Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • BMW's and the weather
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Brakes + ice = useless. It’s all about tyre grip and braking kills it completely. A rolling tyre “grips” much better than a braking/locked one.

Most of the time, people just enter bends too fast – always expect to lose grip and so drive at the appropriate speed – usually MUCH slower than expected.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A posh-successful-but-rub-it-in-your-face neighbour got his big-ass personalised RWD Chrysler stuck in the road blocking our way – I tried to help with some digging and shoving etc. But he kept using the accelerator so nothing was going to work. He’s too alpha-male let me drive. I couldn’t help a certain amount of inner-smirk at his discomfort.

The auto-socks need to go on the drive wheels. On a RWD, the engine weight over the front wheels provides enough steering grip.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So speed is more important that the ability to slow down and steer then. Hmmm – you learn something new every day.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Successful and owns a Chrysler? Ermmm 😉 😆

scotabroad

Yep my beemer is that bad it took me and Trekster to Dalbeattie to make the first tracks on the red route in -10ºC 🙂

shooterman

So far I’ve lost control of my 3 series 3 times in this bad weather. It’s braking that caused it each time. However, I am going to look at some winter tyres tomorrow.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Give me strength.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Scotabroad- my mate got his van almost lodged in the ditch on the drive to the main carpark. His first ever go at driving in the snow and he learnt a lot of lessons.

Mine got up there, but interestingly it’d only work reversing up the hill than taking it gently in 2nd/3rd- this is a fwd car. Any reason for this?

tonyd

No problems here with a 320d touring, I put some new tyres on last month which no doubt helps. As others have said if you turn off the traction control and drive appropriately then they’re only marginally worse than most FWD cars. I’ve seen a lot of 4WDs struggling in the snow during the school run.

Obviously it helps that I’m a FANTASTIC driver, passed my test after one lesson and shagged the (female) driving test examiner.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – yip – you turned it into a rear wheel drive. 😀

tonyd

SpokesCycles

Mine got up there, but interestingly it’d only work reversing up the hill than taking it gently in 2nd/3rd- this is a fwd car. Any reason for this?
    Probably more weight over the driving wheels provides more grip and traction. Same applies when it’s not snowing, you’ll often be able to reverse up a hill you cannot drive up forwards.

scotabroad

Simples – its a short steep hill by reversing up you got more weight onto the (front) driving wheels and hence more friction.

What I didnt say was mine turned into a sled coming back down it, should have went a smidge faster to keep the traction 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘BMW's and the weather’ is closed to new replies.