Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • BMW X3, what are they like?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Strangely tempted for some reason.

Please out me off. I’ve never owned a BMW

donsimon
    Free Member

I will point and laugh at you.

warton
    Free Member

My father in law has got one. never been off road (have any?) so can’t comment on that, but on road its comfy, quite quiet, eats diesel, rolls a lot in corners and is not quick despite a biggish engine. space is OK, but its no tardis.

I get the impression it does’t really know what it is, its not a ‘proper’ 4×4 and its not a road car.

Get a 3 series touring instead…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tango-Man
    Free Member

A mate, who is head salesman for a BMW dealership states “they are the worst car BMW have ever made”

KT1973
    Free Member

A mate, who is head salesman for a BMW dealership states “they are the worst car BMW have ever made”

I heard the same, although the brand new one is supposed to be much better.

cold
    Free Member

Used to have a 55 plate from new, it replaced a VW Touareg that I thought was a dog and the X3 came as a welcome surprise, bought the 2.0d sport and apart from it’s looks thought it was excellent, when buying it BMW salesman made no pretension that it was anything but a softroader, no underbody sump protection etc but we wanted something with space and 4 wheel drive with quality interior and it fitted the bill, drove well, running costs were low for. 4×4 and tyre wear ( major issue on VW) was excellent.

Mackem

The indicators on them dont seem to work.

hora
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for a 3 series touring.

nickf
    Free Member

Old ones were OK, though probably the worst things that BMW made. Didn’t make them a bad car, just not worth the money, and hardly worthy of the badge.

The new one is a lot better, though still very expensive, and it’s impossible to rationalise purchasing one. There are many, many better 4x4s, and as for better estates, either a 3- or 5-Series is a more reasonable choice. Almost everyone offers something better for a lower budget, or nicer for the same amount of money.

But if it’s what you want, it’s a good car. Not one I’d ever choose, mind you. Were I to be going for a 4×4 soft-roader, either the Ford Kuga or the Volvo XC60 would be my choice.

mos

we had a 2.0d with sports suspension. handled suprisingly well round corners but a pig over bumps, especially in the back. Would be fine in snow with correct tyres (although so would most things). Stiff suspension also cuased a few problems on our steep drive when turning across it to get in garage & ended up spinning opposite wheels.
    Our 1 series had a better range of steering wheel/seat movement to accommodate my lanky frame.
    Not a car i would buy again.

aP
    Free Member

It’s a car for people who feel they need to be defined by them.

spikester
    Free Member

“The indicators on them dont seem to work”

Thats because hairdressers that drive them have an exemption from the law that says they dont need to indicate

parkesie
    Free Member

nice cars 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d definitely get a touring something if you want space. Soft roaders are stupid and don’t have that much space in them ime.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We were given a 2.0D as a rental in Germany (free upgrade from a Golf). I’d heard a few times that it was the worst car BMW make but was, to my mild horror, pleasantly surprised. On German roads it was comfortable for 4 adults, quick enough (once i’d discovered the difference between the D and S settings on the auto box) and generally a nice place to be.

Still a ridiculous vehicle though – can’t you get a 5 series touring for the same money?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely the X1 has got to be worse? I mean what is the point of it ??

rootes1

Soft roaders are stupid and don’t have that much space in them ime.

agreed.. def case of ‘style’ over function

FuzzyWuzzy

Far better options out there for the money

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“they are the worst car BMW have ever made”

It’s a good job they weren’t made by BMW then :p

convert

My folks live on a tarmaced road but in the middle of no where in the Highlands. They have had all manner of 4×4 s,the last one being a hilux surf which was very capable off road (very beaten up military roads/ roads on estate land etc where unimogs travel with ease but not at full chat).

They wanted a slightly more civilized 4X4 that still had high enough clearances to push through virgin snow when needed and was nice and planted on road in the weeks of iffy conditions when having to make unavoidable hospital trips etc. It also needed to be a nice place to be for long trips to Englandshire with the confidence that they could probably make it home if the weather changed whilst they were away. As they are getting on a bit they were happy that the new 4X4 would never leave the tarmac so full on off roading was not needed.It also needed to be car like enough for my mum to drive it – she refused to drive the hilux.

In the end they got a mint low milage 55 plate X5 for £12.5K with lots of extras and bought it a second set of wheels with winter tyres. So far it seems to be exactly right for their needs.

I don’t know enough about these cars to know if the X3 is just a smaller X5 with similar caracteristics but if so and your expectations of off roading are suitably tempered (and you live somewhere that really needs a 4X4 on road vehicle rather than just a “normal car”) going by the X5 it does its particular niche in life reasonably well.

ivantate
    Free Member

I think they look ok, far more usable space than a 3 touring with the back up of 4×4.
    Plenty of armchair experts around quoting various magazines and tv programs which have singled out the weaknesses.

Very good engines so about as economical and fast as any of the softroading cars and depending what you what the 3.0 petrols and diesels have no direct competition in that size.

No-one likes BMWs or 4×4 on the forum (or most roads) so either think about getting a plasticky jap version for less money or an Octavia and you will get a pat on the back.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘BMW X3, what are they like?’ is closed to new replies.