Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Boardman FS Refresh?
  • blokie
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I’m considering a Boardman Pro FS, but doing some research it looks like the current model was released in early 2016 and based on the Boardman 2 year cycle should be due a refresh imminently.

Is this correct, and if so does anybody know when the new model is due for release and also any indication of the spec & pricing?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Boardman Pro FS:
    great bike!

The update issue we discussed also a bit in thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nearly-three-years-calibre-bossnut-no-remorse
    from crazyjenkins01 bloke:

Seems a lot of love for the Bossnut!
    I did consider the Boardman team as well, but as I couldn’t go up to the Pro I just went with gut…

I’m sure there will be a V3, its been too popular not to. I think there was a 2 year gap between the V1 and V2 (not counting the slight re-design due to frame rub) so would imagine the V3 will be out 2019ish. Same idea as Boardman as well.

Boardman FS, last big update – as you say 2016?
    According to crazyjenkins01 bloke and you: new version earliest 2018????

Will be great. In above thread many good things about the Boardman FS.
    The “Pro” with the PIKE is a blast!

For us bikers really great: the “battle” between Boardman FS and Calibre Bossnut.

Your update question: yes – will be very good to find out.
    Good question!

johnnystorm

When the “old” ones appear with 30% off then the new one will be imminent! 😉

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

When the “old” ones appear with 30% off then the new one will be imminent!

Good point.
    Right now the FS Team £900 instead of £1000
    and the FS Team remains at £1,500

With your logic: nothing early 2018 will happen…
    🙁

fossy

Managed to get my 2014 Pro FS for less than £1,000 about 18 months ago.

Very happy with it, and mine came with Guide RS

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

my 2014 Pro FS for less than £1,000 about 18 months ago.

That bike had the revelation fork I guess.
    Good deal. Extremely good price.

But wouldn’t wait for the current Pro “Pike-fork” model to drop ever down soooo far…

blokie
    Free Member

I think best case in a sale would be 20% off taking it down to £1200 (so with my discount would be £960!), but more likely 10% taking it to £1350 (so £1080 with my additional 20%). I’m pretty sure I’d pull the trigger on either of those as I’m still a relative newbie so pretty uncomfortable navigating the 2nd hand market within that sort of price range!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Doesn’t make sense to go second hand if you get a hardtail with PIKE in this price range.
    If you ever get the FS PRO bike for £1080: yes buy right away!

fossy

Yes the Rev fork, and RT rear can. It was an impulse buy as I’d had my spine broken cycling to work on my fixie (proper road bike with one gear, not a trendy bling thing) in Nov 2015. It was a bloody bargain with the kit having been a roadie that dabbled with MTB – still use my 90’s rigid.

The thing is, the old bike was no good for stopping – it climbed well, but my god, it didn’t stop, and I wanted some relief for my back with the suspension.

For the money, you could pay nearly £2.5k for a Trek/Spesh and I’m no ‘jumper’. I was a good climber before I broke my back, but going down hill off road now fills me with some fear having very badly droken my spine on a bloody road bike (driver turned right across my path, slow speed… SNAP).

The Pro FS has been great for the money. I can’t fault it as I’m bloody good at my own maintenance having been doing it on high end road bikes for 30 years.

And I’m not too precious about scratches, as it came with a couple of paint chips – that got the price down. I said give me a good price and I’ll take it, after the shop said it was “tatty”. It just needed a wash and a clean and a couple of chips painting. It’s an MTB… they get battered.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My Pro FS has been superb for the last 15 months. £1080 with discounts and 0% so I rode it for 6 weeks before I paid a penny. Now that’s good VFM!!

I’ve had to replace quite a few parts due wear and tear and some faults on assembly, some were replaced FOC under warranty. Basically they mis-spec’d and mis-fitted the drivetrain trashing it. Wheels have been replaced as kept snapping spokes on the XM319s.

It’s a hoot. Time for a shock and fork service soon. Will ride it for another 12 months and maybe update it with a new one or something like a Whyte or Bird….. maybe……!

johnnystorm

I appreciate your honesty but your review doesn’t actually make your bike sound superb!

joebristol

To add balance I had the 2014 Pro FS too which I ran for about 2 years. Extended the travel on the Revelations to 150mm and upgraded the tyres. Also switched cheaply to 1×10 with a bigger range cassette and NW chainring.

I chucked it down several uplift days at bike park Wales and Flyup 417 along with multiple runs down the downhills tab cwmcarn. Also used it most weeks at Ashton Court / Leigh woods.

Only had one proper crash really and I looked after it pretty rigorously.

I didn’t break or wear out any of the standard parts. The wheels were still true with no broken spokes when I sold it. The parts I changed were just through personal choice as indancies upgrades – nothing got broken / there wasn’t anything not up to the job.

As a starter / intermediate to full it’s probably. Good buy – especially as the newer model has Pikes and 1×11 GX.

CheesybeanZ

The new Boardman factory is still being built , I walked past it yesterday . Not due to open till March/ April next year so perhaps thats when the new models will appear .

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The new Boardman factory is still being built

Boardman factory: where are the bikes assembled – in Asia or in UK?

From some Asien countries there is no import tax (import to EU) for fully assembled bikes. Like from Cambodia.
    My guess was that these budget bikes are assembled in one of those countries.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@johnnystorm

No it’s a brilliant bike. It rides so well. Great brakes and spec.

But for me: They put the wrong rear derailleur on which ended up trashing the cranks as chain kept on coming off-all replaced FOC. Rear cassette was incorrectly installed though so splines were burred and it was impossible to remove.

I’d buy another tomorrow. I would fit stronger wheels and a dropper as I’ve done.

Handlebars replaced due crash damage!!

CheesybeanZ

Okay swap factory for warehouse , my mistake .

blokie
    Free Member

Just a heads up – Halfords have reduced the Pro FS to £1350, and if you use the code HAPPYXMAS10 (need to type the code in capitals) you get an additional 10% off taking it down to £1215.

If you have British Cycling you can get another 10% off that, and I also get 10% via my company reward scheme, so all in comes to about £950 which was too good a deal for me to pass up on – 3 figures was always my planned tipping point!!!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Blokie

There you go; a no-brainer!

Happy Christmas!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

so all in comes to about £950 which was too good a deal for me to pass up on

Fantastic!
    I was wrong so. Never expected a PIKE full suspension bike come down to 1 k…

But great news!
    😉

jupiter
    Free Member

I am also thinking of getting one, and at that price it seems mad not too. Does anyone know anything about replacing the shock rocker link with a betd one. I can’t see anything on their website but it supposedly lowers the bb height and slackens the head angle.

jezzep

I’ve had one for a year now. Without doubt the best bike I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned much more expensive bikes.
    Only issue I’ve had is the rear hanger but you can get a BETD one code 433 which is much better.
    I replaced the stem for a Renthal 25mm one as i have shortish arms and slightly wider kore bars.

BR
    jeZ

asbrooks

How does the geometry compare to modern standards? The pictures of it make it look like it’s short and high not long and low.

blokie
    Free Member

@jezzep – can’t seem to find that BETD hanger code 433, but Halfords have one on their site that says it’s for the fs pro and it’s code 269 – is it that one?? …..or searching for Boardman fs pro on the betd site comes back with 403 which I think might be the front one?

johnnystorm

AA membership gets you 10% off as well.

mikertroid
    Free Member

BETD 403 sounds right. Mine was changed from the OEM cheese one to a BETD under warranty. Although I’ve had to replace that with another BETD one since….

It’s pretty low and reasonably slack but a new linkage might be worth exploring….

jezzep

Opposite my last post 403 is correct do a web search for betd.
    The standard one is pretty fragile.

BR
    Jez

jupiter
    Free Member

HAPPYXMAS10 code no longer working. I am wondering what is the cheapest anyone has bought one for after applying all discounts?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Boardman FS Refresh?’ is closed to new replies.