the UK to use to predict the likely cost and benefits before bidding….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It was very good for getting a lot of money for resurfacing roads 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

A shame as I’m sure either Edinburgh or Manchester (who London beat to the race to host it) would have put on a great grand depart that would have built on the good work done by Yorkshire
    Very poor by TfL to go through all the bidding and then pull out at the 11th hour

scaredypants

tosseurs ! 🙄

IvanDobski
    Free Member

No great loss really, couple of times up Box Hill and a sprint up the Mall? Yawn off.

Stoner
    Free Member

No great loss really, couple of times up Box Hill and a sprint up the Mall? Yawn off.

Pfft. Rag it down to Dover and then TT through the tunnel to Calais!

edlong
    Free Member

A shame as I’m sure either Edinburgh or Manchester (who London beat to the race to host it) would have put on a great grand depart that would have built on the good work done by Yorkshire
    Very poor by TfL to go through all the bidding and then pull out at the 11th hour

This mainly. Not only stopped either hosting it this year, but massively reduced the chances of the UK getting another one any time soon, anywhere. I’m actually really quite angered by this.

Basil

Good decision,poorly delivered

edlong
    Free Member

In what possible world is it a good decision to bid for something you don’t know if you can afford to do? Not bidding at all might have been a good decision..

bikebouy
    Free Member

They clearly did a Business Case BEFORE they bid, the world turned again and someone said “save the money, spend it on real stuff”

I agree.

True the message was close to the line, but before it and delivered so others can opt in/out or indeed shake it all about.

Now, that £6m..?

Clearly going into cycle infrastructure No?? 😆

Basil

Good decision not to hold the event
    Poorly delivered by getting to the day before contract

RustySpanner

You know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    😐

You’ve no soul.

igm

Poor decision if they had done their sums right.

I wonder if Mr Verity is on the phone to M. Prudhoe and the city fathers of Manchester and Edinburgh.

Sadly 218 miles is a little long for a stage or depart Manchester to finish uphill on the Royal Mile with the finish line at the castle gates would be nice.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Boo to London!!! TdF no go.’ is closed to new replies.