Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • blinds/thermal screens for T5 camper
  • boxelder

I’ve looked on the camper sites and these look about best (I’ve had good dealings with kiravans before)
    Just wondered if anyone had better alternatives?
    I’ve gone down the karrimat and suckers DIY route previously.
    Ta

gwj72
    Free Member

Justkampers are cheaper but out of stock at the min’

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/t5/accessories/interior-accessories/thermo-mat-cab-kit-t5-supplied-with-suckers-j13001.html

JK’s stuff varies from the great to the crap, but I know bay and splitty owners who use JK’s thermal mats and find them fine.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My advice would be to use ‘external fit’ screens. They are far more effective at retaining heat and preventing condensation. The only issue is you cannot remove them and drive off without getting out of the vehicle, and this is only an issue if you intend to overnight in area that might have issues. We had a bit of concern with some neds in Dalbeattie carpark a few weeks ago.

boxelder

We had a bit of concern with some neds in Dalbeattie carpark a few weeks ago.

What do you mean? threatening behaviour?

Stoner
    Free Member

if you want to go proper VFM make your own using a couple of layers of double foil insulation glued together with some suckers attached.

can be done for about £5-10 a window.

In fact here’s some Ive made for my T4

back of sucker cup
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JOJkeoSoFsY/TgXJ3MJCW0I/AAAAAAAAM-k/ap3dlNcRuH8/s640/IMAG0342.jpg[/img]

boxelder

Stoner – how do you stop the sucker cups just pulling through?
    Do they roll OK for storage?
    Ta

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Turning up in the middle of the night, honking horns, revving engines, setting fire to stuff and throwing it about the carpark.

Annoying when trying to sleep.

Stoner
    Free Member

those suckers are two-piece and I super-glued them together sandwiching the insulation. For extra security you can sandwich an extra washer made out of a bit of thin plastic to prevent pull-through.

can be got from eBay for not a lot.

I may in fact have a load spare if you cant find small enough batch since you have to buy 20 or something…

they do roll, but I prefer to keep them flat. They live in the loft or under the sofa at home and travel in the roof of the van.

cranberry
    Free Member

Rather than use suction cups for the blinds in my Landy I got hold of some stick-on Velcro which is easier to put up/take down and less likely to fall off in the middle of the night.

onehundredthidiot

I’m with stoner. I “sealed” the edges with gaffa tape to stop separation.
    Cheap and easy and i suppose you can decide whether to go inside or out.

boxelder

stoner – may be interseted in the suckers if you find them. buying the insulation tomorrow.

Stoner
    Free Member

b-e, let me pop out to the shed… BRB

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive got 8x 32mm suckers with the second part rear pins. They only allow a very thin amount of material between the two parts when they are connected. This is OK with my set up, but more than 2ply might be tricky.

Have found these on eBay (my supplier on there no longer sells) and they look the biz.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-X-40mm-THUMB-TURN-NUT-SUCKERS-WINDOW-SUCTION-CUPS-/180684067736?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item2a119c1398#ht_2218wt_1080

and Id recommend them over what Ive got left over.

onehundredthidiot

ebay has suckers a-plenty (actually that statement works on many levels)

boxelder

stoner – thanks for that. The ones I have are one piece, so need to be taped/washered in place. Those on ebay look ideal.

Stoner
    Free Member

they work fine if I know Im going to need them and so pack them. They get in the way if you dont need them (i.e. dont fit them to the windows but need the bed space in the pop-roof) because they dont pack away very small.

I have some front cab “proper” ones that live in the rock’n’roll seat (and take up most of the space too), and yes they are better and roll up nicely. But they cost a bomb.

boxelder

Not too worried about warmth, so may go single ply. Or, I might just use blackout fabric.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do these blinds/thermal screen jobbies offer that much of a noticable advantage over normal curtains?

gwj72
    Free Member

Do these blinds/thermal screen jobbies offer that much of a noticable advantage over normal curtains?

Keep warmth in a bit when really cold, reflect the heat out a bit when really hot. Worthwhile definitely. Plus most campers don’t have curtains on the front windows so good for privacy.

Stoner
    Free Member

mainly privacy for the front but also in winter they do help a great deal in keeping the warmth in the back if you dont have double glazing.

Our T4 has tinted windows in the back which is an excellent idea and works fantastic for privacy and to keep the temp down in summer.

Ive removed the curtains that were in ours as they were not very good thermally.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘blinds/thermal screens for T5 camper’ is closed to new replies.