Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bikepacking seatpack and reverbs ?
  • iainc

Planning some stuff this Spring, and will be using my Soul, which has a Reverb, and a Revelate Pika seatpack.

I’m thinking the attachment webbing for the pack will be likely to scuff up the reverb stanchion so I’d be better popping on a fixed post for the adventures….

Not a huge PITA as it’s externally routed anyway, but wondering if there are any simple workarounds ?

scotroutes

Postierich mounted a second (cut-off) seatpost behind the dropper and fixed a bag to that.

However, you are unlikely to be dropping your seatpost with a bag attached (wheel/bag interface) so temporarily fitting a fixed seatpost would be fine for most folks.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve run one with a Wildcat Tiger harness – not too dissimilar to the Pika – on a small drop Reverb with and quite a bit of post section exposed with no issues. But, the bag was attached to the post section.

Only reason I used it was for riding in the Lakes, where more often than not you do want to get your seat down for descents.

FWIW, I probably wouldn’t bother again. But I’m happy enough riding with my saddle in the middle of my chest on steep descents.

iainc

cheers, will probably just swop over

jam-bo

i’ve covered the reverb stanchion with a small bore foam pipe cladding for a short trip. saves the hassle of removing and refitting a stealth reverb.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve used a Wildcat Tiger seat harness for some trips on my Reverb without any obvious problems, you just have to remember not to drop the post 😀 Don’t know what the strap on the Revelate is like in comparison to the Wildcat though.

benp1

Pics from different trips

benp1

I can still drop the seat a couple of inches with the seatpack attached, though still lots of undroppable section left

The only reason I have it like that is because I can’t be bothered to faff around with taking the seat on and off the post.

I usually drop the seat for rocky/techy descents when I’m bikepacking and have the reverb fitted

iainc

ben – thanks for pics – is that just a old towel or something ? have you found any scratching/abrasion to stanchion ?

richardthird

Wrap protect stanchion and fit the enduro collar to limit travel 🙂

You need to take the collar with you anyway, in case of post failure imho, so you may as well use it.

iainc

^^^^ yeah, the collar lives in my pack anyway 🙂

I hadn’t thought of that though – could use some clear duct tape round the bit above the collar which wont be going into the sleeve…..maybe less faff than removing and swopping over… will have a wee look later and see if pack fouls the hose/barb area etc and see what amount of drop I could still use, cheers

swanny853

Another vote for the collar- I was still using about half the reverb travel with an alpkit shaped bag. The only attachment to the post was a velcro strap wrapped very tightly round the collar. I don’t think it would have been stable with a much heavier load than some clothes though.

benp1

One is a cloth bag, and the other is a chamois from the car. I meant to make something specifically for it, but never got round to it

The chamois is because I forgot the piece of material I was going to use and I had that in the car! The cloth bag is a small bag that I can wrap around the post, and between the hose and post, without any issue. No marks on the post at all.

Saying that, I didn’t use it last weekend – for Friday at BPW and Sat/Sun bikepacking at the Bear Bones Winter Event, where it would have been handy – as it’s developed some sag so has gone back to SRAM. Doesn’t seem to be related at all, and it happens on plenty of other posts anyway

It’s definitely less faff with a normal seat post, but it’s more faff taking it off/on. Also then get the benefit of a minor seat post drop. For a couple of sections on the bikepacking trip I actually dropped my seat manually – rocky descent and a dodgy looking ford

iainc

thanks ben, great info, cheers

welshfarmer

Wrapped mine with closed cell foam and only fixed the seat pack to the saddle rails. Was still able to use the Reverb for most of its’ travel

montgomery
    Free Member

Sorry for the digression, but…

What’s the rear mudguard in that picture? Happy with it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For the twenty minutes it takes to change my stealth post over, I wouldn’t risk it. And that bit of rag wrapped around the stanchion has the potential to hold grit and water against the surface.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Thats a zefal deflector mudguard

benp1

Yep, it’s the RM29 mudguard. Very happy with it. Looks nicer than a mudhugger in my view, cheaper too

So happy with it I bought a second one to run on my rigid SS El Mariachi – has a proper front and rear mudguard for winter slop

Andy

This has got me thinking as I have swapped to normal seatpost to run a dropper, as I dont like the idea of something rubbing against a dropper post stanchion. But following Posties idea there needs to be an adaptor for dropper installed seatpacks. Something like a bar that runs from the saddle clamp bolts or saddle rails out, down and under the seatpack. Off to the shed this weekend if I get time 😀

Or just use a beam rack

STATO
    Free Member

Before i had a proper seatpack i used a carradice saddlebag support to help hold a drybag, would have worked ok with a reverb (saddle rail space might be an issue on some saddles though).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/akZdhF]Prep[/url] by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I wrap mine with a piece of innertube, with zipties both ends, worked for me 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

worked for me , was a week of bike packing and normal trail riding so was switching over a few times 🙂

one bolt USE seat post
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rn1kaa]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking seatpack and reverbs ?’ is closed to new replies.